Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,191 members, 7,953,684 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:10 PM

Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians (1033 Views)

BREAKING! Morocco 2014: Okagbare Wins Nigeria’s First Gold Medal / BBC Disrespects Nigeria And Blessing Okagbare At Commonwealth Game / Blessing Okagbare Wins 200m Gold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 08, 2013
THE decision by Team Nigeria to register the nation's brightest medals' hope at the Moscow 2013 IAAF World Championship, Blessing Okagbare, for four events has become a major concern for the country's athletics faithful.

Okagbare became the first Nigerian and African woman to duck under 10.80 seconds in the women's 100m dash when she smashed the African women's 100m record twice on her way to victory at the London Anniversary Games two weeks ago. Her performance on the track this season has given Nigerians hope of medals in the world championship.

The Nigeria team arrived Moscow in batches two days ago following the Athletics Federation of Nigeria's (AFN) decision to call off an earlier planned two-week camping programme due to the Sports Ministry/National Sports Commissions' (NSC) failure to provide the needed fund.

A total of 20 athletes, made up of 12 women and eight men, made the Moscow team.

A check on the list of athletes entered by the top countries like United States, Great Britain and Jamaica for the championship yesterday showed that Okagbare is the only athlete to feature in four events.

While Team Nigeria registered Okagbare for four events, including the Long jump, 4x100m relay, 200m and 100m, her American rival, Jeter Carmelita, is registered for the 100m only. Team USA also registered Funmi Jimoh for the women long jump event only to preserve her energy in her anticipated battle with Okagbare.

The closest to Okagbare's record four entries is Jamaica's speed star, Fraser-Pryce Shelly Ann. She will compete in three events, including the 100m, 200m and 4x100m. Even Jamaica's workaholic, Usian Bolt, will compete in three events only. These are the 100m, 200m and the 4x100m relay.

Some analysts said yesterday that registering Okagbare for four events at such a high profile championship could be counter-productive.

"I expected Team Nigeria to enter Okagbare in three events and not four. We know that she is good in the long jump, 200m and 100m. To me, the idea of registering her for the 4x100m relay is wrong. Our officials must be very careful because greed could do a great damage to our quest for at least a gold medal in this championship," one athletics coach told The Guardian yesterday.

Two weeks ago in London, Okagbare posted a stunning 10.79 seconds to win the 100m title, beating Olympic champion, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and others in the final.

Before then, Okagbare had on June 30 won the 200m in the Birmingham Diamond League in 22.55 seconds.

The Sapele-born star also won the long jump event at IAAF Diamond League on July 5 in Lausanne, with 6.98 metres before crossing to Monaco IAAF Diamond League, where she recorded a personal best of 7.04m also in the long jump.

Three athletes on Team Nigeria train to Moscow, Momoh Leoman (800m), Ibukun Mayungbe (4x400 relay) and Ugonna Ndu (400m hurdles) were not in the IAAF athletes' entry list posted on their website Wednesday.
http://odili.net/news/source/2013/aug/8/8.html

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 08, 2013
4 events ? 3 should be enough for her. But if she is willing to do them - I have no problem (as long as she wins medals though cool )

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Basilona(m): 7:30pm On Aug 08, 2013
It might prove to be much of a drag but if she feels confident enough, let her gun for them.
What the Nigerian Athletics Federation should be pushing for is to convince the IAAF to give special consideration and adjust some of the race schedules to accomodate her multiple entries. The US Athletics Federation did same for the MaRION Jones, Michael Johnson et al. She deserves the same treatment. She's earned it.

Go Ble-Ble! Do us proud and may the force be with you

2 Likes

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by HezronLorraine(m): 7:37pm On Aug 08, 2013
adaobi123: 4 events ? 3 should be enough for her. But if she is willing to do them - I have no problem (as long as she wins medals though cool )
my thoughts exactly.

I don't get the way NSC or AFN make some monopolistic decisions,like at the last year olympics,they dashed the dream of Nigeria swimmers for reason they said,they're not medal hopeful.at least they'll give them the shot at it.we all knew D'tigers were bound for humiliation on the basketball olympic group.at least they had a chance to test their abilities.

On this new development.some sacrifices needs to be made.Okagbare should have been entered for a single event.yes!she's made her mark already.we don't need to over-utilize her potentials as a great star she is.this decision is to bully other competing teams in the different categories.

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by HezronLorraine(m): 7:38pm On Aug 08, 2013

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by classicmusic: 7:42pm On Aug 08, 2013
Just hoping we wouldn't av another Marion Jones case in our hands years after this event(dats if she wins at least two gold medals in the games. Entering for 4 events to me is not too taskingv if u may ask me.What of those dat register for the heptatilon where u combine 7 different eventss just to win a medal.Besides two of those events are just semis n finals. Okhagbere all d way joor.
Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 7:59pm On Aug 08, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: my thoughts exactly.

I don't get the way NSC or AFN make some monopolistic decisions,like at the last year olympics,they dashed the dream of Nigeria swimmers for reason they said,they're not medal hopeful.at least they'll give them the shot at it.we all knew D'tigers were bound for humiliation on the basketball olympic group.at least they had a chance to test their abilities.

On this new development.some sacrifices needs to be made.Okagbare should have been entered for a single event.yes!she's made her mark already.we don't need to over-utilize her potentials as a great star she is.this decision is to bully other competing teams in the different categories.

Only a single event ? I think she should have only been entered in the 100m and the relay tbh and possibly the long jump. Imo out of all the athletes, shes the only that can win a medal. Most of them may only reach the semi finals if not only the heats. lipsrsealed Nigeria needs as much medals as we can get.

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by HezronLorraine(m): 8:03pm On Aug 08, 2013
adaobi123:

Only a single event ? I think she should have only been entered in the 100m and the relay tbh and possibly the long jump. Imo out of all the athletes, shes the only that can win a medal. Most of them may only reach the semi finals if not only the heats. lipsrsealed Nigeria needs as much medals as we can get.
well let's leave the further talk to her performance.
Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 08, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: well let's leave the further talk to her performance.

Okayy cool
Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 08, 2013
Okagbare will win 3 medals at the World's. I don't think the 4x100 relay team is good enough to win a medal undecided

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by HezronLorraine(m): 8:23pm On Aug 08, 2013
CFCfan: Okagbare will win 3 medals at the World's. I don't think the 4x100 relay team is good enough to win a medal undecided
they'll probably lose in the quarter-finals as usual.
Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 08, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: they'll probably lose in the quarter-finals as usual.
Nah, I think they'll make the final, but finish outside the top 3. (I hope I'm wrong though).
The 3 other runners have not done sub 11secs this year.
Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 08, 2013
Just hope the USA mess up lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 08, 2013
adaobi123: Just hope the USA mess up lipsrsealed
Seconded cheesy

I'm suspecting some of these US athletes, especially Carmelita Jeter. She's in her 30s and still in top form shocked
Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 08, 2013
CFCfan:
Seconded cheesy

I'm suspecting some of these US athletes, especially Carmelita Jeter. She's in her 30s and still in top form shocked

Her recent races haven't been that good. From what I've seen though.

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 9:05pm On Aug 08, 2013
adaobi123:

Her recent races haven't been that good. From what I've seen though.
Yeah, but watch out for her in Moscow. Being the fastest woman alive no be beans (10.65s).
Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 08, 2013
CFCfan:
Yeah, but watch out for her in Moscow. Being the fastest woman alive no be beans (10.65s).

Of course. I'll be watching. Imagine it starts at 6 a.m angry
Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 08, 2013
adaobi123:

Eyaa undecided
Over here in the US, it will be tape-delayed on most days, except 2.

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by HezronLorraine(m): 9:28pm On Aug 08, 2013
CFCfan:
Nah, I think they'll make the final, but finish outside the top 3. (I hope I'm wrong though).
The 3 other runners have not done sub 11secs this year.
anything can happen.let's keep the faith up.

2 Likes

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by akintun: 10:54pm On Aug 08, 2013
adaobi123:

D way IAAF organized d schedule makes it almost impossible 4 Okagbare not to enter for 4 events. D only event she would have considered dropping is d 200m, and it is an event I think she has won all d races she has ran dis season, but d 200m starts 2 days after d 100m final, and she is expected to have rested well b4 then. Infact her problems would not diminish if she had entered for 3 events. Her diff period is d first there days, and every other is just bonus. Let's not forget dat in 2010, at d NCAA she was involved in so many events over a short period of time.

3 Likes

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Basilona(m): 11:07pm On Aug 08, 2013
akintun:

D way IAAF organized d schedule makes it almost impossible 4 Okagbare not to enter for 4 events. D only event she would have considered dropping is d 200m, and it is an event I think she has won all d races she has ran dis season, but d 200m starts 2 days after d 100m final, and she is expected to have rested well b4 then. Infact her problems would not diminish if she had entered for 3 events. Her diff period is d first there days, and every other is just bonus. Let's not forget dat in 2010, at d NCAA she was involved in so many events over a short period of time.

If this is xo then she's stands a chance

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by deene: 1:01am On Aug 10, 2013
adaobi123:

i dont think so ... here in nigeria most of the finals will be around 6 or 7 pm.

Russia is 3hrs ahead.....

i cant wait for tomoro ... goose bumps.

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by deene: 1:06am On Aug 10, 2013
akintun:

true talk. I can't even forget d relay finals ... she came from far behind to meet up with the other anchor ... grace!

I believe she can do this ... even d relay is on d second to last and last day ... Allyson Felix always does for events ... in London Olympics she won 3 golds.

if blessing wins a medal in all three individual events, she ll b the first woman ever to do that.

let's go naija
Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Krasid(m): 1:15am On Aug 10, 2013
Why would she participate in 4 competions.it's not reasonable at all.At the end of the day she will end up being confused and end with no medals.

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by Nobody: 1:22am On Aug 10, 2013
deene:

i dont think so ... here in nigeria most of the finals will be around 6 or 7 pm.

Russia is 3hrs ahead.....

i cant wait for tomoro ... goose bumps.

I'm not talking about finals.......

1 Like

Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by deene: 2:45am On Aug 10, 2013
Krasid: Why would she participate in 4 competions.it's not reasonable at all.At the end of the day she will end up being confused and end with no medals.

please let us not be pessimistic ... she will not be the first ever to run 4 events and she is gud in all.

she just needs to relax in d heats n semis ... she should save her power for the finals
Re: Okagbare's Entry For Multiple Events Worries Nigerians by deene: 2:47am On Aug 10, 2013
adaobi123:

I'm not talking about finals.......

yes that is true ... events start around 6am everyday ...

I guess we have to wake early from Sunday morning ... we just start our own Muslim fast LOL

up 9ja!

(1) (Reply)

Micheal Essien, Former Chelsea Star And AC Milan Player Contact Ebola Virus / Akinfenwa Claims He'd 'snooze' Costa If They Clashed On The Pitch(pix) / Paul Merson Predicts The Premier League

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.