Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,704 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

18 Yr-Old Nigerian Launches Website To Disrupt Africa's Job Recruitment Industry - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 18 Yr-Old Nigerian Launches Website To Disrupt Africa's Job Recruitment Industry (1897 Views)

24 Year Old Nigerian Builds A Functional And Intelligent Robot In Sri Lanka / Convert Existing Website To Phone App? / Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

18 Yr-Old Nigerian Launches Website To Disrupt Africa's Job Recruitment Industry by Rudolfbane: 3:57am On Aug 05, 2013
Culled from Techmoran:

Howard Izundu, an 18 year-old developer has launched Yolpe.com, an online recruitment platform for members only, that he say will change the way firms hire in Nigeria and Africa.

Izundu told TechMoran, “Some times last year, we started development on a platform that we hoped would transform the future of the job industry and the lives of so many people. We created after months of work what I feel would impact the lives of lots of people.”

Izundu added, “Our service makes finding an employee dead easy and simple for employers/recruiting managers. When utilized, it effectively eliminates job ads, applicant tracking systems, company recruitment portals and the system of applying for jobs by emailingresumes (all which are normally the biggest banes to Hiring), thereby speeding up the employment process. Probably, if you have ever worked as a hiring
manager you would immediately see the glaring need/use of this service.”

He says, traditionally, the recruitment process takes from 3 weeks to more than 2 months before completion but with Yolpe, it can effectively be done in at most 2 weeks depending on volume, finding and sourcing already taken care of, by them.

Yolpe is a medium people where job seekers sign up to connect to firm with job openings or get referrals based on their qualifications, relevance, specialization, company fit and talents. Users get access to job openings anytime, anywhere. He says that because most jobs are not advertised traditionally and most employed job seekers do not apply for jobs, Yolpe will help employers recruit the best talent in the market.

“I became interested in recruitment when my dad lost his job. For the past one year, I have had a roller-coaster ride testing out different platforms e.g. an internet job marketing site ( hirepuss.com), social networks for employees to discuss, service for employees to complain about their jobs and warn off prospective companies e.t.c,” said Izundu.

“Then at my internet job marketing site I discovered something. Asincredible as this may sound, Job seekers were hardly applying at recruitment portals of small companies nor sent quality resumes. This showed that job seekers were hardly interested in small S.M.Es who were my major clients. In contrast, bigger organizations usually had a surplus on every single job opening which they hate and an interesting number are
usually under-qualified. So there is a surplus on one side and a deficit on the other,” he added.

“Another issue is that you would publish a job opening on The Guardian or on job boards without knowing if you would even get a response or if your application qualified. That’s why if you look closely, you would see companies doing re-runs of their ads especially on
newspaper.”

He then said he discovered that firms did not usually have multiple positions open at once so they usually hire one or two persons to fill the vacancy immediately and mostly through referrals. That’s why he thought Yolpe can help connect users to jobs just as friends do at the work place.
Yolpe.com aspires to solve this problem with a simple solution. Connect job seekers with employers, remove all the middlemen and create pent up demands on both ends and sell it to both sides of the table. Easily.

“At its core, it’s kind of like a dating site (marketplace) for employers and those looking for work, having a noble mission: “To make Job seekers’ information easily accessible Online, enabling employers find them faster, speeding up the Employment process”.

The difference with LinkedIn.com is that LinkedIn is for professional networking but Nigerians need jobs fast not networking,” he said.

He says he is ready to take on his competitors who include TheLadders.com, Bizreach.com, RegionUP.com and all Job-boards in Nigeria and LinkedIn in general.

Source: http://techmoran.com/ceo-weekends-18-year-old-nigerian-youth-launches-yolpe-com-to-disrupt-africas-job-rectruitment-industry/
Re: 18 Yr-Old Nigerian Launches Website To Disrupt Africa's Job Recruitment Industry by nenergy(m): 5:25am On Aug 05, 2013
Signing up. Test-run mode activated.
Re: 18 Yr-Old Nigerian Launches Website To Disrupt Africa's Job Recruitment Industry by Ajibel(m): 5:44am On Aug 05, 2013
This could be good for job seekers but that word "disrupt" And i like his target- most job seekers go for big companies ignoring the SMEs regarding them as inferior. This could help in a way for sme's to reach out for qualities out there smiley

buh i dislike all this job-related stuffs like this
Re: 18 Yr-Old Nigerian Launches Website To Disrupt Africa's Job Recruitment Industry by Talk2bryant(m): 8:59am On Aug 05, 2013
Good step in the right direction. There are so many unemployed youths out there. This should be a great medium to connect with their employers.
Re: 18 Yr-Old Nigerian Launches Website To Disrupt Africa's Job Recruitment Industry by Rudolfbane: 1:11pm On Aug 05, 2013
Talk2bryant: Good step in the right direction. There are so many unemployed youths out there. This should be a great medium to connect with their employers.

Good point. xactly.
Re: 18 Yr-Old Nigerian Launches Website To Disrupt Africa's Job Recruitment Industry by GraphicsPlus(m): 6:48am On Aug 06, 2013
@OP, sorry but you are not new here. You just created this new account to post this and make front page. If you make front page, good for you. But I want you to know that you are: https://www.nairaland.com/howardriddle. And you are probably not 18 years old. You know that Nigerians or humans are vulnerable whenever they see that a teenager has developed something. But I dont see what is ground-breaking in what you are claiming to have done. I mean this is what jobberman has done already and they even have a mobile app for it. You have nothing new to offer. It's just a bunch of php script that will allow people to post their cv and search for jobs. The site is even in 403 Forbidden right now.

You claimed to be new, and the only thread you quickly created in webmasters and programming sections was this thread. Look, you are the owner of yolpe.com. You just pitched on those boys at techmoran to write that thing for you and then you copied, created a new account and pasted the stuff here. Your name is Howard Izundu. So this is your main Nairaland account: https://www.nairaland.com/howardriddle. It would have been honourable to post this as update using your main account. People that have read about your former post about your yolpe.com will now know that you got a mention in a blog or you paid techmoran to write about you. Whatever. But because you wanted to trick the moderators, you created a new account to post about your 18 years old startup stuff. When you posted this under this account https://www.nairaland.com/howardriddle you never said you are 18 years.
Re: 18 Yr-Old Nigerian Launches Website To Disrupt Africa's Job Recruitment Industry by Rudolfbane: 1:51pm On Aug 06, 2013
GraphicsPlus: @OP, sorry but you are not new

Please what is your problem??
Re: 18 Yr-Old Nigerian Launches Website To Disrupt Africa's Job Recruitment Industry by naijaswag1: 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
GraphicsPlus: @OP, sorry but you are not new here. You just created this new account to post this and make front page. If you make front page, good for you. But I want you to know that you are: https://www.nairaland.com/howardriddle. And you are probably not 18 years old. You know that Nigerians or humans are vulnerable whenever they see that a teenager has developed something. But I dont see what is ground-breaking in what you are claiming to have done. I mean this is what jobberman has done already and they even have a mobile app for it. You have nothing new to offer. It's just a bunch of php script that will allow people to post their cv and search for jobs. The site is even in 403 Forbidden right now.

You claimed to be new, and the only thread you quickly created in webmasters and programming sections was this thread. Look, you are the owner of yolpe.com. You just pitched on those boys at techmoran to write that thing for you and then you copied, created a new account and pasted the stuff here. Your name is Howard Izundu. So this is your main Nairaland account: https://www.nairaland.com/howardriddle. It would have been honourable to post this as update using your main account. People that have read about your former post about your yolpe.com will now know that you got a mention in a blog or you paid techmoran to write about you. Whatever. But because you wanted to trick the moderators, you created a new account to post about your 18 years old startup stuff. When you posted this under this account https://www.nairaland.com/howardriddle you never said you are 18 years.

Rudolfbane:

Please what is your problem??

CIA things. Investigative comments. *standing ovation*
Re: 18 Yr-Old Nigerian Launches Website To Disrupt Africa's Job Recruitment Industry by howardriddle: 5:50am On Aug 07, 2013
All those detractors and conspiracy theorists.

howardriddle: An 18-year-old Nigerian developer has launched a new recruitment platform aimed at changing recruitment in Nigeria.

The platform, Yolpe.com, has been launched in Beta and is designed to match job seekers and recruiters in the region.

Developer and ‘Chief Evangelist’ Howard Izundu says he became interested in the recruitment space when his father was looking for work. “For the past one year, I have had a roller coaster ride testing out different iterations in this space e.g. an internet job marketing site (hirepuss.com), social networks for employees to discuss, service for employees to complain about their jobs and warn off prospective companies etc. Then at my internet job marketing site, I discovered something.

As incredible as this may sound, job seekers were hardly applying at recruitment portals of small companies nor did they send quality resumes. This showed that job seekers were hardly interested in small SMEs, who were my major clients. In contrast, bigger organizations usually had a surplus of applications for every single job opening, which they hate, and applicants are usually under-qualified. So there is a surplus on one side and a deficit on the other.”

“Another issue is that you would publish a job opening on job boards without knowing if you would even get enough attention or quality applications. That why if you look closely, you would see companies doing re-runs of their ads, especially in newspapers. There is also the fact that companies do not usually have multiple positions open at once so they may usually hire one or two persons to fill this hole immediately and they usually fill this holes through referrals .”

"Also, if you have job-searched before, you will see that the present job-board system is broken at its core. I really do not blame the job-seekers for not applying as I well know the despair and discouragement that comes along with going to newspapers or job-boards, finding a suitable job and subsequently applying without any-hope of being selected, falling into the recruitment black hole.”

Izundu says the new platform aims to solve these problems by connecting job seekers with employers, removing the middlemen and creating ‘demands at both ends and sell it to both sides of the table. Easily.’

He says: “At its core, it’s kind of like a dating site (marketplace) for employers and those looking for work, having a noble mission: To make Job Seekers' information easily accessible online, enabling employers find them faster, speeding up the employment process.”

The portal is optimised for mobile use and aims to make finding an employee easy and eliminate job ads, applicant tracking systems, company recruitment portals and the system of applying for jobs by emailing resumes.
Tags
recruitment, yolpe

From : http://biztechafrica.com/article/young-entrepreneur-sets-sights-recruitment-market/6613/?section=internet

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Find Good Programmers In Delta State / Installing Oracle 10g On Window Xp / Program With C# Is There Any Expert In The House!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.