Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,968 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Open Letter To Nans President - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Open Letter To Nans President (683 Views)

NANS Calls For The Revocation Of "Dr." Buhari's Degree, Insists It's Fraudulent / ASUU To Nans/parents- "We Know Your Sponsors" / ASUU Vs FG Face-off: Just Before You Nail The NANS President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Open Letter To Nans President by Whyte002(m): 11:54pm On Aug 02, 2013
Dear Comrade,

This I know might be a surprise to you but I must let you know that am writing this with a heart full of hope and devoid of regret at the act of the thumb prints of those who brought you to power. Power I know is a great aphrodisiac, and those with a will would grasp and beaver away to get it. It galls me to lay pen on paper at this particular period. I’m in one of my most gloomy moment. Though my countenance seems bereft of emotions, I am devastated because at this 21st century most leaders of the National Association of Nigeria Students are not placing priorities right especially when it comes to the welfare of fellow Nigeria students.

I must firstly commensurate with you on the loss of Comrade Donald Onukaogu, our great Senate President who left this world to the world beyond when performing an official assignment. I pray that God would give all the Nigeria students community the fortitude to bear the loss. Indeed, it was a great loss and it is a lesson to us all. Service to humanity is the best work of life. I would go straight to the reason behind my letter as the death of the great Senate President is a pointer to what I want to discuss with you.

Mr. President, you would agree with me that the late Senate President died on his way to Uyo to rescue some Nigerian students that were reported to be involved in a crisis in their school. It was gathered authoritatively that the whole incident in that school got worsened when some members of the Nigerian Police opened fire on students. This was the situation that arouses the travelling of the late comrade before he died in an accident. I must also remind you that the same week of that incident was also the time a student of Kwara State Polytechnic was shot at the leg by a member of the Nigeria Police force in Ilorin.

Mr. President, I must let you know that more the sixteen Nigerian students from various tertiary educational institutions in the country have fallen in the past four months by the hands of trigger-happy policemen. If you could remember at the 29th day of May this year a student of University of Benin named Momodu Ibrahim, of the Faculty Laboratory Science was shot dead by the Divisional Police Officer, Carol Afegbua in charge of Ogida Police station. The only reason according to the Police authority for the act of their fellow colleague was hinged on self defense. The deceased was the only male child of his parents and was a 500level student at the time of his death. The only reasonable effort made by his colleague was to stage a protest challenging his death and demanding the prosecution of the police officer that shot the deceased. Permit me to also bring to your notice of the killing of the four Nassarawa State University students during a protest 4 months ago against lack of water in their hostel. Report had it that the death was as a result of the police trigger. I must let you know that there was no reasonable action taken to challenge their death.

Mr. President, you would agree with me that it has now become a major thing for Police officers to pounce on students anytime there is rancour. There has not been any major or national acclaim initiative of any form from your office to protest the above killings. Maybe at a point you addressed some journalist condemning some of the killings. It is a good one but it was not effective in anyway. If it has been effective, the disheartening news of the 30th of July, 2013 would not have been spread across the country. That day witnessed another killing of two Nigerian students in Lagos state. One of the students was identified to be Ifechukwude Nwainokpor, a 25-year-old undergraduate of Delta State University and infact a final year student of Geology and mining. The killing of the deceased has been attributed to Policemen attached to the Badagry Police Division, Lagos State and some hoodlums. Before their death, the Policemen were at some points in the video released interviewing the boys. A particular police officer asked who sent them (victims) to rob the area, an accusation they denied. The police I know are meant to be the protectors of life and not the taker of lives. The government though is meant to teach the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. The Police I must say at this time are already bringing anarchy upon Nigeria students. Enough is enough.

It may be well argued that some actions of the students are most times provocative during protest but the measure of control in return by the Police is usually traumatic. They take innocent souls with impunity and they are still red carpeted upon their crimes. The brutal killing of students that are the hope of the country is the beginning of the end of Nigeria. The rise and rise of the spate of police brutality in Nigeria, not only poses dire consequences for the stability of the Nigerian polity, but undermines the policing processes in Nigeria. The ones that are student related should be addressed effectively by your office. You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action. Action is the foundational key to all success.

Mr. President, It is time we see productive initiative to curb this menace that is fast becoming a norm in our society. We are tired of press statements that are not effective in any way. These killings should be investigated and the offenders should be prosecuted by your office in the court of law. It is time you uphold the integrity of your office. We want to see actions and not mouth talks. We are tired of reading stories of warring oppositions in NANS, we tired of seeing things that are not worthy of emulation by some NANS official. We are tired of been disgraced among our friends in the international community that our leaders are self centred individuals that are only in office to pursue their pockets and not serve the interest of the students. Excellence is not a destination; it is a continuous journey that never ends. The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavour. It would be worthwhile if you set a legacy concerning this issue. Let the Nigeria students believe whole heartedly in NANS again. If you do this, you would be accorded utmost respect by all during and after your tenure. I am asking you to act with immediate effect because the future will have no pity on those students who have the opportunity to challenge their oppressors but have taken solace to act as neutral observers.

Permit me to adopt the words of Anthony Robbins as a conclusion when he said, ‘I believe life is constantly testing us for our level of commitment, and life's greatest rewards are reserved for those who demonstrate a never-ending commitment to act until they achieve. This level of resolve can move mountains, but it must be constant and consistent. As simplistic as this may sound, it is still the common denominator separating those who live their dreams from those who live in regret’’. Life is too short to delay action and prevaricate and history will be severe on those who have the ability to take decisions that will benefit the present and the future of our people but who because of temporary political advantage refuse to do so. A word is enough for the wise. If it is to be, it is up to you. I leave you with a mind full of hope.

Yours Faithfully,
WHYTE HABEEB

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Nans President by Lakinsande: 10:56am On Aug 03, 2013
This is a very nice one. I pray the guy would do as you suggest. Nice one

(1) (Reply)

Fed Poly Idah Student Meet Here / ASUU May End Strike Next Week / Ambrose Alli University (AAU) Ekpoma 2nd Admission List Is Out For 2013/2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.