Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,552 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria (2607 Views)

Ghana’s New Visa Policy: Why I Think Nigeria Should Do Same / Why I Hate Winter. / Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by Raiders: 6:09am On Aug 15, 2013
Chronicle:

Feb. 26, 2013. A 17-year-old African-American and Miami native, Trayvon Martin, 17, unarmed; shot dead by George Zimmerman, a white American.

Jun 16, 2013 – Cab driver, Orji Ama Uro was fatally stabbed in the eye with an umbrella after dropping off a man and woman in Brooklyn.

Ikpomwosa ‘Adams,’ a young Nigerian was found dead on September 21 2001 in the River Thames badly chopped.

Nigerian Student, Boniface unduly arrested and murdered in the UK – Her Majesty Prison, Durham on the 24th of March, 2013.

Nigerian cab driver, Solomon James Okoro, was shot dead in Washington DC by armed robbers,

Olawale Oladimeji Oladipo was killed a few weeks ago in Grandview, Missouri. …and the list goes on.

Someone once asked me a question that forced my mind to deeply reflect on my residence here in U.K; and believe me, I have thought long and hard about this matter. Do I move back to Nigeria where there are 160 million black people who look alike and would not be stigmatized or racially profiled; what are the chances I, or members of my immediate family would not end up as the victims mentioned above (and many more in their unfortunate category); what are the odds that I would not be a target from one drunken, silly white boy whose father owns a licensed gun and is legally permitted to ‘protect’ himself or my daughter knifed to death in the London subways just because she is black?

Questions, and more questions. But do I have a better alternative in my fatherland, would I be allowed to integrate into the society as I wish; would my fundamental human rights be respected and upheld; would the society support me to fulfil my dreams and aspirations to the best of my ability; would my child be given the best education available anywhere to achieve lofty heights and be a leader among her peers or contribute to the advancement of humanity?

I have pondered over these questions millions of times just as I am sure hundreds of thousands of Nigerians in the diaspora do every day – whether in recession-threatened USA or austerity-hit Europe, or even a racially divided U.K. for that matter, are we of the diaspora willing to go back home?

It was Marcus Garvey that campaigned vigorously in the 40’s and 50’s for black Africans to go back home; it was a serious movement back then in the USA. Repatriation, Integration, Deportation, Relocation, Resettlement, or whatever name you call it, would it be wise to pack my baggage and say goodbye to the Queen’s land? And with the latest deft move of the UK government to reduce immigrants, legal or illegal, I guess they are saying time is about up for black people and other such races. That assertion might be hard to swallow, but reading between the lines of their new ‘Visa Bond program,’ ‘Free Flight Home program,’ etc., it is as clear as day.

My Nigeria, great nation, good people! My country has produced some of the greatest men and women in almost every sphere of life. We are indeed a blessed people. Culturally and religiously diverse but uniquely bonded together. Even Lord Luggard would not have hoped for this much success when he proclaimed the amalgamation of the Northern and Southern Protectorates way back in 1914. With a robust and fertile soil that can grow almost anything anywhere, good weather all year round, enviable array of food and cultural norms, great rivers and springs, brilliant human beings, and a wide range of abundant natural resources including huge oil and gas reserves, and the likes, Nigeria doesn’t have any business with poverty or backwardness. We are so blessed, so much so that right from the desert plains of Sokoto to the mountainous trails of Yola, to the forest belts in Cross River, the rivers and tributaries of Warri, the bustling city centres of Lagos and Ibadan; Nigeria is indeed specially chosen by God to lead.

But that is exactly where the problem lies – leadership. It is sad to know that after 52 years of self-rule as a nation, my country cannot produce 5,000 megawatts of electricity for a country of over 160 million people; we still import almost all our household and commercial fuel needs even though we are the 6th largest exporter of crude oil. What an irony! Even simple things like election and census are greatly manipulated through tribal and religious fault lines. Corruption is like a cloak in which the nation is clothed; public officers who are well known by the public to steal the coffers dry and leave the country in huge debt get away scot-free, and yet they go on to build humongous mansions in their villages, get national honors, chieftaincy titles, and religious accolades. An average Nigerian has suffered so much that he would rather cheat and steal in his youthful years to ensure he survives than work hard in honesty and enjoy his latter days.

Education has fallen to the lowest level since independence. Little wonder erudite scholar and poet, Professor Wole Soyinka lamented that “this generation has failed.” The failure is so deeply ingrained and endemic, it is so evident in every sector, yet none underscores it better than the dilapidated primary schools, the valueless secondary schools, and the cult-ridden tertiary institutions – everything has decayed to the worst level. Gone are the days when Nigeria produced great men and women of knowledge that contributed incredibly well to all facets of human endeavors; when Nigerian tertiary institutions were home to citizens of other African countries and beyond.

And so I was asked if I would ever move back to Nigeria from the UK. My answer, an emphatic NO! Do not mistake it; this is not about patriotism or loyalty – I am as patriotic and loyal to my homeland as may be required. This is about survival, sheer human instincts. What future would I have for myself or daughter considering all the ugliness going on back home, how would I manage to earn a living in a society where almost 90% of the people my age live below £1 daily and yet are relied upon as political and religious thugs to disrupt electioneering activities, coerced to make ends meet by any means necessary?

I would go back to Nigeria on the next flight if my security is guaranteed; if I am free to live in any part of the country and raise my kid as I well please; if I would not be a victim of kidnappers, armed robbers, or ritual ‘experts’; if Boko Haram would not bomb the church where I am worshipping on a quiet Sunday or the school where my daughter is ‘learning’ ABC on a Monday. I would gladly return home when my security is guaranteed.

I would go back home when my fundamental human rights would be protected; when I can freely associate in any way I please; when my choice for a male or female partner is respected; when a small girl of 12 years old is not allowed to marry a man of 65 years just because he is rich or he claims his religion allows it. I would go back when laws are passed to protect my rights and when passed, they are respected by people of the law and the whole society.

I would go back when the healthcare system improves; when I do not need to use all my savings to fly to the UK or India to treat simple ailments just because my country does not have the facilities and expertise to cure me. I would go back to Nigeria when my wife would be certain of having her baby born in a sanitized and properly functional hospital with the right number and quality of staff and power to run the theater; when my child would not die of treatable ailments or contract life-threatening diseases because of the doctor’s negligence, quackery, and incompetence.

I would go back to Nigeria when I am sure that I can turn on the switch and light would appear in the bulb at any time I want; when I can utilize electricity to make my life more meaningful and worthwhile; when I do not need to quarrel with my neighbor because his power generating set churns out chimney-thick smoke enough to puncture the ozone layer or is too noisy that my child and I have to keep vigil each night because we can’t sleep; when I can use an electric boiler to heat water in the harmattan cold and rely on the fridge to give me cold drinks and ice during the hot dry season.

I would gladly go back to Nigeria when I am sure that the crater-like potholes on the roads would not brake my shaft or puncture my tire and cause me to die in a ghastly motor accident at this prime age; when I am sure that the next plane about to take me and my family to my hometown would not drop from the sky because it was badly maintained or the pilot is inadequately trained; when I do not need to sit in long traffic jams because the roads are dilapidated, too narrow, and still, there are no trains or water transport systems as alternatives.

I would persuade my family to go back to Nigeria when I am sure that the judiciary is upright and less corrupt; when the same laws that restricts the poor man is also there to caution the rich; when laws are passed for the generality of the society and long term based instead of the ego of a few gluttons in power who want to squander everything today; when the corrupt politician or administrator can be looked in the face and brought to justice as a deterrent to others like him or her.

Nigeria would be my next destination when I am sure that my education and expertise would land me a good and rewarding job and I would not need to rely on one godfather or the other to get employment; when I am certain that my kid would graduate from college and get employment based on merit and not quota system and tribalism or nepotism; when the bread on my table can be guaranteed through hard work and ingenuity.

I shall go back to Nigeria when there is a social security net that can cushion any eventualities; when I can be sure that my contribution to the pensions fund would not be squandered by a few people shielded by politicians in high places; when I can retire well and enjoy life in my old age after diligently serving my country; when the police is truly my friend and would not ‘accidentally’ shoot my wife in the back because she looks like a suspect on the run.

I would go back to Nigeria when political bickering and the raw desire for power at all cost is minimized; when public office is used to better the lives of all the citizenry and not the politician’s immediate family; when tribal and religious sentiments would not be a basis for choosing elected representatives but wise judgment based on integrity, character, and past records are used as yardsticks to vote and be voted for.

Nigeria is my root, that I cannot deny, but so long as there are no basic amenities and provisions like pipe borne water, functional schools, dependable healthcare delivery system, justice and equality in the system, favorable conditions to achieve my big dreams and lofty aspirations, stable electricity to enhance my possibilities, and a truly committed and ideas-driven leadership in place, I shall stay put in the UK. At least almost all of the above mentioned are guaranteed, albeit racially defined.

There are very many problems facing the Nigerian in diaspora; racism, poor job opportunities; unequal access to justice; stigmatization; uneasy access to the common wealth; educational barriers; and many other such challenges. The question then is: would I rather stay put and endure all this ‘suffering’ in another man’s land where they see me as an intruder and an unwelcomed guest usurping their space and unnecessarily tapping from their scarce resources or go back to my homeland where I do not need to carry a passport everywhere I go; where I can aspire to be anything I want? I dare say, and unfortunately so, that I would gladly choose the former; I would gladly stay put in a society where my life and that of my family is secured – albeit not 100%; where the system works; where I can use my talents and expertise to make a living for myself and my family; where there is regular and sustained peace and progress.

Nigeria is my country, my fatherland; but the UK is my residence. Before I die someday, I would surely take a trip with my family to see my country, breathe the air, and visit beautiful places. But that’s about it. Until the leaders in my country put their acts together, I do not think I would leave the UK for Nigeria on a permanent basis.

http://247latestnewsupdate.com/must-read-why-i-will-never-move-to-nigeria/

4 Likes

Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by Jccy(f): 6:28am On Aug 15, 2013
Op,wats d meanin of dz n@nsence? Watn cncern us

1 Like

Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:31am On Aug 15, 2013
hmmmm..........interesting!!!
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by Godson201333(m): 7:00am On Aug 15, 2013
Na Una sabi grin grin grin grin
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by Tsmooth1(m): 7:08am On Aug 15, 2013
This our OP na oyinbo, see English. Make I read am finish b4 I comment...
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by omicron(m): 7:31am On Aug 15, 2013
It depends on how you see it. I think the view of the writer is a myopic and self-centered one. Unfortunately too, most of what he has written is true about our country. Sad.

However it has also been about "himself and his family". There is not even a tiny part of your brain that considered what you could do for Nigeria.

Yet, it's your life and no one has a right to tell you how to live it, or where to live it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"I was leaving Yale a few days ago, and a kind lady offered to drop me at the train station. On finding out that I was Nigerian, she quizzed “Do you ever want to become an American?” I looked at her, shocked, and replied “No”, a bit too forcefully considering I was getting a free ride.

You do not see what I see. Maybe in 1980 I would have wanted to be born American. Today, Now, I would rather be Nigerian. Not because it is the greatest country in Africa or on earth. Far from it…Rather, because of what we could be. I am yet to see another country so well positioned to lead continental transformation. -America already has it heroes, has peaked, and is in a rather bad place right now.

I dream of an African alliance: Nigeria, Angola and South Africa, leading negotiation for a continent into the global marketplace tied to investments in the wellbeing of people that live in Black Africa. I want to be part of that change. Why then would I want to be American? America was what we could become. "- Dr Chukwuma, A.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above quote was from a young Nigerian lady on Scholarship in Diaspora. It is easy to see the practical difference in the perspective from which she sees the OP's situation. While acknowledging that all is not yet well with Nigeria, she sees that, along with the further education and exposure she is getting from the US, as an investment to be useful for the development of her own country.

The difference is that she has taken a less myopic and egoistic view of the situation. She took a global view.

Like I said earlier, it is your respective views and no one has a right to dictate for another.

But as a Nigerian resident In Nigeria, if the people in Diaspora are any important to Nigeria, it is certainly not the group with whom the OP belongs. Nigeria do not need you and your like!

We need people like Dr Chukwuma, A.

5 Likes

Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by lomprico(m): 7:36am On Aug 15, 2013
60 killed in mosque attack, 12yr old burnt alive,police allow 2 to be burnt alive, 80+ killed in kano bombing,bh killed hundreds in chritmas bombing, aluu 4 killing, the list goes on and on and don't Seams like stopping anytime soon. All these happend in naija, when I get d oportunity, I'll get d hell outta this gaddame county!

2 Likes

Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by Ajibam: 7:37am On Aug 15, 2013
**singn**If at al u dey ask me...na who I go ask??
Well...sha bring ur daughter home 4 us to marry her!!grin
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by Lucasbalo(m): 3:11pm On Aug 15, 2013
Wow, very interesting.
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 7:57am On Aug 20, 2013
We can only hope for a better Nigeria however, indices and happenings makes our hopes despair. The recklessness on the part of the government and citizens makes me cringe each time I think of a better Nigeria.
May God help us!

3 Likes

Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by EazyJ(f): 3:29pm On Aug 20, 2013
Abeg no blame d Op,he is totally correct!

4 Likes

Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 5:56pm On Aug 20, 2013
The Op has spoken his mind... An Igbo proverb says that it's the child that raises up his hand that will be carried. As it stands, many Nigerians are not ready for development.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by tosnat: 10:38pm On Aug 20, 2013
"I would go back home when my fundamental human rights would be protected; when I can freely associate in any way I please; when my choice for a male or female partner is respected.........."[b][]

I stopped reading at this point......

2 Likes

Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by saipn: 9:19am On Aug 21, 2013
Hmmmm @op u r 100 percent right but if u are waiting for all dis before u can come to naija,am afraid the reverse is d case because nigeria is not ready for change in the next 50 years.pls my advice for u is to visit nigeria ones in a blue moon but don't stay permanently.enjoy ur stay in UK

3 Likes

Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 7:22am On Jan 04, 2015
any African who does not go back to his homeland at some point is traitor,period. esp the ones with sound knowledge in important dfields(sicence, engineering,mechanics, economics etc), the primary goals of every human is to improve his homeland, only Africans believe in doing it from abroad ..while having a disapora is good in some ways. a foreign land should never take over your homeland in your heart

3 Likes

Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by wierdpsycho: 8:46am On Jan 04, 2015
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
any African who does not go back to his homeland at some point is traitor,period. esp the ones with sound knowledge in important dfields(sicence, engineering,mechanics, economics etc), the primary goals of every human is to improve his homeland, only Africans believe in doing it from abroad ..while having a disapora is good in some ways. a foreign land should never take over your homeland in your heart
Spoken Like a wise sage.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by ohachirieze(m): 9:48am On Jan 04, 2015
@op think carefully before you write your jargon. How old was Uk before they had steady electrity, good health care,fundamental human rights etc? We have corrupt leaders YES. If Uk citizens had your type of reasoning and ran away from their country during their harsh times,would they have come up this good for you to relocate there and start blabbing. No one is asking you back home coz you are irrelevant with your big vocabs. (You right of partner my foot). Its high time you stopped eating excess day old chicken and think of what you will do for your root to be a befitting home for your daughter.
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by holyboss: 2:26pm On Jan 04, 2015
undecided undecided
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by EMEzzy(m): 1:03am On Mar 27, 2015
Raiders:
Chronicle:

http://247latestnewsupdate.com/must-read-why-i-will-never-move-to-nigeria/
Hey,was going through your profile and i saw this topic,mind a chat on here?
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by Raiders: 3:04am On Mar 27, 2015
EMEzzy:
Hey,was going through your profile and i saw this topic,mind a chat on here?
sure. I love Nigeria and I am going to move back to Nigeria one day when things improve in the country.
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by 19naia(m): 6:15am On Mar 27, 2015
Right from the inception of Nigeria as an Independent Nation, it has had leadership that were educated in europe, and influences from more developed countries... The microcosm of a developed nation was seeded in Nigeria even in 1960, and the microcosm of western leadership models were seeded within Nigeria's indigenous leadership...

If that seed of doctors/professors educated in prestigious schools of europe, with doctorates and the support and influence of England by Nigerias side, If that seed has failed to yeild or is yielding diseased fruit, How is any new flow of Doctorate acheivers going to make a difference today?
Trying the same old thing of bringing in Akata experience to make Nigeria the dream of its people.. It has been the same old result with just growth but no real quality to add..
Something different has to be done... Nigeria has an internal selfishness problem of "every man for himself ".. The OP abroad, thinking of self ,is a bit different than the people in Nigeria at the root of Nigerias problem.. Thinking of themselves.. All the problems OP listed, are rooted in a nation of users and abusers thinking only of themselves, and it spreads like a contagion.. Look at the rate of division in the country as a collective of states.. My home state once was from The ocean shores of ondo state to the very far reaches of Ekiti North, with Akure as its center and my home town... Now it is two states trying to be away from each other to themselves... There is always Talk of Nigeria splitting into separate nations, so that each separated group can just think only of themselves and not the other... How many states have divided in Nigeria over the issue of wanting to be just for themselves?

How many politicians enter office with more official earnings than any wealthy nation on earth? While the people still rank as the lowest earners on earth on average? All looking out for themselves.. Elections are violent because of people only concerned about what they want for themselves even if another must die to make room... Religious leaders raking in money and also often caught in much fraud and other crimes such as violence to include killing(just search Nairaland topics for what i mean).. Religious leaders looking out for themselves with world record wealth while the nation ranks among the lowest world minimum wages...

Cultist and kidnappers born out of a nation of people well bred in the contagion of every man for himself no matter who has to die to make room for the other.. And so it is they kidnap and slaughter people over fetish and superstition that they may make gains in their life's prosperity if anothr person should die in horror... It doesnt get more selfish than that... When it gets that bad as it is, there is no light to shine upon OP's point of view that makes it look like OP is just looking out for self.. The opposite is true, OP is simply useing the opportunity to save self from a place bred in the usury and waste of humans as a means to take for itself...

Bring in doctors from wherever, bring in whatever developments from wherever, strive to be like whatever place you admire in the world.. The truth is that Nigerias problem is in its subculture at the very core of its people even the leadership... It is deadly powerful and viscious with very little mercy(just see Nigerias human rights rating globally, to see what i mean)...
Nigeria has the facilities for eveything it dreams and hopes for, already it has all that in place, it has all the right kind of eductaed minds as well as resources.. It is all damned by the subculture that permeates from the top leadership to the rowdy streets of poor people and "area boys"..
Nigerias solution is to look inward and point the finger at itself and see the gross selfishness it has bred within itself as a subculture.. Has OP ever sacrificed a random human man/woman/child for his own slefish well being? Nigeria does that among its people.. Has OP every held political office in Nigeria and collected the highest wages among politicians anywhere on earth, while the common people earned among the lowest wages on earth? Nigerian politicians do as if it is water running under a bridge...
Has OP ever run over and killed a man in the streets and selfishly left the body there to waste? Nigeria has among its people..
I beg, nigerias problem is a subculture of serious selfishness that ranks among the highest on earth, directly porpotional to the earnings of its executive leaders..
Has OP ever run the streets with rancorous area boys to extort the poorest of the poor in the nation as well as the world? Nigeria has. Only vultures and hyenas feed off the earnings of the weakest in the food chain, making life harder for those who have it the hardest already...

Stop being decieved by the over~culture of positive talk and face the reality of the subculture in covert and overt action in the land among the people... Many good people in Nigeria who sacrifice much to see it a better place, my family there has done that, with no wealth to show for it and even their efforts done under extreme suffering even after bringing education from USA to contirbute... Many face the reality that they were lucky to make it out alive, and if dying for your country as an unknown nobody as meat on the slab of a selfish person who only cares about self ,and having no substance of your devotion change the country nor make a lasting difference in one town alone, if that is a worthy cause, then i can think of many places and things that far exceed the virtue of that..

Ask what OP has in fact contributed to Nigeria, then ask Nigeria if it is honest enough, non corupt enough to admit what waste it laid to OP's contirbution to Nigeria.. Maybe then the right track will begin to advance for Nigeria.. The selfishness of Nigerias subculture will eat anyone and everything up, no matter what good intentions brought along.. It will even eat Nigeria itslef up.. The only hope for Nigeria is in Taking honest inventory of Nigerias subculture of vicsious selfishness.. Infact that goes for all of humanity in any part of the world, remember OP opened with lines stating honestly the visciously selfish acts in UK and USA... I beg Nigerians, be honest and accountable to the subculture of your own vicsiously selfish ways that hold you back... Then you will start to rise above that weighty anchor in the dark depths...

As for me, i was lucky to make it out of Nigeria alive, yet i retain affinity and respect for people of Nigeria who have good hearts yet suffer for it...

1 Like

Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by Moana(f): 8:51am On Mar 27, 2015
How does this reduce the price of agege bread? grin angry
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by LoveNaturally(f): 2:08pm On Mar 28, 2015
Serious thinking times for all black people at home and abroad. So many of us have this big question....where should I live to make the best life?

Nigeria, Haiti and my hometown of Detroit have something in common....lots of black people on prime land where there is a corrupt government and high unemployment. Worst of all...the international spotlight is not so good.

I moved to Detroit after traveling the USA and living in a few other countries... I now operate a small hostel....very low rates in the city. Its a very exciting place when you know the right people. I hear all the bad news about Nigeria and corruption and I still want to visit. Why? Because the media dogs out my Motown....and I know the truth. There are more land and property owners that are black people in Detroit ...and those voting rights can make some changes over night.

okay...no mo ranting. Down to earth person with hostel to rent...connect...respond if interested.
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by Nicklaus(m): 10:59pm On Mar 28, 2015
It sounds more to me like why you need to move to Nigeria. Well, if you ll take this as an advice. Just don't come without feeding your pocket. Du :p uH
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by shollyboy2: 12:04am On Mar 29, 2015
Now that i am back at home sitting from queuing for many hours to cast my vote today, you now expect em to sit and read this.. wetin concern me if you come back to Naija??
Re: Why I Will Never Move To Nigeria by bebe2(f): 12:25am On Mar 29, 2015
seconded,

i just came back from naija a week ago,

after much thot , i said to myself, in my later age i might come back home,

BUT, i cud never visit such misery on my children.

dats my opinion and am entitled to it.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Students In Turkey How Do U Survive / Video: White Man Speaks Correct Pidgin English, Shocks Nigerians On Plane / 6 Reasons Why You Are Denied A U.S. Student Visa In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.