Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,444 members, 7,826,704 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Panic In Abuja As Army And Police Prevent Church Burning By Mob - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Panic In Abuja As Army And Police Prevent Church Burning By Mob (1098 Views)

Ghost Caught on Camera in kano Burning? [ see photo] / Photos: Riot In Lekki Lagos Between Okada Riders, Thugs And Police / Panic In Ado-ekiti Over Rampaging Monkey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Panic In Abuja As Army And Police Prevent Church Burning By Mob by confusion247(m): 4:55pm On Aug 04, 2013
A joint effort by the Nigerian army and police earlier today prevented the attempted burning of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Nyanya area of the federal capital territory in Abuja .

Sources at the church told SaharaReporters that trouble started when a Hausa-speaking Muslim man in the area was prevented from parking his car too close to the church building. The measure was put in place as a way of preventing Islamist militants from attacking Christian places of worship on Sundays.

The man, however, resisted the police and soldiers guarding the church. An argument ensued leading to his arrest and humiliation by the security agents who told him to "frog-jump" in front of the church.

After his release by the police, the man reportedly went into the community to mobilize some people to attack the church and burn it down.

Panicked church members left the church leaving their cars behind.

However, a swift intervention by police and soldiers prevented the man and his mob from burning the church. The security agents then started shooting in the area leading more residents to flee the immediate vicinity of the crisis.

UPDATE: Saharareporters has received further information that the man arrested and tortured by the soldiers died after he was tortured. The events following this was a protest by commercial bike riders in the area to protest his death at the hand of the soldiers guarding the church. There is still no official confirmation at to what really transpired in Nyanya. All church members have been released from the church to go home as shooting the area has died down.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/panic-abuja-army-and-police-prevent-church-burning-mob.
Re: Panic In Abuja As Army And Police Prevent Church Burning By Mob by Dreal1247: 5:00pm On Aug 04, 2013
A fly without counsellor follows the corpse into the grave. Why must he ignore the directives of the security personnels knowing fully well with the security situation in the country?

1 Like

Re: Panic In Abuja As Army And Police Prevent Church Burning By Mob by HezronLorraine(m): 5:09pm On Aug 04, 2013
The over-empowered security measures taken by some churches is gargantuan one's to blame but those heartless animals who carry out random attacks.this is how religious riots sparks.a mob action cause u flouted a church rule which won't last beyond a sunday.u deem it fit to become an asornist.
Re: Panic In Abuja As Army And Police Prevent Church Burning By Mob by Enegod(m): 5:12pm On Aug 04, 2013
that man must be a bokoharam member

2 Likes

Re: Panic In Abuja As Army And Police Prevent Church Burning By Mob by kevoh(m): 5:46pm On Aug 04, 2013
Abeg no one died ooo to the best of my knowledge! I went visiting my folks and attended mass(service)there, slipped out of church when I sensed trouble brewing as a sharp Edo guy before it became serious.Anyway, thanks to the effort of the soldiers and police who dispersed those fools.
I think the main cause of the protest was the okada man saying the punishment meted to him by the soldiers made him spoil his fast and not someone's death.
The soldiers didn't torture anyone,please. Infact, It was their calmness while waiting for reinforcements that gave those fools the effontery to be displaying on bikes,smashing the glasses of any car that want to pass and started a bonfire using tire and petrol. On arrival of the reinforcement the fools took their heels and went into hiding.
I stand to be corrected sha.
Re: Panic In Abuja As Army And Police Prevent Church Burning By Mob by Sanboy25: 6:18pm On Aug 04, 2013
I guess that God protected their church through the policemen...
Re: Panic In Abuja As Army And Police Prevent Church Burning By Mob by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 04, 2013
Ndi ewu Abuja again Wetin person go do all these one way rams sef
Re: Panic In Abuja As Army And Police Prevent Church Burning By Mob by naijaboiy: 8:57am On Aug 05, 2013
I wonder how somone hu was totured to death stil went to mobilize his ppl....some reporters sha!!!
Re: Panic In Abuja As Army And Police Prevent Church Burning By Mob by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 05, 2013
naijaboiy: I wonder how somone hu was totured to death stil went to mobilize his ppl....some reporters sha!!!

lol.

(1) (Reply)

. / Which Song Would You Play On Your Wedding / What Will You Do If You See Your Baby Doing This(pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.