Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,532 members, 7,823,315 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered (23453 Views)

Human-like Species Discovered In South Africa (Photos) / Dozens Of Dinosaur Eggs Discovered By Construction Workers In Heyuan, China / New Feather Dinosaurs Discovered In China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by ciphoenix: 4:55pm On Aug 15, 2013

Scientists in the US have discovered a new animal living in the cloud forests of Colombia and Ecuador.

It has been named olinguito and is the first new species of carnivore to be identified in the Western hemisphere in 35 years.

It has taken more than a decade to identify the mammal, a discovery that scientists say is incredibly rare in the 21st Century.

The credit goes to a team from the Smithsonian Institution.

The trail began when zoologist Kristofer Helgen uncovered some bones and animal skins in storage at a museum in Chicago.

"It stopped me in my tracks," he told BBC News. "The skins were a rich red colour and when I looked at the skulls I didn't recognise the anatomy. It was different to any similar animal I'd seen, and right away I thought it could be a species new to science."

Dr Helgen is curator of mammals at the National Museum of Natural History in Washington DC, which houses the largest mammal collection in the world.

More than 600,000 specimens are flat-packed in trays to save space, their bones picked clean by specially bred beetles and stored in boxes alongside their skins.

Many were collected more than a century ago and were often mislabelled or not properly identified. But recent advances in technology have enabled scientists to extract DNA from even the oldest remains.

The 35cm-long (14in) olinguito is the latest addition to the animal family that includes racoons. By comparing DNA samples with the other five known species, Dr Helgen was able to confirm his discovery.

"It's hard for me to explain how excited I am," he says.

"The olinguito is a carnivore - that group of mammals that includes cats, dogs and bears and their relatives. Many of us believed that list was complete, but this is a new carnivore - the first to be found on the American continent for more than three decades."

Dr Helgen has used such mammal collections to identify many other new species, including the world's biggest bat and the world's smallest bandicoot. But he says the olinguito is his most significant discovery. Its scientific name is Bassaricyon neblina. The last carnivore to be identified in the Americas was the Colombian Weasel.

But even after identifying the olinguito, a crucial question remained: could they be living in the wild?

"We used clues from the specimens about where they might have come from and to predict what kind of forest we might find them in.... (continues http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23701151 )

Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Nobody: 6:54pm On Aug 15, 2013
Na lie. This has been in my village since, always jumping the well and dancing

We call it Ariri

5 Likes

Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by opestein: 7:09pm On Aug 15, 2013
joeydozzy: Na lie. This has been in my village since, always jumping the well and dancing

We call it Ariri
in Yoruba we call it katope

3 Likes

Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by ciphoenix: 8:23pm On Aug 15, 2013
joeydozzy: Na lie. This has been in my village since, always jumping the well and dancing

We call it Ariri

grin hehehe
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 15, 2013

We call it Ariri
opestein:
I want to believe the both of you are joking.
else, this is an indictment on our local anthropologists and biologists!
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by ninja4life(m): 9:58am On Aug 16, 2013
opestein:
lol in bini we call am ediru u get am,lmao
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by ninja4life(m): 9:58am On Aug 16, 2013
opestein:
lol in edo we call am ediru u get am,lmao
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by ciphoenix: 1:38pm On Aug 16, 2013
careytommy:

Our local biologists? Those guys are sleeping. Though I doubt they're the same animal.
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 16, 2013
IN HAUSA WE CALL IT GEGEI
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 16, 2013
Balotelli's next pet.

2 Likes

Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by MrAboki: 4:45pm On Aug 16, 2013
Haba!!

But this is what my Igbo Friends call 'obele Nchi' na..

Very sweet for peppersoup and Ngwo-ngwo..

9 Likes

Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by passionate88: 4:46pm On Aug 16, 2013
Many animals dey sef wey we never discover (we as in man o)
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Joe50(m): 4:47pm On Aug 16, 2013
where is d endtime pple lipsrsealed

Crowds Watch as Man Electrocute Himself
http://world-newspapper..com/2013/08/crowds-watch-man-electrocute-himself.html
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 16, 2013

We call it Ariri
lol!
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 16, 2013
it looks like sexkillz

5 Likes

careytommy:

Well, it wouldn't be an indictment.

You wont believe it, but many fauna and flora in Western Africa haven't been identified. They are sent to Kew in England or the Herbarium in Switzerland, where they are studied for years. Sometimes, the finders outlive this study, and one random person takes the glory. That's why we don't bother anymore.

An example was when Camwood, Osun in Yoruba language, was found in Nigeria. It was named here first, having met all the requirements. 35 years running, Kew wont release a name!

1 Like

Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by nerodenero: 4:48pm On Aug 16, 2013

We call it Ariri
Maybe of same semblance.
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 16, 2013
it obviously originated from Nigeria

but there is one newer specie in aso rock I don't know his/its name but I discovered it'wz nicknamed retardedeen??
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by phil5(m): 4:49pm On Aug 16, 2013
HmmmMmmmmm

Not new ,just newly discverd
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by dplomaticVal: 4:49pm On Aug 16, 2013
that animal looks harmless bt it s vry dangerous
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Henryedom: 4:49pm On Aug 16, 2013
In calabar we call it ekpeyinkoo grin
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by TeeSeven(m): 4:50pm On Aug 16, 2013
Is it not interesting that new species are still being discovered? The question now is, who knows how many more new species are still yet to be discovered.
This just goes to show that God is still greater than man!

1 Like

Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by lobito94(m): 4:51pm On Aug 16, 2013
HAVE YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO MAKE MONEY OUT OF YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT BUT DON'T KNOW HOW? WELL, THE SOLUTION IS FINALLY HERE.

Visit Facebook.com/jcmconsultz for more info.
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Johnnyhoo(m): 4:52pm On Aug 16, 2013
ds tin don dey my backyard tey tey
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by petipeti: 4:53pm On Aug 16, 2013
In Igbo land, we call it ikiri. If It holds a tree, nothing removes its hand unless u shines torchlight on it.

1 Like

Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Kslib(m): 4:53pm On Aug 16, 2013
Ah han,in Portuguese we call it Olinguitotonus

1 Like

Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 16, 2013
grin na Igbo man name this thing jor
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by boofydon: 4:55pm On Aug 16, 2013
How does this add to me becoming the Undefeated Champion of Capua undecided

1 Like

Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 16, 2013
And i wonder if this was also part of d animals in Noah's ark

1 Like

Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by Ajibam: 5:00pm On Aug 16, 2013
NOTED!!!
Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by delors(m): 5:00pm On Aug 16, 2013
Is this not 'emo' as the Ijebus would call it?

Hmm, as forest and bush plenty reach for Nigeria, our own zoologists and scientists never discover anything new since my great grand father discovered bush baby centuries ago cry. Instead of taking the new discoveries to the zoo or museum, na shoot my people go shoot am...soup don land be that.

Our zoologists are hunters grin grin

4 Likes

Re: The Olinguito - A New Carnivorous Mammalian Specie Discovered by delors(m): 5:03pm On Aug 16, 2013
boofydon: How does this add to me becoming the Undefeated Champion of Capua undecided
Even Crixus was eventually beheaded by the son of a Roman General...so let us celebrate the discovery of this Alingo (abi na wetin be that thing name self? oh ok, na olinguito)...

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Free Invitations to GMail, Orkut and Yahoo 360 are available / Adebayo Alonge Wins DeepTech Global Challenge, Cries / First U.S Moon Landing Mission In 50 Yrs Suffers Failure & Technical Issue (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.