Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,745 members, 7,809,842 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! (5712 Views)

10 Things You Should Know About NYSC Camp(my Opinion) / Decamped From Nysc Batch C 2014 Camp: My Story / Lagos State NYSC Batch B 2014 (Stream I&II) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! by dulaman: 5:52pm On Aug 17, 2013
“Kaai!, An Tura Ka Ogun” (You have been posted to Ogun), Muh’d whom I asked to check the NYSC posting list for me said, like a Thunder Storm, my heart pounded. I pretended I didn’t hear him and asked in a stammering and cracking voice “me… me...mee…me…kkkkaaccceee?” (What did you say?) he replied “Nace an tura ka Ogun” (I said you have been posted to Ogun). In disbelief I later called another person to check it and he confirmed what Muh’d earlier said. Damn! For some minutes I was disengaged from my surrounding, and wondering if i'm dreaming or could it be an April fool? ‘’No, it can’t be April fool because we are in the month of June”, I thought. Hmm, if given the script beforehand that I would be posted to a State other than my preferred State, I would have smiled and tore it in disbelief. Ok! I settled for destiny since it has taken me there. One part of me was sad because I didn’t get my preferred State having planned programs/training/certifications I intended doing during that period, the other part of me I must confess was happy because I would be going to that part of the country for the first time as it avail me the opportunity to experience the Yoruba Culture, a culture I so much admire. Often times I do watch their movies (esp. village setting), one inclination I still don’t understand.
As the 14hrs journey began, I kept myself awake (quite unusual of me) I fed my eyes, from one village/town to another with the beautiful and densed greenish vegetations, rivers/streams, various geological land formations. I once again felt connected to nature. Indeed nature is beautiful! I arrived Shagamu Camp by 6:25pm, the security men at the gate were doing the normal check-up. While I was trying to arrange my bags for check-up, I heard a voice behind “Ehen, them tell me say you dey come right from motor park” I turned around and asked “Me?” he said “Yes” in surprise I asked again “Me? Who?” he replied “No worry, where the knife, razor.. (etc) wey you bring come” I smiled as it now dawn on me he was joking, I told him “Oga, tell them say na wrong description them give you, check my bag well well, I fit even pull clothes here for you” he then collected my school ID card and call-up letter to check, upon seeing them he yelled quietly “ehen! Haba! I talk am when I see you” Lol. Seeing that I am from the North, everyone around laughed. We exchanged pleasantries and I was allowed entry into the camp. Lo and Behold! I couldn’t believe my eyes…… the Camp…. A perfect definition for “beautiful architectural masterpiece” with beautiful landscaping,it's attached to the Gateway International Stadium. I was marveled. “Hmm, an interesting 21days is going to be. Ok! Let’s do this!” I muttered.
The first week in Camp was J.J.C like (Johnny Just Come). The Introduction to rules and swearing in ceremony, Match practice and drilling by soldiers/man o’ war. My favorite is the man o’ war drills, a very good exercise for the body, also it serve as comic relief because I couldn’t help laughing whenever the orobo’s can’t twist their body, and when they forced themselves to twist, they look funny with their body motion. I also could remember vividly during the “Slow Match” practice, the R.S.M was trying to teach a member of a platoon how to do it, but the guy was tip toeing like a midnight thief about to break into a house, the R.S.M couldn’t help but burst into laughter.
The second/third week happened to be the busiest with Skills and Entrepreneurship Development (SAED) training and Inter-platoon competition. We had a mind-blowing and electrifying lecture on entrepreneurship. Kudos to the consultant; the lecture really made an impact. I remain grateful to SAED, the skill training on ICT(even though I registered for paint mixing)has broaden my horizon beyond just browsing for fun.(kudos to euidem concepts.). As one of the consultants would say “If you cannot make money from your hobby, forget it” the week also witnessed the presence of some important dignitaries such as the Oba of Ijebu land and his Chiefs (Oba Sikiru Kayode) the oldest Oba on throne in Yoruba land. I was opportune to see the culture at display live having watched them on movies and read in books. One thing you can never take away from them (Yoruba) is “RESPECT”. Evident it was, throughout my stay in camp amongst themselves and to people from other regions. Other important dignitaries we had in camp were; NYSC Governing Board Members, D.G of NYSC ably represented, Pastor Mr. & Mrs. Olu Johnson.
My piece will not be complete without the mention of inter-platoon competition (Oh yes! I rep platoon 10) 10 Platoon! 10 Platoon!! 10 Platoon!!! (Lol. In Mr. Emma’s voice) we won 7 Gold out of possible 10. Can you beat that? Kudos to we girls abeg. Na una try pass. The soldiers also made our moments in camp interesting and memorable, I’m already missing the drills, their penchant use of words like “Double up” “Jump up” “In threes, be in threes” “Jog, Jog, if you are walking, you are wrong” I also miss our celebrity Soldier “DAGA” a simple and funny soldier yet smart and energetic. If only we value autograph, “daga” would have been signing more than 2000 autograph.
Food is power! The camp food……erhm….eh… for every 5 star camp, there is a five star meal **Coughs and Scratchs head** the mammy market can suffice for a general market, anything you want, you will get (Legal). What I admire about the women there is that they are very hard working (husslers) be it menial or professional jobs. That prompt my roommate to ask “wait oh, na only women dey this State?”. Also, I had the craziest roommate ever (Unilag boys). Funny guys, they could create an imprompto movie scene without a script or practice, they organize a mini-room welcome party in two days of arrival when everybody were trying to get familiar with one another. Good Nollywood actors they would make. No dulling moment with them, I really miss them.
As the orientation(foundly called gestation period) ended, I walked out of the camp, the words of my platoon inspector echoed on me when someone was complaining, he said “Look, you are not here to enjoy like you do at home, camp is different and fun, play along, a onetime life experience you will never forget, enjoy it while it last”. I raised my head to look at the stadium, the camp, fellow corps members struggling to get buses for their various Local Government Area for place of primary assignment (P.P.A) and I asked myself “Why do we have to part, can’t we start all over again?” well we meet to part and part to meet.
Few days ago, looking at the pictures I took in camp and trying to re-collect the scenario at that moment, I was seized with a haunting bout of Nostalgia. Indeed, moments have turned memories.
I se yaa.. I se yaa.. I se yaa.. Omo Ogun i se yaa!

3 Likes

Re: Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! by jam04(m): 7:11pm On Aug 17, 2013
Welcome to the gateway state
Re: Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 18, 2013
nd ur WRITE UP has jst fetch u a v.i.p invitatn leta to d 'batch c 2013 room'.. www.nairaland.com/1281265/prospective-batch-c-2013-corpers/501 kindly check in one of dis days nd we wl be glad being at d receivin end...COME SHARE UR CAMP EXPERIENCE WIT US THERE..u cld as wel help answer sm questns..one love bro
Re: Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! by dulaman: 4:40pm On Nov 03, 2013
i feel like going back for a 2nd.
Re: Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! by sherif4owo(m): 6:20pm On Nov 03, 2013
I enjoyed reading through.

Thanks for your words.
Thank God I'm going there
Re: Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! by dulaman: 11:50am On Nov 04, 2013
sherif4owo: I enjoyed reading through.

Thanks for your words.
Thank God I'm going there

you are welcome. i bet you will enjoy the camp.wonderful experience it was.
Re: Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! by sherif4owo(m): 7:12pm On Nov 04, 2013
Averagelly, like how many passport do we need?
Re: Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! by dulaman: 9:31pm On Nov 04, 2013
sherif4owo: Averagelly, like how many passport do we need?

go with as many as you have.but 10-20 will do.
Re: Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! by dulaman: 4:52pm On Nov 26, 2013
16/07/2013 came to mind.
Re: Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! by sherif4owo(m): 7:05am On Nov 28, 2013
I was posted to ado odo ota local
g. Thank God Now I've being
rejected. Now I want a ijebu or
abeokuta lg. Pls how can I go
about it. Pls reply asap
Re: Ogun State Nysc Camp: My Brief! by dulaman: 11:27am On Dec 29, 2013
sherif4owo: I was posted to ado odo ota local
g. Thank God Now I've being
rejected. Now I want a ijebu or
abeokuta lg. Pls how can I go
about it. Pls reply asap

sorry been off for some time thats i coulnt answer you. i beliv you must hav found ur way now

(1) (Reply)

Six Corpers Test Positive For COVID-19 In Abia / When Will NYSC Pay Us Allowee / Corpers Lodge Pic..u Need 2see This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.