Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,471 members, 7,816,117 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime (2614 Views)

We Have Phone Database For All Gsm Users In Nigeria / Garabasa For All Gsm Users On Sms / Gsm Users Spend Over $68 Million Daily On Phone Calls In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by nenergy(m): 10:05am On Aug 03, 2013
The advent of a new technology usually comes with new set of problems, and the introduction of GSM in Nigeria is no different. Of all the problems peculiar to the GSM industry, none bothers and annoys subscribers like missing airtime. Nairaland for example is overwhelmed with threads where members complain of how GSM service providers are “stealing” their credits. So the purpose of this thread is to infortain you on how to prevent and handle missing airtime.
First, what is Missing airtime? Missing airtime is the vamoosal of your hard-earned, hard-borrowed or hard-begged credit from the account balance of your GSM line. Missing airtime which can be caused by so many factors is not exclusive to the telecoms sectors, as the banking sector also experiences this malaise.

Causes and prevention:
Missing airtime is cause by, but not exclusive to;
Computer glitch:
Computers and software handle billing of GSM services and computers are not infallible, so a little glitch can cause ‘some’ subscribers airtime to be erroneously deducted. In this case the company is mandated to refund the missing airtime as stipulated by industry refund/compensation policy.

Not knowing the additional services attached to certain packages:
Your friend enjoys a particular benefit from using a particular service. Without knowing the details of additional services attached to packages you opted into the service. I’m sorry you will be paying for services your know nothing of.
Please always call your Network customer service and make proper enquiries before making any changes to your line.

Not knowing the terms and conditions of Value added Services:
So you got a text that read; “Congratulations! You have won 7-days free access to Big Brother Africa updates. Text BBA to 419 to claim it”. ‘Gifts’ such as these usually comes with terms and conditions. So before you reply that text, call your Network customer service and make proper enquiries.

Not ‘pre-testing’ bonuses before using it:
All GSM companies give bonuses. These bonuses are incentives to keep customers on the network. Yes you were given a bonus, but it is important that your test-run the bonus before deciding to use it. “One does not test the depth of a river with 2 feet”. I was given bonus sms some months ago. Impulsively i wanted to compose and send a happy new month message to a group of 50 friends, but wisdom told me to send one first. I did and was charged. Imagine if i had sent it all at once…gbege!

Not Activating Keypad lock: . Value Added Services activation Ads are usually are sent via SMS. But now, they are also sent via flash message (for multimedia phones). A flash message comes on your phone screen advertising a service. There will be 2 options; “OK” and “CANCEL”. Press OK and your airtime is gone. A Keypad lock gives you some seconds to decide which option to choose.

Crossing your data allowance:
You have 1GB data and have been downloading mobile movies all weekend. For some reason you weren’t monitoring your usage and walla, your airtime vamooses, none is to blame but you. Blackberry subscriptions are no longer unlimited, yet you were counting on luck and couldn’t help but download the last episode of that addictive series. You crossed you data allowance and your airtime disappeared…OYO!

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR598Ws2HGe404OSWco-s-gBxH5xyRiT02uayJv95pcKt0Cv7q1oS99lN1t[/img]
Handling missing airtime:

What do you do when you wake up to find your airtime missing?
Call your Network customer service:

Please call-in to report the matter. Register your displeasure, but be civil about it, because the person you are speaking with didn’t “take” the money. He/she is there to help investigate and resolve the issue . Plus, the way you go about it will inspire the agent to go the extra-mile for you. For example, during the fuel subsidy protest (which i participated in) i lost my phone and did a ‘welcome back’ which didn’t work for many days. I was job hunting then and that was the number on my CV. I called the network customer service and spoke to a lady. I registered my displeasure with civility, she thanked me for my patience and understanding and went the extra-mile to resolve the issue while giving me daily updates until it was done.

Send an email:

Just like how banks give you 5-7 working days before refunding your undispensed ATM debits, GSM companies also need time for certain details to be available before issues can be resolved. That is why it appears as if “they” are not doing anything about your issue. When this is the case, please send an email. An email is more official and will be accorded such attention. In 2008, i was charged for a service that wasn’t rendered. I call my network customer service and nothing was done for days. So i sent an email and in 2-days my airtime was refunded.

I hope with this few points of mine, i have been able to educate you on how to prevent and handle missing airtime. Thank you!

6 Likes

Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by OnoEdosio(m): 5:21am On Aug 10, 2013
Why isn't this on the frontpage?

1 Like

Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by nenergy(m): 10:19am On Aug 10, 2013
OnoEdosio: Why isn't this on the frontpage?
I feel the post is slowly serving its purpose....anyways, it will be nice to get front page sha grin
Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by agitator: 10:35am On Aug 10, 2013
Point 3 is so annoying, "is your number 0803XXXXXXXXX you are lucky, You just won 1-week of free inspirational quotes, text 'yes' to 5555, there after N100/week"
and so many similar annoying sms messages from all operators. NCC should do something about this which is daylight fraud, as some ignorant people just subscribe unknowingly. It is very difficult to stop as there is no option of opting out. angry angry angry

They can't catch me with any of such tricks. I delete such messages instantly. Thank God for Android phone, I installed a call and message blocker. Unfortunately, some are still getting through using customized SMS names in place of numbers. angry angry angry
Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by nenergy(m): 7:17pm On Aug 10, 2013
agitator:
Thank God for Android phone, I installed a call and message blocker. Unfortunately, some are still getting through using customized SMS names in place of numbers. angry angry angry
call and message blocker? Cool, but that means you have to programme all possible short-code into the app. Problems is they're too much. angry Pls what's this app called?
Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by specialguest(f): 6:41pm On Aug 11, 2013
Very enlightening post nenergy. Thankx for informing us. I am guilty of always migrating from one plan to another without confirming the pro"s and con"s from customer service first and and such i am usually stuck with annoying "hidden charges". Anyway it's very eazy now, any network that deducts or "vamooses" my money illegally would only end up loosing a customer because na porting mode I dey.

1 Like

Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by nenergy(m): 8:54pm On Aug 11, 2013
Kirikata kirikata Kirikata kirikata carry your own number go AT&T.lol
Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by Emmyk(m): 2:48am On Aug 12, 2013
Nice thread. I have always being careful. I dont just jump into any awof stuff from these networks, because easily you'll sign up,...hard will it be to ball out.. I'm always like OLE!! When I receive texts like "you have been selected to blah blah blah". cheesy

1 Like

Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by nenergy(m): 5:33am On Aug 12, 2013
Emmyk: Nice thread. I have always being careful. I dont just jump into any awof stuff from these networks, because easily you'll sign up,...hard will it be to ball out.. I'm always like OLE!! When I receive texts like "you have been selected to blah blah blah". cheesy
hahahahaha. Nice one cheesy
Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by Youngpo413: 5:53am On Aug 12, 2013
Thanks for enlightening me.

1 Like

Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by Anuoluwap(m): 9:20pm On Aug 16, 2013
OnoEdosio: Why isn't this on the frontpage?
bros ask google oh!
Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by Ebidave001(m): 12:25am On Aug 17, 2013
nenergy: The advent of a new technology usually comes with new set of problems, and the introduction of GSM in Nigeria is no different. Of all the problems peculiar to the GSM industry, none bothers and annoys subscribers like missing airtime. Nairaland for example is overwhelmed with threads where members complain of how GSM service providers are “stealing” their credits. So the purpose of this thread is to infortain you on how to prevent and handle missing airtime.
First, what is Missing airtime? Missing airtime is the vamoosal of your hard-earned, hard-borrowed or hard-begged credit from the account balance of your GSM line. Missing airtime which can be caused by so many factors is not exclusive to the telecoms sectors, as the banking sector also experiences this malaise.

Causes and prevention:
Missing airtime is cause by, but not exclusive to;
Computer glitch:
Computers and software handle billing of GSM services and computers are not infallible, so a little glitch can cause ‘some’ subscribers airtime to be erroneously deducted. In this case the company is mandated to refund the missing airtime as stipulated by industry refund/compensation policy.

Not knowing the additional services attached to certain packages:
Your friend enjoys a particular benefit from using a particular service. Without knowing the details of additional services attached to packages you opted into the service. I’m sorry you will be paying for services your know nothing of.
Please always call your Network customer service and make proper enquiries before making any changes to your line.

Not knowing the terms and conditions of Value added Services:
So you got a text that read; “Congratulations! You have won 7-days free access to Big Brother Africa updates. Text BBA to 419 to claim it”. ‘Gifts’ such as these usually comes with terms and conditions. So before you reply that text, call your Network customer service and make proper enquiries.

Not ‘pre-testing’ bonuses before using it:
All GSM companies give bonuses. These bonuses are incentives to keep customers on the network. Yes you were given a bonus, but it is important that your test-run the bonus before deciding to use it. “One does not test the depth of a river with 2 feet”. I was given bonus sms some months ago. Impulsively i wanted to compose and send a happy new month message to a group of 50 friends, but wisdom told me to send one first. I did and was charged. Imagine if i had sent it all at once…gbege!

Crossing your data allowance:
You have 1GB data and have been downloading mobile movies all weekend. For some reason you weren’t monitoring your usage and walla, your airtime vamooses, none is to blame but you. Blackberry subscriptions are no longer unlimited, yet you were counting on luck and couldn’t help but download the last episode of that addictive series. You crossed you data allowance and your airtime disappeared…OYO!

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR598Ws2HGe404OSWco-s-gBxH5xyRiT02uayJv95pcKt0Cv7q1oS99lN1t[/img]
Handling missing airtime:

What do you do when you wake up to find your airtime missing?
Call your Network customer service:

Please call-in to report the matter. Register your displeasure, but be civil about it, because the person you are speaking with didn’t “take” the money. He/she is there to help investigate and resolve the issue . Plus, the way you go about it will inspire the agent to go the extra-mile for you. For example, during the fuel subsidy protest (which i participated in) i lost my phone and did a ‘welcome back’ which didn’t work for many days. I was job hunting then and that was the number on my CV. I called the network customer service and spoke to a lady. I registered my displeasure with civility, she thanked me for my patience and understanding and went the extra-mile to resolve the issue while giving me daily updates until it was done.

Send an email:

Just like how banks give you 5-7 working days before refunding your undispensed ATM debits, GSM companies also need time for certain details to be available before issues can be resolved. That is why it appears as if “they” are not doing anything about your issue. When this is the case, please send an email. An email is more official and will be accorded such attention. In 2008, i was charged for a service that wasn’t rendered. I call my network customer service and nothing was done for days. So i sent an email and in 2-days my airtime was refunded.

I hope with this few points of mine, i have been able to educate you on how to prevent and handle missing airtime. Thank you!

well said bro.
Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by LeJeun3: 7:26pm On Aug 17, 2013
. nenergy....... God bless U. Contact for my personal number to assist you with customer care tinz....... Some call and are like: You conspired to take my money...!

1 Like

Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by W3xy1(m): 7:50pm On Aug 17, 2013
cool

Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by nenergy(m): 9:23pm On Aug 17, 2013
LeJeun3: . nenergy....... God bless U. Contact for my personal number to assist you with customer care tinz....... Some call and are like: You conspired to take my money...!
hahahahahahahaha..ok, will do grin
Re: Tip For Gsm Users: How To Prevent And Handle Missing Airtime by nenergy(m): 9:24pm On Aug 17, 2013
W3xy1: cool
You get the gist.lol grin

(1) (Reply)

MTN New Data Awoof For Weekends / How To Get Airtel 100GB With #300 / How To Activate The Mtn 4G LTE And Also Know If Your Smartphone Is Compatible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.