Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,600 members, 7,820,148 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio (5134 Views)

4 Groups In Nigeria I Wish Were Still Making Music Together. / Your Thoughts On Our Radio Stations, Programs And Their OAPs. / Tongue-lashing On Radio Talk Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by tlo(f): 8:19pm On Aug 04, 2013
Iyke the G (Cool FM) Although he wasn't your typical Cool FM fone speaking presenter, but he was really nice, always, always took your music requests and the music he chose for his Sunday evening show was just simply 'heavenly' a mix of soft rock and pop (Ego of Inspiration FM reminds me of him - her choice of music is on point, she plays music we all forgot about). I did everything to make sure I didn't miss his show. Then he always played signature songs at the start and end of his shows so each time I hear those songs I remember him.

Dare Art-Alade (Cool FM) - Dare was really cool, had interesting topics/opinions and angles on topics and a voice to die for.

Lakeside (Cool FM) - he was really funny and did great voice impressions.

Paula (Rythm FM) - Before Dan Foster captured Gospel Music audiences on Sunday mornings there was Paula, she played the coolest, hippest Christian music. She also had a relationship show and her accent was very unique.

Tope Brown (Rythm FM) - I'm not sure but I think I heard he passed. He had a relationship show on weekday evenings, I think he was also called Brown Sugar. I remember in boarding school we would tune in with a rechargeable lamp/radio intended for studying after lights out. I think his appeal was that he was giving women relationship advise from a man's perspective, it was a late show but we never missed it. I remember moving to campus (2 years later) and when walking down the corridors of Newest Hall (in Unilag) the hall would almost echo, because all radios were tuned to his show.

2 Likes

Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by jaymichael(m): 9:46pm On Aug 04, 2013
Oh how GOD! you just made me remember IYKE D GEE, my best radio OAP. I Remember him starting off his shows SUNDAY NIGHT REQUEST AND ALL NIGHT CAFE with Mark Schultz's HE IS MY SON and signing off with this song WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN. I also miss EBELE of cool fm. With her silky smooth voice. crazy LAKESYDE, I Remember this American Lady CHRISTINE and also Mark SYLVA aka MARK007 but I miss IYKE D GEE most. Anybody know where he is? who remembers DARE's ASK THE ANSWER MAN? I thank GOD DAN FOSTER is still in the Mix A very mature OAP. Gone are the good old days of Radio. All this small small pickin OAP no sabi their work @ all. Gush! I still miss IYKE D GEE.
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by tlo(f): 3:31pm On Aug 05, 2013
Yessss was racking my brain trying to remember Ebele's name. I thought it was just me who missed Iyke. Last I heard he's was with Cool FM PH.

Gone are those days jo, today's OAPS try but they haven't met up.
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by jaymichael(m): 10:04pm On Aug 05, 2013
tlo: Yessss was racking my brain trying to remember Ebele's name. I thought it was just me who missed Iyke. Last I heard he's was with Cool FM PH.

Gone are those days jo, today's OAPS try but they haven't met up.
I went searching for IYKE D GEE on the internet and the information i got was that he is with MAGIC FM Aba, i have one internet radio android app i downloaded, i will search for that MAGIC FM to confirm.
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by Nobody: 1:45am On Aug 07, 2013
jaymichael: I went searching for IYKE D GEE on the internet and the information i got was that he is with MAGIC FM Aba, i have one internet radio android app i downloaded, i will search for that MAGIC FM to confirm.

he is in aba

he is old now
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by Nobody: 3:14am On Aug 07, 2013
My goodness. I clicked on the topic to scream PAULA AND TOPE BROWNNNNN.. . . I am pleasantly surprised that the OP stole my thunder. For me, these two ruled the airwaves in the early 2000s. . . .a glorious era for radio in Lagos.

Apart from Paula's Sunday gospel shows, she was also the OAP for the Morning/Afternoon Drive every weekday (I think 10am -2pm or so). she was incredible. Paula Kanu, she's the dsughter of Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu, former military governor of Imo State. She was extremely charming, witty, knowledgeable, and had a voice that evoked total richness of spirit! I loved her like no other, for she was infinitely lovable.

As for Tope Brown. . . .where do I even start? That brother made me fall in love with love, those were the days when I had plenty love to give and receive. Brown Sugar was a central influence in all of that. Velvet-voiced, sea-breeze cool, calm, reassuring, empathetic, super witty, and all kinds of fabulous! Tope Brown was all that and much more. I also kept many late nights listening to his shows. . . .with his amazing selection of slow jams and whatnot. Tope Brown is a fucking LEGEND as far as the OAP business goes. I stopped listening to radio shortly after he and Paula left Rhythm (and Olisa and Ebele left Cool fm). You better be kidding about his passing. I didn't hear about that.
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by jaymichael(m): 8:50am On Aug 07, 2013
ya, you remind me of Paula, i was tying to remember her name. those where the good days of radio.. Am listening to IYKE D GEE right now on magic FM. with TuneIn Radio app, downloaded from PLAY STORE. Olisa Adibua is with the beat FM Lagos. A very very fast talker. i Remember Park and Shop best 20.
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by samukiwo(m): 8:42am On Dec 09, 2013
Just excited listening to Iyke d G's voice on Magic FM 102.9 Aba. I missed him after he left Cool 95.9 FM PH. Iyke d G is in the building, Good morning

1 Like

Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by krunchgrizzly: 1:22am On Aug 21, 2015
PLEASE WHO KNOWS WHERE LAKESIDE IS?
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by krunchgrizzly: 1:24am On Aug 21, 2015
WHAT TIME DOES HE COME ON AIR?

samukiwo:
Just excited listening to Iyke d G's voice on Magic FM 102.9 Aba. I missed him after he left Cool 95.9 FM PH. Iyke d G is in the building, Good morning
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by samukiwo(m): 7:53pm On Aug 25, 2015
krunchgrizzly:
WHAT TIME DOES HE COME ON AIR?

He comes on air in d morning, say BTW 7 - 9am. Not sure if it's daily.
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by fairheven: 11:44am On Aug 26, 2015
tlo:
Iyke the G (Cool FM) Although he wasn't your typical Cool FM fone speaking presenter, but he was really nice, always, always took your music requests and the music he chose for his Sunday evening show was just simply 'heavenly' a mix of soft rock and pop (Ego of Inspiration FM reminds me of him - her choice of music is on point, she plays music we all forgot about). I did everything to make sure I didn't miss his show. Then he always played signature songs at the start and end of his shows so each time I hear those songs I remember him.

Dare Art-Alade (Cool FM) - Dare was really cool, had interesting topics/opinions and angles on topics and a voice to die for.

Lakeside (Cool FM) - he was really funny and did great voice impressions.

Paula (Rythm FM) - Before Dan Foster captured Gospel Music audiences on Sunday mornings there was Paula, she played the coolest, hippest Christian music. She also had a relationship show and her accent was very uni

Tope Brown (Rythm FM) - I'm not sure but I think I heard he passed. He had a relationship show on weekday evenings, I think he was also called Brown Sugar. I remember in boarding school we would tune in with a rechargeable lamp/radio intended for studying after lights out. I think his appeal was that he was giving women relationship advise from a man's perspective, it was a late show but we never missed it. I remember moving to campus (2 years later) and when walking down the corridors of Newest Hall (in Unilag) the hall would almost echo, because all radios were tuned to his show.

babe i dey trip for you,just for mentioning PAULA KALU of rythmFM. heard she is the daugther of Real admiral Ndubisi Kalu. what i liked most about her gospel show was the Theme song

then you also had NONA from same rythm
there was this URE UKOHA KALU ,she was an independent producer with RAYPOWER,I think she presented straight from the heart
TOLU of cool fm
VALARIE of cooolFM
MOMOH KUBANJI of radio continenatal

BTW, its true TOPE BROWN IS GONE

what we have these days are half baked presenters that are more concerned about chasing fame
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by AirstarKane(f): 8:35pm On Aug 26, 2015
Kamal Salau on 97.6 fm he's now into oap academy missed his voice.
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by jaymichael(m): 12:11am On Oct 18, 2017
This thread almost brought tears to my eyes. I thank God I witnessed this era. I wonder what killed radio in Nigeria.
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by Meego: 7:51pm On May 23, 2019
Just reading this post made my eyes water because memories of when Radio was so good just flooded my head..!! Because of iyke the Gee, Nona, Lakeside, Tope Brown (Funky fried fresh, sleeky sleek smooth), Paula, Valerie, Kemi, Ebele; Best OAP ever to be on Radio!! I didnt watch Tv for more than 5 years because I just couldn't get enough of them.!!

I remember switching from one radio station to another like clockwork just to tune in to their individual shows..!

I carried a transistor Radio with me everywhere to the point, it was nicknamed my girlfriend..!! Lol..!!!

Since these crop of guys left radio, I signed out completely...

If I could turn back the hands of time, l would bring them all back with their respective shows, but sadly, I can't..

Moreso, I used to think I was the only one so addicted to Radio at the time but these posts have made me realize, the opposite was true..

As far as I'm concerned, quality Radio is dead n gone..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by jaymichael(m): 7:26pm On Sep 21, 2020
I still listen to classic fm small small when I have the time. Lawrence the man of the the night, Benjy "hello benjy" and Ifeanyi Atama are the Legends right now, these guys are good. Lawrence has his signature song he uses in opening his night show, Sinach's Throne Room.
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by stancydg: 7:23pm On Jul 15, 2021
Yesterday, one of Iyke Dee Gee's unique songs, Deff Leopard's "Long, long way to go" snuck into my head. Today, I remember again and begin searching for the song online. I find the video and memories gush back like a fast flowing river. I type Iyke Dee Gee in Google and I find this thread from 2013, eight years later, of lovers of radio like me, from way back, when radio was radio. Unilag architecture department reverberated with their voices. Voices that not only inspired but were actually radio worthy, not today's folks that can't read common script announcements without blunders.

Payed for a script ad on a radio show in Akure today and the OAP totally messed so many pronounciations up, even after taking it twice.

I miss those good, old folks in Iyke Dee Gee, Dan Foster, Kemi Adesoye, Ebele, Michelle(Ashionye) of CoolFM's Midday Oasis Paula Kanu, Sola Thompson and all others mentioned here. Clear cut accents you can't resist and radio dexterity you would almost think they were singing along with the songs they played.

PS: If you know where Iyke is, please reply. I need to let him know he is one of my radio mentors.
Re: Radio OAPS That You Wish Were Still On Radio by jaymichael(m): 1:46am On Feb 09, 2022
stancydg:
Yesterday, one of Iyke Dee Gee's unique songs, Deff Leopard's "Long, long way to go" snuck into my head. Today, I remember again and begin searching for the song online. I find the video and memories gush back like a fast flowing river. I type Iyke Dee Gee in Google and I find this thread from 2013, eight years later, of lovers of radio like me, from way back, when radio was radio. Unilag architecture department reverberated with their voices. Voices that not only inspired but were actually radio worthy, not today's folks that can't read common script announcements without blunders.

Payed for a script ad on a radio show in Akure today and the OAP totally messed so many pronounciations up, even after taking it twice.

I miss those good, old folks in Iyke Dee Gee, Dan Foster, Kemi Adesoye, Ebele, Michelle(Ashionye) of CoolFM's Midday Oasis Paula Kanu, Sola Thompson and all others mentioned here. Clear cut accents you can't resist and radio dexterity you would almost think they were singing along with the songs they played.

PS: If you know where Iyke is, please reply. I need to let him know he is one of my radio mentors.
So Ashionye was the voice behind that michelle. I thought she was an American. Iyke dee gee is at Magic fm Aba. I dont know if he owns the station. As at last year, he still hosts the morning show from 6-9AM. I always remember he often says 'bless your heart' to his callers before he ends their calls.

(1) (Reply)

Badman Binladin Music Is All Around Now / Chuddy K Versus Wande Coal / Download Mp3: Timaya – Dance Ft. Rudeboy (p-square)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.