Stats: 3,155,478 members, 7,826,804 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous (3239 Views)

Men Beware! This Sex Position Could Break Your Manhood! / Bad Toilet Habits Such As This Could Be Dangerous (with Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by Etumgbe(m): 11:53am On Aug 12, 2013
My people pls If you have a plant like the one in the picture below, get rid of it.

This plant is very common at our houses, gardens, parks and offices (popular as indoor & outdoor plant). The plant (Dumb Cane or Dieffenbachia) is now proven to be dangerous, so, please take care!

I know that the leaf of this plant causes itching if its sap (milk) touches your skin. But there are more dangerous facts! Read the details below.May be useful for you. You better believe it. Please read below.

One of my friends almost lost her daughter who put a piece of the leaf of this plant in her mouth and her tongue swelled to the point of suffocation. This is one plant but there are others with the same characteristics of coloring. Those are also poisonous and we should get rid of them.

Please watch out for our children. As we all leave our children at home in the hands of a nanny, we should give them a safe environment where they can play.Name: Dumb Cane or Dieffenbachia

"This plant that we have in our homes and offices is extremely dangerous! This plant is common in Rwanda. It is a deadly poison, most specially for the children. It can kill a kid in less than a minute and an adult in 15 minutes. It should be uprooted from gardens and taken out of offices. If touched, one should never touch his/her eyes; it can cause partial or permanent blindness." SHARE PLS.

7 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by REMMEI(m): 12:45pm On Aug 12, 2013
PLEASE WE NEED THIS TO HIT THE FRONT PAGE IF IT'S CONFIRMED TRUE.
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by firestar(f): 12:58pm On Aug 12, 2013
Hmmm...

There's another variant, but speckled with red and has cocoyam shaped leaves. Same genus?
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 12, 2013
Not sure cos I use to play wit dis plant wen I was little I used it in playing "cooking" wit small containers but nothing happened to me. I also knw some homes where dey use it as a decoration
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by 012akujane(f): 3:58pm On Aug 12, 2013
Thanks 4 d info
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by zegniyi(m): 4:09pm On Aug 12, 2013
thanks sir
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by demmy55(m): 6:26pm On Aug 12, 2013
Ms_Steph: Not sure cos I use to play wit dis plant wen I was little I used it in playing "cooking" wit small containers but nothing happened to me. I also knw some homes where dey use it as a decoration
Same here but my throat was itching afterwards.
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by greatgod2012(f): 1:55am On Aug 13, 2013
Heeeeeeeeeeee!
May God help us o
We use to call this plant "flower" and I don't know if we are right, but we have it plenty plenty in our compound. I think I need to show my hubby this thread, so that he can agree and support me in uprooting them.

Thanks, @op
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by Nobody: 6:29am On Aug 13, 2013
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by temisukanmi(f): 6:33pm On Aug 13, 2013
We used 2 have this plant in our compound, we call it flower, I remember a day my little sister fell into it,†̥ђe̶̲̥̅ next thing we saw was dat, she was itching all over, she cried dat day ehn!! but †̥ђe̶̲̥̅ itching did not subside until we rubbbed palm oil over her.. †̥ђe̶̲̥̅ milky sap in plant is dangerous..
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by Nobody: 11:03pm On Aug 13, 2013
Thata probably why the faux versions can be found in offices and hotels as opposed to the real thing...

Good looking out with the info. smiley
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by MabraO: 10:11am On Oct 17, 2014
I could remember when I was still little I bit a small part of that plant
The itching I got on my tongue wasn't pleasing I nearly cut my tongue off.
But thank God after few hours or minutes if itching it finally stopped.

Thanks for d enlightenment op
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by Nobody: 10:13am On Oct 17, 2014
MabraO:
I could remember when I was still little I bit a small part of that plant
The itching I got on my tongue wasn't pleasing I nearly cut my tongue off.
But thank God after few hours or minutes if itching it finally stopped.

Thanks for d enlightenment op

How are you doing dearie? Longest time.
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by PapiWata: 10:47am On Oct 17, 2014
Good post Etumgbe. Heath advisories like yours take just a moment to read, yet have the potential to avert disaster in many households and public spaces.

There is no question that the timely information you have provided, accompanied by that very clear photograph, will enable lives to be saved by preemptive removal of the plant wherever it exists in areas accessible to children.
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by MabraO: 10:53am On Oct 17, 2014
Elantracey:

How are you doing dearie? Longest time.

Am just 4weeks old

Yea been a while
How is studies?
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by Nobody: 10:58am On Oct 17, 2014
MabraO:

Am just 4weeks old

Yea been a while
How is studies?

Just there, how's camp?
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by MabraO: 11:15am On Oct 17, 2014
Elantracey:

Just there, how's camp?

Camp has long been over
In my place of primary assignment now
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 17, 2014
MabraO:

Camp has long been over
In my place of primary assignment now

Oh never knew, all the best.
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by MabraO: 2:22pm On Oct 17, 2014
Elantracey:

Oh never knew, all the best.

How y holding up?
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by Seun(m): 3:07pm On Oct 17, 2014
@Etumgbe: Just tell your children not to graze on the leaves; they are not goats
Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by Raypawer(m): 3:11pm On Oct 17, 2014
undecided undecided undecided

nd this plant dey our compound like flower...

mak i reach house... i go use cutlass romance am!

thanks op...

Re: Beware This Plant May Be Dangerous by Seun(m): 3:15pm On Oct 17, 2014
Killer House Plant Warning

Outline
Message claims that an indoor plant that is commonly kept in homes and offices is so poisonous that it can kill a child in less than a minute and an adult in 15 minutes. The message, which comes with a photograph of the "killer plant", also warns that touching the plant and then rubbing your eyes can cause permanent blindness.

Brief Analysis
The plant shown in the photograph that comes with this warning email is a dieffenbachia, a very popular indoor pot plant. If the leaves of dieffenbachia are ingested by humans or animals, poisoning can indeed occur. However, this warning message significantly exaggerates the severity of dieffenbachia poisoning. Deaths from dieffenbachia poisoning can occur, but are very rare. Most human poisoning cases result in relatively minor symptoms and the victim makes a full recovery.

Read here for a full analysis of the hoax: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/killer-house-plant-warning.shtml

(1)

Outdoor Plumbing For Girls Is Finally Out (photo) / I Created Aids To Deliberately Depopulate Humanity - Dr Robert Gallo / 9 & 30 Day Weight Management Program