Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Is Nairaland Really Doing The Work Of Fostering/promoting Nigerian Unity? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Nairaland Really Doing The Work Of Fostering/promoting Nigerian Unity? (739 Views)

The Human-shaped Soapstone Figures In Esie: Work Of Gods Or Man? / Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture / Promoting The Culture Board On The Frontpage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nairaland Really Doing The Work Of Fostering/promoting Nigerian Unity? by LordNicvuitton(m): 9:09am On Aug 09, 2013
Ma names are Victory Chiazokam and I joined Nairaland the first time on 2007 and lost interest in this site afterwards due to tribal sentiments.. so I left. In 2012, 5yrs later, I joined Nairaland again and to ma greatest surprise, tribal sentiments, bigotry and all other forms of hatred still abound and have become almost non-detachable part of Nairaland of which the 2 major players are always the igbos and yorubas.. Ma question is thus; who benefits from the online tribal war on Nairaland? 2. what impression do we create in the eyes of foreign visitors of Nairaland? 3. Do we really wish to see a divided Nigeria just like America predicted? 4. will the issue of everybody going back to their indegenous tribes really solve Nigerian problem? 5. Are we nat making the same mistakes our fore fathers made? I need constuctive arguements.. I dream of a time when there will be zero tolerance for tribal sentiments, bigotry, ethnocentism and outright hatred of Nigerians from other tribes. there is power in spoken words remember, who is ready to be a Nairaland peace Ambassador? I am.. let's re-brand Nairaland and only when we have truely loved our Neighbours from other tribes and tongues can we really lift our voices nd echoe "ONE NIGERIA".

2 Likes

Re: Is Nairaland Really Doing The Work Of Fostering/promoting Nigerian Unity? by Nobody: 4:07am On Aug 10, 2013
Lord Nicvuitton: Ma names are Victory Chiazokam and I joined Nairaland the first time on 2007 and lost interest in this site afterwards due to tribal sentiments.. so I left. In 2012, 5yrs later, I joined Nairaland again and to ma greatest surprise, tribal sentiments, bigotry and all other forms of hatred still abound and have become almost non-detachable part of Nairaland of which the 2 major players are always the igbos and yorubas.. Ma question is thus; who benefits from the online tribal war on Nairaland? 2. what impression do we create in the eyes of foreign visitors of Nairaland? 3. Do we really wish to see a divided Nigeria just like America predicted? 4. will the issue of everybody going back to their indegenous tribes really solve Nigerian problem?5. Are we nat making the same mistakes our fore fathers made? I need constuctive arguements.. I dream of a time when there will be zero tolerance for tribal sentiments, bigotry, ethnocentism and outright hatred of Nigerians from other tribes. there is power in spoken words remember, who is ready to be a Nairaland peace Ambassador? I am.. let's re-brand Nairaland and only when we have truely loved our Neighbours from other tribes and tongues can we really lift our voices nd echoe "ONE NIGERIA".

I have always wondered what the heck is going on too. I am Igbo but when I see the tribal jingoists, I just take a hike. It is not only on Nairaland, check the Nigerian newspapers' online comments. Both the Igbo and Yoruba revanchists run amok every where online. The vitriol from both sides are despicable and should be condemned.

Take for example the recent deportation of Igbo from Lagos. Missing in the discussion about the the atrocious conduct of Fashola is rational thinking from both sides of the aisle. Rather than look at the fact that Fashola's conduct is not necessarily tribal but more like class warfare, both sides dug-in to struggle for the soul of Lagos. For the Igbo irredentists, you can't take the Igbo away from their Lagos land and similarly for their Yoruba cohorts, the Igbo can't take the land of Lagos away from the Yoruba.Therein lies the dilemma. The e-war has since continued unabated as we speak.

Yet, the Igbo and the Yoruba claim to be the most educated and sophisticate in Nigeria. It is quite shameful. May be the voices of reason can intervene to calm the nerves of the vocal minorities who are stoking the embers of ethnic irredentism. We are all Africans aren't we? Moreover, we are of the human race in transit. How much land does a man need? Primordial sentiments would only lead Nigerians to perdition.

I suggest that this topic be moved to the front page so that more voices of reason would chime in to see if this fire of hatred between these two tribes can be doused. If you like this suggestion vote by clicking like on this comment.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nairaland Really Doing The Work Of Fostering/promoting Nigerian Unity? by LordNicvuitton(m): 2:46pm On Aug 10, 2013
to imagine that some Nairalanders are addicted to e-war and bigotry is almost incomprehensible.. what has Mr Seun, the super mods and mods really done about this serious issue? ma guess is as good as yours.. I'ould hate to think that some one or some peeps benefit from this ugly monster (ethnocentrism, tribalism, bigotry) which could one day metamorphose into ethnic cleansing, real wars, phobia for peeps from other tribes and tongues and their numerous evil sibblings.. One Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Really Doing The Work Of Fostering/promoting Nigerian Unity? by Kc3000: 3:05am On Aug 12, 2013
This website has done anything but unite Nigerians. As far as I am concerned, the ownership and administrators of this site have attained expertise in the art of setting the table and pitching Nigerians against each other, by promoting inflammatory topics that are certain to tug at ethnic sentiments. Consequently, what should have been the epicenter of the Nigerian socio-economic and political blogosphere, like the country it represents, has diminished beyond recognition. The palpable exodus of most well-meaning and intellectual contributors to this site is a testament to its repugnant state. One looks back with keen fondness and nostalgia to the days when logging onto nairaland brought you in contact with a myriad of other brilliant Nigerian minds. Elaborate and educative discussions on culture, history, academia, politics, sports, real estate, business etc, were the norm. Then, any inquisitive mind that ventured into nairaland absolutely found it to be an edifying experience.

Nigerians, myself included, are fond of blaming all our woes on poor leadership. Indeed, we are burdened by poor leadership, but even worse are the citizenry. A people enchanted by corruption, a distaste for fair play, ethnic discrimination and all sorts of moral decadence cannot produce leaders that are dissimilar. Even in the absence of our incompetent government and leadership, we have sufficiently failed on our own, as a community of Nigerian citizens online, to mutually coexist with respect and admiration for each other, to represent our country in a positive light, and to focus our energy on addressing the real issues that hobble our sickly nation. A philosopher once posited that every country has the government it deserves, a statement Nigerians have proven right over and over again, as we blatantly disregard the many ailments of our nation, while preferring to engage in bigotry. In many ways, the discouraging drift of nairaland mirrors the disconcerting bearing of the Nigerian state, with the common denominator being the 'good' people of Nigeria.
Re: Is Nairaland Really Doing The Work Of Fostering/promoting Nigerian Unity? by Adrenaline123(m): 10:00am On Aug 15, 2013
I HATE IT WHEN I COME ACROSS THREADS WITH ETHNOCENTRIC COMPONENTS DIFFERENT TRIBES ENGAGING IN ELECTRONIC-TRIBAL-WAR, SPLASHING VULGAR ON ONE ANOTHER ESPECIALLY IN THE POLITICS SECTION. Nairaland should be a tool for tranquility and peace building, creating inspiration for future innovations that will unite our different cultural attitude towards one another. This issue most be looked into otherwise it will keep on bringing negative impression to nairalanders about people of different tribe. Example, assuming you just opened a thread and found out that two different tribes are exchanging unpleasant and disapproving words and unfortunately you belong to a particular tribe, going through the thread reading all posts has implanted in you a negative understanding about the other tribe which keeps growing whenever you come across such threads. This should not be so.
More efforts should be put in place to reduce such level of ethnic hullabaloo ESPECIALLY IN THE POLITICS SECTION.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Latest Dating Trends And The Questions That Needs Answers? / Ooni Of Ife Sworn-in As New UNN Chancellor (photos) / Is This A Nigerian Thing To Do? Is This The Best Option?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.