Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,876 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! (4289 Views)

Five Nigerian Rappers That Have Succesfully Transitioned To Singing ( Photos ) / Oprah Winfrey Offers Lindsay Lohan $2million To Interview Her / Photo Of The Day : Home Of Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by Ciaralover(f): 5:03pm On May 26, 2006
Everyone rapper seem to be talking about the so-called women of daytime telivision!!!
IT was my boo fiddy, luda then ice cube.I love how ice cube put it, he said she bring rapers, muderers, child molesters on her show but she cant bring a rapper.

What yall think should she bring rappers on her stupid ass show!!She is getting annoying to me, i love Ellen Degeners, her show is soo funny and she dont discriminate against rappers.
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by omogenaija(f): 4:48am On May 27, 2006
undecided undecided undecided

thanks 4 sharing that ciaralover.
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by hotangel2(f): 4:52am On May 27, 2006
I think they are right. Oprah is descriminating against rappers. I mean it's obvious.
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by thelma2(f): 10:46am On May 27, 2006
Why would'nt she? some Rappers use a lot of bullshit and swear words in their raps and that's exactly what she preaches against. but I also think the best way to curb that is to feature rappers in her shows so they can know the negative effect some words they use in their raps is to people.
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by mamaput(f): 1:03pm On May 27, 2006
Just maybe she don't want them to use her show as a promotion.
I do not know much about her
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by eveseh(f): 4:32pm On May 28, 2006
hmmmmmmmmmm, too bad
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by Idekeson(m): 2:05pm On May 30, 2006
As much as I love hip hop, every rapper ought to bow-down, listen and learn from the queen herself. None of them got nothing on Oprah. cool cool
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by DaHitler(m): 2:09pm On May 30, 2006
It is good she doesn't allow rapers on her show. As if the stereo-type of African Americans was not bad enough. Rappers negatively impact the image that African Americans have, and Oprah is doing the right thing by not allowing them to get free air time. They also have poor speaking skills.

Also note, that Oprah's audience is not interested in hearing anything about rappers. Most of them are middle aged women and I doubt they have even heard of Ludicris.
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by gidig(m): 4:14pm On May 30, 2006
I have loved and admired Oprah winfrey for several years.She is an icon for people generally. Oprah has built her show around certain values that most rappers do not fit in.Maybe a kanye may get her nod one of these days or the ex super star rappers who have now turned enterpreneurs but I dont think the message of most hip hop artistes/rappers fit into the Oprah agenda.

Why are they complaining.They have MTV !

haba!!
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by ToyM28(f): 4:20pm On May 30, 2006
gidig:

Why are they complaining.They have MTV !

haba!!

LMAO. That is sooooooo true. Dis rappers ve got MTV, which icudes, MTV BASE, MTV CHART SHOW. shldnt they be satisfied. Maybe Oprah just doesnt want to encourage the persception that she support (gansta and criminal behaviour). Cuz lets face it this guyz break a lot of rules, commit crimes nd to be serious, they all look like gangatas. Even Fifty sings bout it!
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by ldollier(f): 5:21pm On May 30, 2006
i totally understand the actions taken towards rappers by Oprah winfrey. As we all know, she is a very succesful black women that hates to see young black men brag about their riches, HOs, blings etc. Oprah kind of reminds me of Bill cosby. both of these individuals  are voicing their opinions on what they think of black people. for ex: uneducated, dropouts e.t.c.

Rap music encourages these young ones to pursue HOs, blings, chains, gangs, violence instead of education. just like afeni said, if you pay attention to Oprah's audience, Oprah's viewers you will see that they are less interested in hearing about rappers.

unfortunatly, i missed the airing of that particular show, but i heard of the incident over the Radio. from what i heard i didnt think that Oprah discriminated against Ludacris. as for ludacris allegations, i think its just another means for him to get his record sold.
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by Dauda(m): 5:34pm On May 30, 2006
Oprah suck. I hate her. I've never seen any of her shows because she has this self-righteous air about herself and her money. Rap is the African American expression of the daily struggle they go thru to survive. Why not help a brotha out? Luda is right about the allegation.
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by Rhodalyn(f): 5:38pm On May 30, 2006
it's her show and nothing U say will make her change her mind bout who she brings on or who she doesnt
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by Ciaralover(f): 5:44pm On May 30, 2006
Dauda:

Oprah suck. I hate her. I've never seen any of her shows because she has this self-righteous air about herself and her money. Rap is the African American expression of the daily struggle they go through to survive. Why not help a brotha out? Luda is right about the allegation.
OOO sexy, how i love u!!!I also hate that fat bitch!!!
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by Rhodalyn(f): 5:45pm On May 30, 2006
i Love her!
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by Efani(m): 6:01pm On May 30, 2006
she''s aiiight
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by DaHitler(m): 6:51pm On May 30, 2006
Ciaralover, what do you want her to do? Do you really want her to introduce these poorly educated and poorly behaved rappers to an audience numbering in the millions? As if African Americans are not already working hard enough to get rid of the image that they are stupid. You have no idea what you really want. As for me, I would rather not have to deal with the negative fallout because these high school drop outs (rappers) want to impress people by showing how "gangstar" they are.

Maybe your feelings about rappers would change when you get into the real world. Yep, the real world. Life is not a music video, reputation and perception matters a lot. And these rappers that you are constantly supporting are ruining the reputation of African American on a daily basis. You are better off pretending that they don't exist, and don't buy the CD's of the really rowdy ones.

Also, take the "N" word out of your sig.
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by sade511(f): 8:13pm On May 30, 2006
Yeah you should Ciaralover.
I dont blame Oprah. All of those rappers arent going to make her any money. And like most said before she doesnt need or want to be promoting pimps and hoes and stuff. Most of these rapppers rap about bullshit these days. . who ever said they rapper about thier struggles thats BULLSHIT. . . they rap about what makes them money. Most of them arent really what they say they are. . .all they do is put on big jeans, talk a certain way and wear "bling bling" and voula they are "gangsta".
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by nferyn(m): 8:19pm On May 30, 2006
Aah, where are the good old times of KRS-one, Grandmaster Flash and Public Enemy, Arrested Development, etc, when rap still had a message that went beyond bling bling

I'm getting old grin
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by mochafella(m): 8:26pm On May 30, 2006
Alright, I've seen this somewhere else too. and it seems Ice cube has been on Oprah's show, along with John Singleton during the promotion for Boyz-n-da-Hood.

Lets not forget Oprah's demographic too, The people who watch aren't exactly the most ardent listeners to hip-hop and rap. If he doesn't agree with her show, he should set-up his. Fine she's philanthropic and trys to help people out, but her show is not exactly a place to pursue civil rights, bottom line its about money for her, and bringing in rappers will likely turn off her target audience.

More on the debate here.
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by sade511(f): 8:40pm On May 30, 2006
Thank you Nferyn.
Now THEY were talking about thier struggles and life in the hood.
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by baby4u2(f): 10:57pm On May 30, 2006
Dauda:

Oprah suck. I hate her. I've never seen any of her shows because she has this self-righteous air about herself and her money. Rap is the African American expression of the daily struggle they go through to survive. Why not help a brotha out? Luda is right about the allegation.

@ Dauda, and u've never seen her show before yet u hate her so bad. she's not like ellen that started off as an actress or like trya as a model before they became talk show host. her identity from the start has been a talk show host, so am wondering where u know her from to behave conceited and self-righteous? watch before u judge.
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by ToyM28(f): 11:17pm On May 30, 2006
@baby, tell him oh. even if m not a big fan of oprah. i dont think its right 4 someone 2 jugde without knowing their left from their right!
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by bluenubian(f): 12:47am On May 31, 2006
i can't say if she's discriminating cause i don't know da whoel story, but i LOVE ellen, she's too cute plus she lets anyone on her show cause she knows how it feel to be the minority
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by bolex(m): 1:39am On May 31, 2006
She used to be a rapper you know tongue grin
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by ToyM28(f): 1:54am On May 31, 2006
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked NA LIE. shou?
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:24am On May 31, 2006
um oprah has had rappers on her show, She had Rebel-X offcourse 90% of yall don't even know he is, so nuff said
And she has had Will Smith, does that count
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by sade511(f): 2:25am On May 31, 2006
Im sayin. . . . she had Kanye on there too.
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:35am On May 31, 2006
my bad sade didnt c that post, tongue tongue
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by sade511(f): 3:00am On May 31, 2006
No I didnt mean that in a bad way. . . .I was just agreeing with you cheesy wink
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:06am On May 31, 2006
o ok cool grin grin grin
Re: Oprah Discriminates Against Rappers! by chinani(f): 4:09am On May 31, 2006
Man those self-aggrandizing Negroes need to get off Oprah. I don't appreciate them using the term "discriminate" since it's obviously not discrimination. As several posts have noted Oprah's had plenty of rappers, like Kanya, Luda-Luda, Will Smith (yes, he counts) and more, not too many more, but more.

It seems these men can't stand for anything of worth but they can stand against Oprah? Don't get me wrong, she's not a Saint but her show has a very clear theme that promotes women and encourages them to seek their "true" "inner selves".

I've watched enough of the program that I've heard her covertly & overtly criticize rappers and rap music for their messages. Now, what type of dumb hypocrite would she be if she turned 106 & Park on us and just let 50 sell CDs? Really with all this fuss she might have 1 or 2 on for a critical discussion. . .that I'd pay to see. But I don't think any of those men would want to hear the truth according to Oprah. She might accuse them of discrimination. wink

@Ciaralover
One thing we all need to realize is that media is often more powerful than textbooks. Oprah is viewed in. .how many countries? What she puts out changes people's idea just like rappers. When I was in college - gosh now I feel old undecided - I would meet Germans, Aussies, foreign exchange kids from ALL OVER THE WOLRD (literally) and I'd know like "you're Island's close to Fiji" or "Afrikaans's just bad Dutch" teasing and all they'd know about me is that I can shake my ass b/c I'm black. Lots of people will even admit that before coming to the US they think/thought all Black women were the chicken heads, bopping, Gold Diggers you see on BET. (The odd thing is they don't mean it in a "bad" why, it's just the way of the world to them.) No, rap music did not start womanizing or objectification or racism but why should rap music perpetuate it? And why do rappers have a right to be on Oprah? It's a free country sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

9ice: Nigerian Tiger Woods / Photos: Davido’s Mum ‘late Mrs Veronica Adeleke’ 10th Remebrance Anniversary / Watchout The Tattoo On This Lady's B00bs! S-exy Or Not?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.