Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,787 members, 7,956,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:14 PM

What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? (4800 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / How To Know The Engine Size Of VW Golf 3 From The VIN Or Engine Number (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by enquirydon: 4:33pm On Aug 03, 2013
v6,v4 etc
state it perfectly
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by uboma(m): 4:43pm On Aug 03, 2013
For mine, the fan comes up first. Mine is 4plugs.
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by enquirydon: 4:53pm On Aug 03, 2013
@uboma

does yur fan work all throughout when drive or switch off something?
double cell radiator or single cell

more detail
sir
thanks
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 4:55pm On Aug 03, 2013
Engine first, no matter the number of cylinders (including viscous fan coupling, except the mechanical locked fan like PAN XN1 engine in 504 & 505).

Electric and Viscous fan would spin 30 minutes later or so depending on the coolant temperature or with A/C on.

Ikenna

2 Likes

Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by enquirydon: 5:04pm On Aug 03, 2013
@ Ikenna351

any effect ,if fan come first or last

more detail
below question

thanks
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by uboma(m): 5:55pm On Aug 03, 2013
enquirydon: @uboma

more detail
sir
thanks

As I turn on the ignition, the fan comes up. But as I try to start the car, the fan stops and engine starts after which the fan continues rolling. I will have to take note when next I'm driving to tell whether the fan works all through or not. I have a single cell radiator.
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by enquirydon: 8:16pm On Aug 03, 2013
@uboma

great expression
u are welcome
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by austin4real(m): 9:14am On Aug 05, 2013
Engine comes up first in mine, den when the engine gets hot,prolly spanning a period of 5/10 mins, the fan would den come on, work for like 1 min, den go off again...(Dis would repeat itself constantly) I guess dis is as a result of the vehicle thermostat, if ur thermostat has been removed, ur fan would rotate constantly...
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by enquirydon: 8:54pm On Aug 05, 2013
@austin4real
my Friend car (Toyota Camry) thermostat has been removed but engine come first and later on the fan start up within 10minutes
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 1:09pm On Aug 07, 2013
enquirydon: @ Ikenna351

any effect ,if fan come first or last

A lot.

1. If your radiator fan comes on first before engine starts or while starting the car at very cold outside temp expecially in the morning, the fans will place heavy load on the Alternator motor. That will make the Alternator motor to drag the Alternator pulley. Because the Alternator pulley is driven by Crankshaft pulley via Auxiallialy belt, the Alternator pulley will cause drag to the belt and the crankshaft will have to work a little bit harder to drive the dragging Alternator pulley, so that it doesnt stall. This will cause severe friction on the crankshaft journals or other lubricating parts in the engine, since the oil is cold and not warm enough to lubricate those parts well. Over labouring the engine when its cold will cause severe friction inside the engine, which with time will become prononced. Thats why cars with climate control system dont switch on the A/C compressor while cranking the engine, even though the A/C button is on. The compressor will start spinning few seconds after the engine has started running, depending on the outside temp. Those electric fans carries so much load. If you want to comfirm what am saying, if your fans are connected to spin constantly, disconnect them at night, start the car, switch on the headlight, go inside the car, have someone connect the fans back, as soon as they start spinning (especially at the speed 2 for Peugeots/highest speed for other brands), you will see the headlights and instrument cluster lights dim and would go brighter when you disconnect them, even with the engine running. Just like what your starter does to the battery while cranking the engine.

2. Another effect is the over cooling of your engine at cold temperature. When you start your car in the morning and wheather is very cold, the fans need to stay off for the engine to warm up faster, so that the engine oil will warmp up faster too and start its lubricating job properly. But with the fans on, the fans will be pushing or sucking the cold air from the radiator and spreading on already cold engine, making it difficult for the cold engine to warm up. Its like pouring very cold water on Ice. Thats why it takes ages for temp gauge of cars with constant spinning fans to rise to the middle of the gauge (normal operating temp for the engine), which make the engine suffer before the gauge finally indicates normal temp.

3. Antother effect is the fan lifespan is shotten. The radiator fan motor is not designed to spin constantly and on high speed or speed 2. Doing that makes them die sooner than expected. Even their bearings too. For example, yoir A/C blower. If you are laways leaving it at speed 4 or full speed, then the blower bearing or motor will give up soon. So doing such connection will make your fans die over and over, no matter how many times you replace them.

Etc.

Ikenna

3 Likes

Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by uboma(m): 9:29pm On Aug 07, 2013
@ Ikenna351, your post is very informative.
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 07, 2013
It's the engine even on a V8 auto. The fan only comes on later.
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by enquirydon: 4:19pm On Aug 09, 2013
great
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by wwwkaycom(m): 11:52am On Aug 16, 2013
This has given me thought. Now I know its normal for car engine to start first and the fan later, buy Mr Ikenna and others, how do I know that the thermostat of my car has been removed? thank you all, cheers!
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by enquirydon: 8:50pm On Aug 17, 2013
more idea
Re: What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? by ndidibabe(f): 12:58pm On Aug 27, 2020
Ikenna351:
Engine first, no matter the number of cylinders (including viscous fan coupling, except the mechanical locked fan like PAN XN1 engine in 504 & 505).

Electric and Viscous fan would spin 30 minutes later or so depending on the coolant temperature or with A/C on.

Ikenna
Hello Sir. I am curious about the integrity of my Lexus' radiator fan. When I start it early in the morning at idle and put on the AC, the radiator fan does not spin and sometimes I even wait till the temperature guage go beyond half guage but the radiator fan won't come on. It is until I drive the car, that the fan start working. Should this be?

(1) (Reply)

Cars I Saw On The Road Today / How Much Is Camry Engine And Gear Box 1999 Or 2000 / Lets Discuss Shipment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.