Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm (36786 Views)

How Four Friends Raped Me –14-year-old Girl (photo) / Our Neighbour Revived Me With Water After Raping Me Six Times –14-year-old Rape / 14-year-old Schoolboy Sexually Assaulted Teacher In Locked Classroom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by georgecso(m): 2:18pm On Aug 06, 2013

Hannah put this photo online on Thursday, the day before she killed herself

A 14-year-old Leicestershire girl killed herself after being bullied on a social networking site, her father has claimed.

Hannah Smith, from Lutterworth, was found hanged on Friday.

Her father Dave Smith, wrote on Facebook that he found bullying posts on his daughter's ask.fm page from people telling her to die.

Latvia-based ask.fm allows users to post anonymously. An inquest into Hannah's death has opened in Leicester.

Writing on Facebook last Friday, Mr Smith wrote: "Just to let all my friends know my youngest daughter took her own life last night."

'Broken heart'
He adds: "Rest in peace my baby and you will never be forgotten xxxxxxx."

He added: "My heart is broken in 2 and is gonna take a long time to repair i just hope that none of you have to go through the pain im goin through rite now [sic]."

Mr Smith has called for tighter controls to be applied to social networking sites such as ask.fm, a question and answer forum.

He wrote: "I have just seen the abuse my daughter got from people on ask fm and the fact that these people can be annoymous is wrong [sic]."

On his Facebook page, he asked people to sign an e-petition to introduce safeguarding measures on sites used by children.

Unlike sites such as Facebook and Twitter, there are no options to block or report users on ask.fm.

'Loss to understand'
The petition states: "Please sign if you would like the Government to step in and insist that Ask.fm and similar sites help us protect our young people. They are able to join from the age of 13 and can post anonymously."

In a statement, Hannah's headteacher at Lutterworth High School, Nora Parker, said: "The governors, staff and students of Lutterworth High School were deeply shocked and saddened to learn the news that on 2 August Hannah Smith, a year 9 student, took her own life.

"Hannah, who just completed her final year at the school and was looking to transfer to Lutterworth College in August, was a bright, bubbly, popular and thoughtful girl who was liked and respected by all those she came into contact with.

ask.fm homepage
"She had everything to live for and her family, who are utterly devastated, are at a loss to understand why this has happened."

Peter Wanless, chief executive of the NSPCC, said: "This is a tragic case where Hannah felt like she had no other option but to end her life.

"The cruel nature of cyberbullying allows perpetrators to remain anonymous and hide behind their screens.

"This is something that must be tackled before it gets out of hand. We must ensure young people have the confidence to speak out against this abuse, so they don't feel isolated and without anywhere to turn."

The Department for Education said in a statement that no-one "should have to suffer the fear and victimisation of bullying".

"The law is clear that what is illegal off-line is also illegal on-line.

"Perpetrators of grossly offensive, obscene or menacing behaviour face stiff punishment.

"Through the UK Council of Child Internet Safety we are working with social networking sites and internet providers to make the internet a safer place for a young people."

It also added that under the new curriculum children would be taught from the age of five "how to stay safe online, and how to communicate safely and respectfully".

At the opening of the inquest into Hannah's death, Leicestershire Coroner's Court was told a post-mortem examination had so far proved inconclusive.

Leicestershire Police confirmed a computer and mobile phone had been secured on behalf of the coroner.

A spokesperson said there was no ongoing criminal investigation, adding: "We await the coroner's verdict before making a decision on whether to pursue that."

The inquest was adjourned until a later date.

http://www.mallforafricaplus.com/index.html

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by Sloganz: 4:50pm On Aug 06, 2013
I hate that Ask.FM thing on Twitter. angry
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by Caracta(f): 4:51pm On Aug 06, 2013
cry cry cry
14? So sad... May God give the family the fortitude to bear the loss.

Nairalanders...pls stop bullying me! angry

10 Likes

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by HezronLorraine(m): 4:53pm On Aug 06, 2013
Would one say social media or lack of courage killed her.
Either ways,Suicide isn't the saviour.it adds more injuries.R.I.P.

6 Likes

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by Flygerian1(m): 4:54pm On Aug 06, 2013
R.I.P.
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by joshyjags: 4:54pm On Aug 06, 2013
nawa oooooh, na bully dem bully am ehhhhh, chai naija b d best, wch kind pikin for naija go go hang en sef sey dem yab am ?

46 Likes

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by georgecso(m): 4:54pm On Aug 06, 2013
so unfortunate... thanks Mod..
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by rubii09: 4:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
eya Rip
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by avalontony(m): 4:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
obanje things....... but she for no try am for naija!!!!....RIP......
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by rhymesteey(f): 4:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
Sad story!
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by ReubenAbati: 4:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
What a loss.

Lonliness + Bullyin = Suicide.

Love each other as yourself.

2 Likes

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by simp: 4:56pm On Aug 06, 2013
oyinbo life self,then all of us for naija suppose don kill ourself finish.one time for the younger in our neighborhoods who get bullied everyday and still keep their heads up.

5 Likes

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by MzDesire(f): 4:57pm On Aug 06, 2013
RIP.....to the deceased..
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by nerodenero: 4:58pm On Aug 06, 2013
Rest in peace young lady.
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by adexsimply(m): 4:58pm On Aug 06, 2013
Caracta: cry cry cry
14? So sad... May God give the family the fortitude to bear the loss.

Nairalanders...pls stop bullying me! angry
If you can Stop being a pain-in-the-a55.. tongue tongue wink wink cheesy
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 06, 2013
Its so unfortunate. RIP lil'one
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by Donmichaelz(m): 5:00pm On Aug 06, 2013
BULLY?so sad when I was young any 1 dat bullies me my mum will tell me to stand up for myself and fight,I did it and I became a Bully to bullies(I was letter called HULK hogan), don't tell ur child to run away from bullies,teach them to face them and if he. Or she can't Then report to the school authorities...I told my nephew who got bullied to put a stone in his socks and hit the bully on his fore head,after a week I was called to the school to make a report,it wasn't funny tho but till "forever" my nephew is now being feared here in BROOKLYN. Thanks to me smiley

IF only I knew these girl I might have helped.....the only way you can stop Bullies is build a self esteem in your child trust me when your child have all the love,confidence from home He hardly Fears anyone he will fight for himself....

26 Likes

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by Donmichaelz(m): 5:01pm On Aug 06, 2013
smiley
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by Djtm(m): 5:01pm On Aug 06, 2013
And you guys are always 'cyber-bullying' Sexkillz ;(

7 Likes

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by effisyman: 5:02pm On Aug 06, 2013
[quote author=ClassicSparkles]Its so cool being the first to comment on dis post!Nawa sha..May she R.I.P..[/quote
You must be cooling now I guess.
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by bammo: 5:03pm On Aug 06, 2013
May her soul rest in peace. Thirg has 2 stop . I don sign too
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by Nobody: 5:03pm On Aug 06, 2013
Ask.fm? Let her father come to Nairaland and see what they call bullying!

11 Likes

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by adtiezy1(m): 5:03pm On Aug 06, 2013
what are they saying??

1 Like

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by ooshinibos: 5:03pm On Aug 06, 2013
oYIBO PIKIN WEAK O

1 Like

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by bammo: 5:03pm On Aug 06, 2013
May her soul rest in peace. This has 2 stop . I don sign too
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by houstonia(m): 5:03pm On Aug 06, 2013
Social network ko, communist Network ni,Nothing kill her. That means if she chop half the wordings and yabing wey me done chop from ajegunle to Ikotun down to ikorodu, she for kill her papa join. See mumu o. Now she just waste, wey she for come Naija come fulfill people oguego dreams.

5 Likes

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by Leobreezy(m): 5:04pm On Aug 06, 2013
It's very easy, if you don't like being bullied online turn off the computer or mobile Phone or join another website. Oyinbo people sha. Rip, hope her dad gets the strength to cope with the loss.

6 Likes

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 06, 2013
ClassicSparkles: Its so cool being the first to comment on dis post!Nawa sha..May she R.I.P..

You need arithmetic....

1 Like

Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by prince2blinks(m): 5:05pm On Aug 06, 2013
May her innocent soul rest in peace.
Re: 14-year-old Killed Herself After Being Bullied On Ask.fm by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 06, 2013
ALL THESE OYINBO STORIES NO DEY INTEREST ME. THEIR WAY OF LIFE IS NATURALLY STUPID AND UNCULTURED

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

UNIBEN Student Shot In The Head By Rival Cult Group In Edo State. Photo / Gunmen Invade Hausa Settlement In Asaba; Four Feared Dead / Pastor Timothy Omotoso On Trial For Human Trafficking In South Africa. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.