Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,406 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

Nigerian Women And Children: Condemned To Silence - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Women And Children: Condemned To Silence (1288 Views)

5 Tricks Nigerian Women Use To "Trap Men Into Marriage" / See What Nigerian Women Can Do (photos) / Why We Cheat On Our Husbands - Nigerian Women Open Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Women And Children: Condemned To Silence by mamaput(f): 9:02am On May 30, 2006
Many Women and children are in Nigeria condemned to silence.
From the day they are born they are to be seen not heard.
They are told older people are right and men are Superior to them.
That is why so many girls are been sexually abused those who have the courage to come out and say it are called lier, or that they asked for it, they deserved it called for it.
I have seen that happen so often even here on this forum,.
If it comes out they are asked why did you not talk abi you were liking it.

Yes why do they not talk because they know that at the end of the day no one will believe them.or even blame them.
I thank god i was never raped but i too have made my experience with such men.
At the age of 16 i did not know how to handle it expect to run out of the house and sit at the gate and keep my mouth shut because "Adults are always right and after they will blame me. The worst thing was the day i had my appendix removed i do not know who told that bastard i was in hospital but he came to visit me and i felt so helpless because i had a room of my own and i for once could not run to nowere .In that moment i knew that man could have done with me what he wanted and no one would even have believed me. .
But thank god he was only a dog and not a monster.
This happened over 20 years ago but i remember it like yesterday.
I will not make that mistake with my kids They will not grow up with the motto kids or women are to be seen not heard.
Re: Nigerian Women And Children: Condemned To Silence by kimba(m): 7:35pm On May 30, 2006
the world will really be a better place if women learn to speak up on issues in the society. Worse is that some women were brought up to think and behave like they are some sort of commodity. I really wonder why such women when they grow up would still rear up their kids in the same way they were brot up.

good decision mamaput. Let your kids learn to speak, and speak until they are heard.
Re: Nigerian Women And Children: Condemned To Silence by cammax7(m): 8:01pm On Jun 02, 2006
Condemned to silence. well it aint just them that are condemned to silence, people generally who are on the down side of the ladder in anything and anywhere, even in ther place of work are condemned to silence. But the question is who condemned them and why have they chosen to remain condemned. I know a lot of women suffer from inferiority complex and even when they get married and have a really nice husband,u know, the kind of guy who treats them right and all that, they still have this slave mentality prolly coz thats how their mama, related to their father.

from a big picture perspective though I think it boils down to ignorance. An ignorant knopws noting so how do u expect him to act on what he dont know. Just like when them white dudes came to Africa and we thought they were sort of gods or something and that they couldnt die and stuff like that, when we knew that in fact they were as humans as we are if not even softer, then we began to take things into our hands.

u know, its just that african mentality. its the men that are more important. kids and wife stay at home, ddady is going to the town meeting. to do what? to discuss issues that ultimately affect them-the children and women-but then they are left out. it happens everywhere, a company calls for an executive meeting and the main point on the agenda is why are sales dwindling, now they dont involve the sales man who goes out there and meet people, the consumers, the guy who interacts with them and knows exactly what they want, they think 'we is the ones with the degrees and MBA'S we should do the discussion and all that' but that doesnt cut it.

but then the question is if we must really change the status quo, what must be done. How do we give our women and children the courage to speak up and let them understand its their right and not a priveledge.

forgive my long talk grin
Re: Nigerian Women And Children: Condemned To Silence by mamaput(f): 8:06pm On Jun 02, 2006
When i read even here i see nothing has changed. Even the new generation of young girls abroad , many have the same views as the Mothers b4 them
Re: Nigerian Women And Children: Condemned To Silence by cammax7(m): 8:22pm On Jun 02, 2006
then who put those sort of ideas into their heads. what is the education system we have doing to correct this problem. i think also that schools have a huge role to play in this
Re: Nigerian Women And Children: Condemned To Silence by mamaput(f): 8:50pm On Jun 02, 2006
cammax7:

then who put those sort of ideas into their heads. what is the education system we have doing to correct this problem. i think also that schools have a huge role to play in this

Their mothers, fathers, brothers and teachers.

(1) (Reply)

Child Labour / Which Month Has The Most Birthdays. / Some Parents And The "Questionable" Names They Give Their Children.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.