Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree (40186 Views)

Careers In Public Health / Possibilities With MPH / I Graduated With 2.2,can I Have My Masters In Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by toshmann(m): 10:00pm On May 28, 2006
brothers and sisters, i am a nigerian student in the UK. i'm rounding up my MPH(master in public health) . i want to know if there is any hope for me back home(africa/nigeria) or any advise i may get towards pursuing a career in public health.
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by Nobody: 10:20pm On May 28, 2006
Join UNICEF or WHO in Nigeria, MPH guys are in hot demand even my mum, a medical doctor, had to go for an MPH at 50!
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by toshmann(m): 12:19am On May 29, 2006
davidylan:

Join UNICEF or WHO in Nigeria, MPH guys are in hot demand even my mum, a medical doctor, had to go for an MPH at 50!

thanx david, but do u think i stand a chance? i mean, i come from a poor home that doesn't have connections in high places. this is what scares me about home, having to know people before one gets anything. i really need to pursue this career.africa needs help and yet young educated people dont have the opportunity to utilise their full potentials.
let's watch and see. but all the same thanx for the advice
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by Dauda(m): 7:42am On May 29, 2006
UNICEF, UN or WHO employs people of your skills set. You hit the nail on the head when you talked about connections. Don't be discouraged, keeping knocking and a door might just open for you.
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by dearie(m): 7:57am On May 30, 2006
Hi Toshmann, u r a lucky chap, Dauda is perfectly right, u guys are in hot demand in W.H.O, i recently did Ad-Hoc assignment with them, and was advised to pursue a career in MPH if i aspire to work with the organisation.
So my guy, dont be scared, the world is a global place n even from UK u can log on to their website n check out the vacancies n send in your application. UN is a world body and u dont need to be in Nigeria to work here.
All da best ma bro, I'm just a Bachelor's Degree holder and will soon start my Masters degree.
Take care.
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 30, 2006
Give it a shot toshman, a degree from the UK already gives you an edge over others. Best of luck.
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by blueband(m): 3:10pm On Dec 11, 2007
Have you tried FHI?
What is your background?Are you a medical doctor?Is your research topic in anyway related to the developing tropics?

Whats your email?I might be able to send you emails of some people you can contact.

Regards

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by oboha: 6:11am On Dec 13, 2007
Blueband, any assistance for any body with mbbs\mph in Lagos without experience?
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by mgbogo: 7:36am On Mar 06, 2009
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by aieromon(m): 4:08pm On Mar 08, 2009
good luck bro.target the NGOs like USAID,FHI,Action Aid INtl etc. cool
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by Obinoscopy(m): 10:22pm On Nov 05, 2009
I got admission to do Public Health in Unilag but am working at present.
Please can anyone tell me the lecture pattern and school timetable format for part time masters student in Unilag let me know if I can do the two concurrently.
Thanks
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by jaybee3(m): 10:25pm On Nov 05, 2009
do you have work permit in the uk?
if u do, we've got vacancies for analyst at an org that regulates the NHS and independent healthcare service providers.
Pay is abt 25k for grads like urself.
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by Obinoscopy(m): 7:49am On Nov 06, 2009
jay bee:

do you have work permit in the uk?
if u do, we've got vacancies for analyst at an org that regulates the NHS and independent healthcare service providers.
Pay is abt 25k for grads like urself.
Don't have a work permit in the UK. Can't the Company help with that?
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by jaybee3(m): 10:23am On Nov 06, 2009
Obinoscopy:

Don't have a work permit in the UK. Can't the Company help with that?
sorry bro, government orgs hardly help with work permits.
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by rodeoxav: 11:19am On Nov 06, 2009
Guy, with your Masters, you can work anywhere for Naija. As long as you know your way, you can even become an engineer. No be naija.
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 06, 2009
wink
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by Dipole: 2:54pm On Dec 17, 2009
WHO will be a better place for you. Or you can become a resaercher in one of the numerous Teaching Hospital and College of Medicine in Nigeria.

Best of Luck.
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by chiogo(f): 4:03am On Jan 02, 2010
What about a Bachelor's in PH? What can you do with it?
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by Obinoscopy(m): 8:41am On Jan 02, 2010
Is there any school in Nigeria that offer a Bachelors degree in Public Health?
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by toshmann(m): 5:12pm On Jan 02, 2010
i left the UK after my studies to pursue a further career in clinical medicine in the US. if nigeria was a place where young talented intellectuals had a chance without knowing someone in high places, i would have loved to come home. i tried to get a job in naija but it didnt work.

i just finished my licence exams in the US and will soon start my residency. i'm not happy b/c i know the best place for me to work would have been my own country. i will still end up in nigeria someday

3 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by Obinoscopy(m): 6:39pm On Jan 02, 2010
toshmann:

i left the UK after my studies to pursue a further career in clinical medicine in the US. if nigeria was a place where young talented intellectuals had a chance without knowing someone in high places, i would have loved to come home. i tried to get a job in naija but it didnt work.

i just finished my licence exams in the US and will soon start my residency. i'm not happy b/c i know the best place for me to work would have been my own country. i will still end up in nigeria someday

Wish you the best broda!
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by chiogo(f): 8:47pm On Jan 02, 2010
toshmann:

Very true.
Good luck!!
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by GoodLuck3: 1:23am On Feb 01, 2010
There are lots of things to do with your MPH degree in Nigeria, but you have to explore your options and narrow your area of intrest regarding public issues affecting Nigeria.
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by jaydude(f): 2:30pm On Feb 01, 2010
my candid advice is that you apply 4 a work permit after your masters.its usually 4 a year or 2,work after ur masters,gain experience b4 comin back.pub health orgs hardly apply freshers with ur masters or not, so its better u cum back wit d experience,dats if u dnt find better opportunities there, all d best

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by superk: 2:18pm On Feb 05, 2010
I recently completed my MBBS program in Nigeria and want to find out how I can get a Masters degree in Public Health in the UK?
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by Obinoscopy(m): 5:45pm On Feb 05, 2010
After ur masters in the UK what next? Bomb a plane? . . . . LMAO
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by joxiri: 6:53pm On Feb 11, 2010
poster
have you considered searching for jobs in the uk
My health economics lecturer once said there was a shortage of health care professionals in the uk (i.e msc in economics of health)
but I am sure there are some similarities btw your course and health economics
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by menek(m): 3:13pm On Mar 21, 2010
Is there any hope for physiology graduate in naija? I want to do mph but this connection thing is scaring me, which area do i do my master now. I need advice plssss
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by kanmi22(f): 7:03pm On Jun 10, 2010
Hello brothers and sisters, i am a young lady presently in the united states. I am almost done with my respiratory therapy bachelor degree but i am offered an opportunity to attend an MPH program here in the state. I want to do this program because i plan on moving back to naija in another 10years by God's grace, however, when i come back to stay, i want to be able to do something with my life over there except BUSINESS (i don't like business!!!!), Any advice on this decision about an MPH concentration in epidemiology and biostatistics in Nigeria? I am hoping to be productive to my country through my strength which is health care. Any input will be appreciated,
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by toshmann(m): 3:21am On Jul 24, 2010
i feel you kanmi. i feel under utilised in this country. my heart bleeds for motherland, but when i see my colleagues running out from the country, telling me there's no hope if i dont have connections(someone said if i like i can have a degree from harvard, without connections it's like a degree from an obscure polytech in a remote village)

my decision is that i will establish here, make a name for myself, then head home. that way i wont need connections to give my best to my fatherland. my reputation will go before me.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by drstasi: 6:51pm On Aug 20, 2010
Hallo all.I am studying hard for the gre in order to do an MPH,after that the USMLE.What does the house think?
Re: What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree by Flawlessdiva1(f): 11:54am On Jan 30, 2012
Obinoscopy:

Is there any school in Nigeria that offer a Bachelors degree in Public Health?
yes there is, futo for heartbreaking 5years and university of ibadan for 4consoling years. Yes, what are prospects of a bachelors degree in public health. Does one still have an edge in WhO,UN or UNICEF. Replies please.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos Of A Nigerian Lawyer Who Is Also A Nun Sister / Is Exxon Mobil The Highest Paying Multinational Oil Firm In Nigeria For 2018? / Lady In Hijab Spotted Riding Keke Napep (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.