Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,543 members, 7,827,029 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking (18430 Views)

Tonto Dikeh Buys For [$250,000] / Naijaloaded .com Has Been redeemed / Facebook Flaw Lets You View Someone's Private Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Ekiseme(m): 1:27pm On Aug 02, 2013
9jadelta: I wished it was naira land angry
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Odunharry(m): 1:32pm On Aug 02, 2013
hehehe...pipu go vex o
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Samoo01: 1:34pm On Aug 02, 2013
Slyr0x:

1. Click on Yahoo's Forgot My Password feature >> Yahoo asks for your phone number (one of the security options you opted for) >> You put in the phone number >> Yahoo sends you a verification code or they call you >> You type in the 6characters verification code and voila. .you are in.

2. For the Domain Name Registrar, that part is quite simple. The only email account connected to them is the hacked one. So basically, the forgot my password feature comes to play again. Request for a new password and a link gets sent to your mail.

Since when did Yahoo begin to accept Nigerian phone numbers in its password recovery page?
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by naturalwaves: 1:52pm On Aug 02, 2013
Slyr0x:

1. Click on Yahoo's Forgot My Password feature >> Yahoo asks for your phone number (one of the security options you opted for) >> You put in the phone number >> Yahoo sends you a verification code or they call you >> You type in the 6characters verification code and voila. .you are in.

2. For the Domain Name Registrar, that part is quite simple. The only email account connected to them is the hacked one. So basically, the forgot my password feature comes to play again. Request for a new password and a link gets sent to your mail.

Like I said, I have been through the process before so I know what I am saying. You only stated the start process without finishing it. The question is......did you change your password? I guess NO. Well, I have changed my password through that feature like two times in the past so let me start from where you stopped. When you get that verification through your mobile device, you will go back to the net link and put it there. When you submit, it will take you to the final verification process in which the security question prompts up. If you cannot provide a correct answer to that question, there is no way and it will be better you just open a new email addy cos it will never be succesful.

Moreover, by your argument, it means that once I know a person's phone number, I can quickly change his mail password anytime I have a little access to his phone like when the person is bathing , sleeping, charging etc. Does that make any sense to you? Though your DNR DNS explanation is well understood, the mail own remains an Abracadabra.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Slyr0x: 1:56pm On Aug 02, 2013
Samoo01:
Since when did Yahoo begin to accept Nigerian phone numbers in its password recovery page?

Find attached the screenshot (I'm sure you can see the +234)

Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by 1oracle(m): 1:59pm On Aug 02, 2013
That means by now we won't have hidden post and some useless moderators again grin grin grin grin
Guy but to be honest, you are too bad.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Slyr0x: 2:03pm On Aug 02, 2013
naturalwaves:

Like I said, I have been through the process before so I know what I am saying. You only stated the start process without finishing it. The question is......did you change your password? I guess NO. Well, I have changed my password through that feature like two times in the past so let me start from where you stopped. When you get that verification through your mobile device, you will go back to the net link and put it there. When you submit, it will take you to the final verification process in which the security question prompts up. If you cannot provide a correct answer to that question, there is no way and it will be better you just open a new email addy cos it will never be succesful.

Moreover, by your argument, it means that once I know a person's phone number, I can quickly change his mail password anytime I have a little access to his phone like when the person is bathing , sleeping, charging etc. Does that make any sense to you? Though your DNR DNS explanation is well understood, the mail own remains an Abracadabra.

Calm down oga and Learn. .

Yahoo has 3 options :

1.) Send a verification link to an alternate email address
2.) Send a verification code to your phone number
3.) Answer your secret questions.

Using your mobile phone number for password recovery

Mobile password recovery is a fast and safe way to get a new password for your account.
Recovering your password using your mobile number

Go to the Yahoo! Password Helper and select I have a problem with my password.
Enter your Yahoo! ID and the CAPTCHA word verification code.
Enter your mobile number | click Next.
Follow the instructions, and a text message [SMS] will be sent to the mobile number you've provided.
-In some cases, the text message may take up to 30 minutes to be received.
Once you receive the text message, follow the sign-in steps and change your password.

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&page=content&id=SLN2694

2 Likes

Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by 1oracle(m): 2:17pm On Aug 02, 2013
Let us not celebrate yet, the site is down(hacked again). The hackers placed a #50,000.00 price tag on the domain name.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by naturalwaves: 2:19pm On Aug 02, 2013
Slyr0x:

Calm down oga and Learn. .

Yahoo has 3 options :

1.) Send a verification link to an alternate email address
2.) Send a verification code to your phone number
3.) Answer your secret questions.

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&page=content&id=SLN2694

When I had the problem too, I thought it will be that easy. The last process says you should follow the sign in process after getting the verification on your mobile device. When the code was sent to me then, it came with a link to continue, after I did that, it still asked for the security question which was surprising to me cos I didn't know it will ask that again after chosing the mobile option. I had to eventually think and think well before I could get my answer and I was good to go. Same thing applies to gmail except if yahoo just changed the process which I doubt. Why not do the practicals and stop quoting links.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Slyr0x: 2:30pm On Aug 02, 2013
naturalwaves:
When I had the problem too, I thought it will be that easy. The last process says you should follow the sign in process after getting the verification on your mobile device. When the code was sent to me then, it came with a link to continue, after I did that, it still asked for the security question which was surprising to me cos I didn't know it will ask that again after chosing the mobile option. I had to eventually think and think well before I could get my answer and I was good to go. Same thing applies to gmail except if yahoo just changed the process which I doubt. Why not do the practicals and stop quoting links.

I told you something from my own personal experience, you didn't believe.
I went ahead to give you a direct link posted on yahoo's website to further buttress my point http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&page=content&id=SLN2694 but you said it's just theory.

I give up.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Adolak(m): 2:38pm On Aug 02, 2013
Hacked again!!! Wetin this guy do them sef.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by lifestyle1(m): 2:47pm On Aug 02, 2013
I think this is sql injection attack..

the site is still down.

Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by lifestyle1(m): 2:58pm On Aug 02, 2013

you deserve 20 years ban for this comment...
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by kunlesehan(m): 2:58pm On Aug 02, 2013
@slyrox; just between u & I. I smell a rat... or it could just be some sales gimmick though...lol
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Osyxcel(m): 3:16pm On Aug 02, 2013
How did the hackers get the PUK of his Airtel sim?

I think you nid that to perform a sim swap.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by femi4: 3:37pm On Aug 02, 2013
naturalwaves:
Seems its been long you use that process, if you have alternative mail activated or use a phone number, you ll bypass the question tag

Like the one I did to punish some1,
I gain access to the mail by answering the security question ( I know him so well to guess right), quickly change his security question.
I removed his phone number from the recovery option (he didn't use alt mail)
And finally, I change the password
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by omanifrank(m): 3:42pm On Aug 02, 2013
life_style: I think this is sql injection attack..

the site is still down.

it has really gone down again
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by profstar(m): 4:25pm On Aug 02, 2013
The site has been released now na, what happened
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by naturalwaves: 4:33pm On Aug 02, 2013
Slyr0x:

I told you something from my own personal experience, you didn't believe.
I went ahead to give you a direct link posted on yahoo's website to further buttress my point http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&page=content&id=SLN2694 but you said it's just theory.

I give up.

Your supposed personal experience was unfinished as U didn't say you eventually changed your password, that was why I didn't get it but I ain't lying either based on my own experience on two different occasions. Maybe Yahoo has changed the process.I would have loved to confirm with my mail and number again but I don't want to experiment now.lolz.

On a more serious note, doesn't it look stewpid that all you need to get access to someone's mail is the USERNAME and some minutes with the person's phone?
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by naturalwaves: 4:44pm On Aug 02, 2013
femi4: Seems its been long you use that process, if you have alternative mail activated or use a phone number, you ll bypass the question tag

I actually forgot the password to the alternate email addy which I opened in a hurry then so, there was no way through that. The only option I had aside the security question was the phone number option, I went through it and it started bringing me back to the security question again. Well, maybe things have changed now.

femi4: Like the one I did to punish some1,
I gain access to the mail by answering the security question ( I know him so well to guess right), quickly change his security question.
I removed his phone number from the recovery option (he didn't use alt mail)
And finally, I change the password

The above narration only validates my initial stand cos you used the security question to penetrate his mail account. If you had strictly used the phone number option, I would have been greatly convinced.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by mesmer: 4:44pm On Aug 02, 2013
[quote author=naturalwaves]This story looks like an Abracadabra and it is difficult to believe. Even if it is that easy getting a sim swapped on Airtel, when the supposed cracker wanted to contact Yahoo, did he just get a Password just like that from Yahoo? Impossible! Getting your password changed on Yahoo isn't that easy. Okay? And the Domain Name Registrer too gave out another Password on sighting just a note for a change of password? I haven't read something as hilarious and ridiculous as this claim in a long while even if you go to court with this crap, you will outrightly lose the case on the first day.
First of all, confirm the sim swap procedure and how the hacker did it from Airtel and then contact Yahoo and get to know how the verification for password changed such that yours was given out so cheaply on just a request then contact your DNR too to get the full details of how your password was changed in a little time before you come up with claims. I understand the fact that, your website was hacked but trying to make Airtel the scapegoat for the process without sufficient evidence is really hilarious. Take heart!
You think logically and GOD bless your wisdom. U said it all bro.

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Leyqute(m): 4:52pm On Aug 02, 2013
D site has been released. This story is plausible buh it sounds kinda like a bottle f zobo.....fabu o!!!
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by 1oracle(m): 5:50pm On Aug 02, 2013
Adolak: Hacked again!!! Wetin this guy do them sef.
Some people are naturally wicked.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by lifestyle1(m): 6:00pm On Aug 02, 2013
The site is back online!
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by midow4life: 6:04pm On Aug 02, 2013
Social Engineering is not just a Nigeria issure but a world wide problem, it usually makes use of human major vulnerability, TRUST! People just need the right enlightment and a vulnerability like that of the airtel sim swap needs to be patched the requirements for sim swap is just to easy and even yahoo need add a security question when such vital information like password are required and not just the mobile verification.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by YvonneDiamond(f): 6:32pm On Aug 02, 2013
shocked lipsrsealed........Na WA oooo!
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Adolak(m): 6:58pm On Aug 02, 2013
When all what the guy(naijaloaded) keeps doing is posting phone number and bank account number for some stupid ebooks and seminars. Now his website is terribly hacked and defaced. I'm pretty sure he's not in control yet.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Raymonbell(m): 9:10pm On Aug 02, 2013
The site is back jare
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by johnaruson(m): 9:16pm On Aug 02, 2013
I picked form to port to Airtel today from Mtn., with these dangerous flaw I have to wait.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by dripstoil: 10:36pm On Aug 02, 2013
naturalwaves:

Just calm yourself down, that'S the best way to learn, you can't be doing wrong thing and still claim to be doing it right. To reset password using phone is as simple as ABC - Just the code and nothing else! No further question after that. Once you receive the sms and enter it correctly, the deal is done. If you give me your phone for just five munites I can hack your email and anything associated with, or will you try?
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by akereconfi: 10:39pm On Aug 02, 2013
Slyr0x: In the space of one hour, the entire webmaster board was overloaded with several threads titled " got hacked". On checking one of the threads, I hurriedly fired up my browser, checked the Naijaloaded site and poof, I had a defaced webpage before me.

Next thing I did was to send Naijaloaded's owner a mail informing him of the hack which he then replied to this morning saying "They Swapped my SIM, Used the Forgot Password Features and Yahoo Sent the Guy my Code, he then Changed my Yahoo Password and Requested for a Password Changing Note from my Domain Registrar, Then he finally Changed my DNS".

At first, I didn't understand the swapping part. So I fired up my browser again and started crawling through webpages with the dork "Airtel Nigeria instant swap". After much crawling, I learnt that to swap your airtel sim (i.e. to hijack another person's airtel sim), all you need is

1. An airtel swap sim which goes for just N300 and offered for sale here
2. Four (4) most dial'd no
3. The serial number on the new airtel swap sim

. .and in 20mins max, d new Sim will be ready.

That easy yeah?!

After the "hacker" swapped Naijaloaded's owner SIM, he went on to use Yahoo's Forgot Password Features which yahoo then sent the hacker a code (to the swapped sim), he then Changed his Yahoo Password after which the hacker requested for a Password Changing Note from Domain Registrar and ended up changing 's DNS.

A brilliant social engineering attack it was!

This clearly exposes vital security flaws in several customer service systems.

All a malicious person need know to hijack your SIM is your 4 most dial'd nos (your dad, mom, girlfriend, line manager, direct subordinate, etc).

You know what this means? You can directly intercept that scheduled business call by hijacking that Big Oga's sim.

The guy that perpetrated this act not only digitally hacked the owner but they socially hacked him too as he could receive calls on his behalf.

It's quite upsetting that the ecosystem that we’ve placed so much of our trust in(In this case Airtel) has let some of us down so thoroughly.

Even the online Internet banking can be easily compromised. .call the customer care line, tell them you forgot your internet banking password, they will then ask 2/3 questions (1.) Your Date of Birth (2.)Your Account number (3.) Your Phone number and poof. .you have them reeling out all the infos you need (another story for another day)

Social Engineering, albeit a new one in the Nigerian space, is here to stay. .Folks Are You Ready?
If this trick gets into the wrong set of people................hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Be A Successful Web-developer / Instagram Sorry For Adding 'Terrorist' To Some Palestinian User Bios / Controvesial Queen: Adeola Diadem Best Buddy Kwinrach Partied In Bikini

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.