Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,528 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals (910 Views)

ALL Pentecostals Should Read This / Why Do Pentecostals Reject Catholic Baptism / Household Of God Pastor, Rev. Kris Okotie Separates from His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by elampiro(m): 7:22am On Aug 17, 2013
8 CATHOLIC TEACHINGS FROM THE BIBLE THAT SEPARATES IT FROM PROTESTANTS/ PENTECOSTAL.

1. Matthew 16:18-19 / Isaiah 22:22 (Authority)
2. 1 Timothy 3:15 (Authority)
3. 2 Thessalonians 2:15 (Tradition)
4. 1 Peter 3:21 (Baptism)
5. John 20:23 (Confession)
6. John 6:53-58, 66-67 (Eucharist)
7. 1 Corinthians 11:23-29(Eucharist)
8. James 5:14-15 (Anointing)
9. Colossians 1:24 (Suffering)
10. James 2:17- 26 (Works)
The details of the bible verses are below.

(1) AUTHORITY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH.
Matthew 16:18-19
18 “And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Isaiah 22:22
I will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David; what he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open

(2) TRADITION

2 Thessalonians 2:15
15 “So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you,whether by word of mouth or by letter.”
…...Commentary: Only the Catholic church dates back to the apostle: hence it is the only church that can teach tradition.

(3) Baptism
1 Peter 3:21

21 “and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ”

(4) Confession
John 20:23

23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

(5) Eucharist
John 6:53-58

53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent meand I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”
John 6:66-67

66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.
67 “You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.
1 Corinthians 11:23-29
23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying,“This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat eat and drink judgment on themselves.

(6) ANNOINTING
James 5:14-15

14 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.

(7) SUFFERING
Colossians 1:24
Paul's Work as a Servant of the Church
24 And now I am happy about my sufferings for you, for by means of my physical sufferings I am helping to complete what still remains of Christ's sufferings on behalf of his body, the church.

(cool WORKS
James 2:17-26
17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[a]? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”[b] and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.
25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

1 Like

Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by Ajibam: 7:40am On Aug 17, 2013
NOTED
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by tonnieblaise(m): 7:45am On Aug 17, 2013
very true

Seconded
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by k2039: 8:27am On Aug 17, 2013
Isaiah 22:22
I will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David; what he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open
This verse was talking about Jesus not Peter o.
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by ayobase(m): 8:41am On Aug 17, 2013
Unless u wanna explain further, I don't see these doctrines as explained here being different from the Pentecostal's.

U wanna throw more light on how they are being done differently?
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by ayobase(m): 8:49am On Aug 17, 2013
k2039: This verse was talking about Jesus not Peter o.

They know this. They must be kidding me if Peter!
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by elampiro(m): 9:07am On Aug 17, 2013
ayobase: Unless u wanna explain further, I don't see these doctrines as explained here being different from the Pentecostal's.

U wanna throw more light on how they are being done differently?

The Catholics will understand it better. The pentencostals/protestants only accept a few on denomination basis, but collectively they attack all the doctrines.

Take for instance, confession, they criticise catholics for confessing to God via the priest. But the bible gives the priests such authority.

Some pentecostal denominations attack the water baptism, saying it must be done in a river.

Only the Catholic church have the Eucharist and only church even so empowered. The bread and wine once consecrated by the priest becomes the body and blood. But the protestant said their bread and wine is a symbol. In the catholic church there are lots of Eucharistic miracles. The consecrated bread and wine by the priest are the true body and blood of Christ. You have to pay same respect, reverence, adoration and worship as if you were with Christ Himself. You have to be without sins.

Tradition: if you agree with tradition, why do petencostals usually ask 'where is it in the bible?'.

Suffering: Many pentecostals see every suffering as something of evil that must be casted out and bind. They say Jesus has paid the price, therefore it is now all about prosperity and merriment. If you are poor or suffering, it is because you have not got the connection to God- says the MOG these days. But the gospel has it that the apostles and suffered and were killed, even history told us same about early christians. They abandoned all for the gospel, but today the reverse is the case. People see the gospel as a means to accumulate all, greed is taught.

Works: Many early protestants and even these times believe by just giving your life to Christ- born again- one is saved. But the Catholic church is saying you must obey and observe the commandments. It is not just about 'when you take Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour'.
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by ayobase(m): 1:45pm On Aug 17, 2013
elampiro:

The Catholics will understand it better. The pentencostals/protestants only accept a few on denomination basis, but collectively they attack all the doctrines.

Take for instance, confession, they criticise catholics for confessing to God via the priest. But the bible gives the priests such authority.

Some pentecostal denominations attack the water baptism, saying it must be done in a river.

Only the Catholic church have the Eucharist and only church even so empowered. The bread and wine once consecrated by the priest becomes the body and blood. But the protestant said their bread and wine is a symbol. In the catholic church there are lots of Eucharistic miracles. The consecrated bread and wine by the priest are the true body and blood of Christ. You have to pay same respect, reverence, adoration and worship as if you were with Christ Himself. You have to be without sins.

Tradition: if you agree with tradition, why do petencostals usually ask 'where is it in the bible?'.

Suffering: Many pentecostals see every suffering as something of evil that must be casted out and bind. They say Jesus has paid the price, therefore it is now all about prosperity and merriment. If you are poor or suffering, it is because you have not got the connection to God- says the MOG these days. But the gospel has it that the apostles and suffered and were killed, even history told us same about early christians. They abandoned all for the gospel, but today the reverse is the case. People see the gospel as a means to accumulate all, greed is taught.

Works: Many early protestants and even these times believe by just giving you life to Christ- born again- one is saved. But the Catholic church is saying you must obey and observe the commandments. It is not just about 'when you take Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour'.

Thanks for expatiating.
Yes, Catholic and pentecostal agreed on all the points noted, but procedures differ.

Bible said confess your sin to one another, it didn't say what u meant there. And its not wrong to confess to the priest, but the problem now is that people have turned the priest in God. They can't even seek for forgiveness from God, but the priests.

Not every every confession should go to the priest. The priests should teach them how to seek God for confession.

Water baptism, I haven't seen anywhere in the Bible where one was baptised via sprinkling of water. Jesus, the perfect example was immersed.

Pentecostal also don't joke with Holy Communion...its also the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.

Which one again.........
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 17, 2013
true!
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by elampiro(m): 2:59pm On Aug 17, 2013
ayobase:

Thanks for expatiating.
Yes, Catholic and pentecostal agreed on all the points noted, but procedures differ.

Bible said confess your sin to one another, it didn't say what u meant there. And its not wrong to confess to the priest, but the problem now is that people have turned the priest in God. They can't even seek for forgiveness from God, but the priests.

Not every every confession should go to the priest. The priests should teach them how to seek God for confession.

Water baptism, I haven't seen anywhere in the Bible where one was baptised via sprinkling of water. Jesus, the perfect example was immersed.

Pentecostal also don't joke with Holy Communion...its also the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.

Which one again.........

You said procedures differ. I think the pentecostals created alternatives which are not exactly the same and which most often looks invalid.

1. Confession. Jesus empowered the apostles to forgive sins. He didn't at in time tell his general followers to forgive sins of one another. Only the apostles were so empowered or authorised. Jesus has told the Church whatever you bind and loose o earth is approved in heaven, he also gave the priests the power to forgive or retain sins. So if the Church from the early ages has said everyone must go to the priests, who are you to now dispute it. Are you disputing the authority given to the Church and priests by our Lord Jesus Christ?

2. Can you count how many times in the bible baptism was done in the river? The bible says baptized with water, it didn't instruct baptized in river or by immersion.

3. Which Penecostal denomination teach this? In any way, they aren't even so authorised to to do this consecration.
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by DEGREE2466(m): 4:52pm On Aug 17, 2013
1. Most of the protestants' pastors are not anointed by any body but by themselves of which you dont know whether they have the power to confer sacrament.

2. Protestants started as a result of disagreement with the teachings and doctrines of the catholic church.

3. If you are to confess your sin to anybody how can you be sure that it would be kept secret as priests are sworn by oath to conceal any sin confessed to them by the members.

4. What is the difference between entering into the river and taking the water out with a container?

5. Still to bring more facts but this need to get to the appropriate quarter MODs

1 Like

Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by iamswizz(m): 5:11pm On Aug 17, 2013
elampiro:

Works: Many early protestants and even these times believe by just giving your life to Christ- born again- one is saved. But the Catholic church is saying you must obey and observe the commandments. It is not just about 'when you take Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour'.
na wa oo.. So if i convert to christianity, my suffering begins? Well, no thanks, im not interested.
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by italo: 5:30pm On Aug 17, 2013
ayobase:

They know this. They must be kidding me if Peter!

The verse is talking about Peter.

Eliakim, son of Hilkiah, was master of the palace, the prime minister in the Davidic kingdom. (Isa 22:15,20)
Simon Peter, son of Jonah, is always first in lists of Jesus’ Apostles—while Judas is listed last. (Matt 16:17, Matt 10:2, Mark 3:16. Luke 6:14, Acts 1:13)

Eliakim’s predecessor, Shebna, had hewn a tomb in a great rock which he hoped would be a lasting a resting place. (Isa 22:16)
Simon Peter is declared to be the “rock” (“Petros”) upon which Jesus will build his Church. (Matt 16:18)

Eliakim was clothed with a robe and girded with a sash. (Isa 22:21)
Peter stretches out his hands to be dressed by another. (John 21:18)

Eliakim was “a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and to the house of Judah.” (Isa 22:21)
Peter is the pope (“papa” or “Holy Father”) to the Church on earth.

Eliakim was given authority, “the key of the House of David.” (Isa 22:22)
Peter is given “the keys to the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt 16:19)

The Lord said of Eliakim, “What he opens, no one will shut, what he shuts, no one will open.” (Isa 22:22)
Jesus says to Peter, “Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” (Matt 16:19)
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by ayobase(m): 5:59pm On Aug 17, 2013
italo:

Eliakim, son of Hilkiah, was master of the palace, the prime minister in the Davidic kingdom. (Isa 22:15,20)
Simon Peter, son of Jonah, is always first in lists of Jesus’ Apostles—while Judas is listed last. (Matt 16:17, Matt 10:2, Mark 3:16. Luke 6:14, Acts 1:13)

Eliakim’s predecessor, Shebna, had hewn a tomb in a great rock which he hoped would be a lasting a resting place. (Isa 22:16)
Simon Peter is declared to be the “rock” (“Petros”) upon which Jesus will build his Church. (Matt 16:18)

Eliakim was “a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and to the house of Judah.” (Isa 22:21)

The Lord said of Eliakim, “What he opens, no one will shut, what he shuts, no one will open.” (Isa 22:22)
Jesus says to Peter, “Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” (Matt 16:19)

Lobatan o!
Isaiah, among all Prophets talking about Peter? Who was even Peter before he met Jesus?

Jesus renamed Peter, Cephas (the rock)

Lucifer or John the baptist would have been more reasonable, but Peter. Atleast, Isaiah talked a bit about Lucifer.

This interpretation get as e be.

Peter?
Hia!

Read this,
In Mat 16:18, "this rock" is referring to Christ, the speaker, as in John 2:19; 6:58. This is "what?" Not Petros, Petra, an immovable stone, Christ Himself, the only foundation of the Church (I Cor 3:11; Isa 28:16; Ps 118:22), Peter was only one of the builders (Eph 2:20-22; 1 Peter 2:4-5; 1-cool

Na wa o....Peter don replace Jesus Christ!
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by ayobase(m): 6:37pm On Aug 17, 2013
elampiro:

You said procedures differ. I think the pentecostals created alternatives which are not exactly the same and which most often looks invalid.

1. Confession. Jesus empowered the apostles to forgive sins. He didn't at in time tell his general followers to forgive sins of one another. Only the apostles were so empowered or authorised. Jesus has told the Church whatever you bind and loose o earth is approved in heaven, he also gave the priests the power to forgive or retain sins. So if the Church from the early ages has said everyone must go to the priests, who are you to now dispute it. Are you disputing the authority given to the Church and priests by our Lord Jesus Christ?

2. Can you count how many times in the bible baptism was done in the river? The bible says baptized with water, it didn't instruct baptized in river or by immersion.

3. Which Penecostal denomination teach this? In any way, they aren't even so authorised to to do this consecration.

I thought that passage is meant for only Peter (Pope) and not the others.

This one you are saying only the priests have the power to withhold and forgive sin!

Who is the mediator between we and God?
Priests?
Pope?
Jesus?

I guess u haven't read your bible to the part that says "confess your sins to one another"

Baptising by/with water, where have u seen sprinkling of water besides immersion in the Bible.

Water baptism means being dead and resurrected with Christ. The immersion means being buried!

How does sprinkling of water mean being buried!

Its obvious we are parallel lines, arguing over this wouldn't yield any result.

Case closed brother!

God helps us all to understand his words....to see beyond the Logo. Amen!
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by elampiro(m): 9:51am On Aug 18, 2013
italo:

Excellent.
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by elampiro(m): 10:15am On Aug 18, 2013
ayobase:

I thought that passage is meant for only Peter (Pope) and not the others.

This one you are saying only the priests have the power to withhold and forgive sin!

Who is the mediator between we and God?
Priests?
Pope?
Jesus?

I guess u haven't read your bible to the part that says "confess your sins to one another"

Baptising by/with water, where have u seen sprinkling of water besides immersion in the Bible.

Water baptism means being dead and resurrected with Christ. The immersion means being buried!

How does sprinkling of water mean being buried!

Its obvious we are parallel lines, arguing over this wouldn't yield any result.

Case closed brother!

God helps us all to understand his words....to see beyond the Logo. Amen!

1. The passage is meant for Peter and the other apostles. Peter was only their head.

John 20:20-23
After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.

Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

2. When the bible said confess to one another, it didn't empower us to forgive the sins of one another. It was more like saying confess your sins (weakness) to your fellow christians so that they can pray for you to come out of such sins.

James 5:16
New International Version (NIV)
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

3. Baptism: Bible said baptized with water. Even when Jesus was baptized in the river, the passage didn't give any instruction that people should be immersed in river.

Matthew 3:13-17
The Baptism of Jesus

Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”

Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfil all righteousness.” Then John consented.

As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
Re: 8 Catholic Teachings From The Bible That Separates It From Pentecostals by calculusx(m): 10:31am On Aug 18, 2013
Front page material. I loveE-Cathechism Class on Nairaland.

(1) (Reply)

Pentecostal Pastors, God Vs. Gospel Comedians - ( Edited ) / Another Allegation Against Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo / What Is Wrong With Being A Jehovah's Witness? ~UPDATED~

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.