Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,225 members, 7,825,865 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

10 Things You Can Do To Become A Better PHP Developer - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 10 Things You Can Do To Become A Better PHP Developer (1528 Views)

10 Things You Must Know And Have Before Creating A Blog / 10 Things You Must Have And Do Before Applying For Adsense / Intermediate PHP Developer Needed For Placement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Can Do To Become A Better PHP Developer by DualCore1: 8:09pm On Jul 31, 2013
1. Use PHP Core Functions and Classes
2. Create a Configuration File
3. Always Sanitize Data That Will Go into Your Database
4. Leave Error Reporting Turned On in Development Stage
5. Don’t Over-Comment Your Code
6. Keep Favorite Code Snippets Handy
7. Use a Good Source Editor to Save You Time
8. Use a MySQL Administration Tool (Like phpMyAdmin)
9. Use a PHP Framework
10. Connect with Other PHP Developers

For a full discussion of these points see the source.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Can Do To Become A Better PHP Developer by spikesC(m): 8:17pm On Jul 31, 2013
Omo, that your number 9 is highly subjective.
I don't use framworks (out of choice) cool

And your number 10, you really need to tell them which kind of php developers you gotta roll with lipsrsealed
Re: 10 Things You Can Do To Become A Better PHP Developer by DualCore1: 9:04pm On Jul 31, 2013
spikes C: Omo, that your number 9 is highly subjective.
I don't use framworks (out of choice) cool
If you're going to be working with simple linear db queries, populating tables with iterations through a data set, getting and setting things, performing simple operations with the < > && || == != operators and you're going to be doing these things all by yourself with no future liklihood of expansion or collaboration... yes, procedural normal PHP is just good to go.

If however you're going to be performing complex operations in collaboration with other developers doing different things at the same time to reach one common goal, you'll need a framework... a uniform approach to getting things done so you don't have to read a developer's code wondering just what variation of weed the developer was on at the time of writing.

Using frameworks and going OOP are in my opinion highly arguable points in the industry but it really boils down to the task. It may be counter productive to use OOP or frameworks for hello-world-like web applications.
Re: 10 Things You Can Do To Become A Better PHP Developer by spikesC(m): 11:12pm On Jul 31, 2013
Dual Core:
If you're going to be working with simple linear db queries, populating tables with iterations through a data set, getting and setting things, performing simple operations with the < > && || == != operators and you're going to be doing these things all by yourself with no future liklihood of expansion or collaboration... yes, procedural normal PHP is just good to go.

If however you're going to be performing complex operations in collaboration with other developers doing different things at the same time to reach one common goal, you'll need a framework... a uniform approach to getting things done so you don't have to read a developer's code wondering just what variation of weed the developer was on at the time of writing.

Using frameworks and going OOP are in my opinion highly arguable points in the industry but it really boils down to the task. It may be counter productive to use OOP or frameworks for hello-world-like web applications.

I am not against OOP but against frameworks.
Yes, when you work with a team (especially when new), frameworks does the magic. But really, i can't sacrifice cleanliness and speed for such bloated stuffs.

I prefer learning the in's of a framework, then apply the knowledge in your own custom way.

Besides, it's not a must to use frameworks in group developments, you just need to appoint a good head supervisor and make sure the group works together. Most organisations have in-house developed frameworks
Re: 10 Things You Can Do To Become A Better PHP Developer by DualCore1: 11:23pm On Jul 31, 2013
spikes C:
I prefer learning the in's of a framework, then apply the knowledge in your own custom way.
A framework is a predefined structure and pattern of getting stuff done optimizing time and productivity without sacrificing standards. Whether it is one of the many widely used ones or one developed by you, it is a framework.

Whether its a new team or a team made of of messi, iniesta and xavi... if these guys dont have a uniform structure of passing the codes around there will be avoidable chaos.
Re: 10 Things You Can Do To Become A Better PHP Developer by spikesC(m): 11:28pm On Jul 31, 2013
Dual Core:
A framework is a predefined structure and pattern of getting stuff done optimizing time and productivity without sacrificing standards. Whether it is one of the many widely used ones or one developed by you, it is a framework.

Whether its a new team or a team made of of messi, iniesta and xavi... if these guys dont have a uniform structure of passing the codes around there will be avoidable chaos.

I rest my case cool

(1) (Reply)

Who Can Explain This Nairaland Add Error / Free Website And Hosting / Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.