Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,630 members, 7,820,223 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

First Professor Of Math In Nigeria: Ezeilo Or Olubummo? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / First Professor Of Math In Nigeria: Ezeilo Or Olubummo? (20517 Views)

Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. / Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. / Photo : Could This Be The Next Chike Obi, Professor Of Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Professor Of Math In Nigeria: Ezeilo Or Olubummo? by Ramon2: 12:22pm On Aug 18, 2013
http://nigerianmathematicalsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52:prof-joc-ezeilo&catid=41

BRIEF PROFILE OF PROFESSOR EMERITUS JAMES OKOYE CHUKUKA EZEILO (CON, FAS, KSC)

Emeritus Professor J.O.C. Ezeilo (popularly called JOC) was born on January 17, 1930 at Nanka in Anambra State, Nigeria. He was married with four children. He had the following degrees: B.Sc. (First Class Hons.) in Mathematics (1953); B.Sc. Advanced (Passed with Distinction) (1954); M.Sc. (1955) all from the University of London; Ph.D. (1958) Cambridge University, England; D.Sc. (h.c.) (1989) University of Maiduguri; D. Tech. (h.c.) (1995) Federal University of Technology, Akure; D.Sc. (h.c.) (1996)

University of Nigeria, Nsukka; D.Sc. (h.c) (2008) Anambra State University, Uli.

Professor Emeritus Ezeilo started his academic career as a Lecturer in Mathematics at the University of Ibadan in 1958 and rose to the rank of a full Professor of Mathematics in 1964. In 1963, he was a Visiting Lecturer and Research Associate (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA); From 1966 – 1988, Professor of Mathematics, University of Nigeria, Nsukka; In 1979, a Benedict Distinguished Visiting Professor of Maths (Carlton College, Northfield, Minnesota, USA) and in 1980 a Visiting Professor of Mathematics (Howard University, Washington DC, USA). During the years 1967 – 1978 at the University of Nigeria, he was Head, Department of Mathematics; Acting Vice-Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor. In 1978 - 1979, he was also the Vice Chancellor, Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria and Chairman, Committee of Vice-Chancellors (of Nigerian Universities). From 1988 – 1994, he was the (Founding) Director, National Mathematical Centre, Abuja, Nigeria.

Professor Emeritus JOC published not less than 87 scientific papers in learned journals. Also, he had various academic prizes and awards. These include: University Major Scholar, University College, Ibadan, Nigeria (1949 – 1953); Ayrton Premium Award for a publication in the 1963 proceedings of the Institution of Electrical Engineers (U.K.) (1964); National Honour of the Commander of the Order of the Niger by the Federal Military Government (1979); A commemorative plaque of the Nigerian Mathematical Society for "outstanding pioneering contributions to the advancement of Mathematics in Nigeria"; the Gold Medal of the National Mathematical Centre for pioneering contributions to the development of Mathematics and in 2010, the Distinguished Professor Award by the National Universities Commission, Abuja.

He served the public in the following areas: Member, Nigerian Council for Science and Technology (1970 – 1975); Chairman, Projects Development Agency of the East Central State of Nigeria (1970 – 1974); Chairman of the review panel for the mathematical curriculum for the Secondary Schools of the Federation (1978); Member, National Merit Award Committee (1979); Member, Board of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (1983 – 1989); Member, University of Abuja Planning Panel (1983); Chairman, Council of the Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi, Nigeria (1986 – 1990); Chairman, University of Abuja Planning Committee (1987); Representative of the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) Trieste, Italy for the West African Region (1990 - 1997); Member of the Scientific Council of ICTP Trieste, Italy (1993 - 1997); Member of the Scientific Council of Institut de Recherch`e Mathematiques, Abidjan; Member of the Scientific Council of Institut de Mathematiques et de Sciences Physiques of Porto Novo, Benin Republic.

Professor Emeritus JOC Ezeilo belonged to the following societies: Member, Nigerian Mathematical Society (President 1984 – 1991); Member, Mathematical Association of Nigeria (President 1972 – 1974); Member, Mathematical Association of America; Member, London Mathematical Society; Member, Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics; Fellow, Nigerian Academy of Sciences; Fellow, Third World Academy of Sciences; Fellow, African Academy of Sciences; Fellow, Mathematical Association of Nigeria.

Re: First Professor Of Math In Nigeria: Ezeilo Or Olubummo? by Ramon2: 12:22pm On Aug 18, 2013
Adegoke Olubummo

Born: April 19, 1923 died: October 26, 1992

place: Orin Ekiti, Ondo State (Nigeria)

B.A. Fourah College, Freetown Sierra Leone (1950); M.A. in Mathematics (1952) Kings College, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in the University of Durham United Kingdom

Ph.D. (1955) from King's College, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in the University of Durham United Kingdom
thesis: Studies in the Theory of Linear Spaces; W Rogosinski

Adegoke Olubummo was the son of the honored first literate Olorin of Orin, H.R.H. Oba William Adekolawolu Olubummo II and Olori Abigael Osarayi Olubommo. As a child of parents of high honor, he received an excellent education at Methodist schools in which he worked (Ifaki Methodist School) as a pupil teacher in 1937. All three of Adegoke Olubummo's children are mathematicians. His daugher Yewande Olubummo is currently in the U..S. as an assistant professor of mathematics at Spelman College.

In 1938, at the age of 14, Olubumo entered Wesley College in Ibadan. In 1942 he returned to his alma mater as ateacher, and for thenext few years taught at primary and secondary schools in Nigeria, Ghana (then the Gold Coast), and Sierra Leone. He earned is B.A. from Fourah College in Freetown Sierra Leone (1950).

Adegoke Olubummo earned his M.A. in Mathematics (1952) and his Ph.D. (1955) from King's College, University of Durham in Castle-Upon-Tyne, United Kingdom. In 1955, he began as a lecturer in the mathematics department the University College, Ibadan, Nigeria where he was promoted to[b] (Full) Professor in 1964. [/b]Dr. Olobummo was head of the Department of Mathematics at the University of Ibadan for many years, where he was determined to create qualitative traditions in spite of the handicaps of development in a young African university. In 1985 he retired from the University of Ibadan, and became Dean of the Faculty of Science of Ondo State University.

Dr. Adegoke Olubummo, with James Ezeilo and Chike Obi, was one of a trio of black (indigenous) mathematicians who pioneered modern mathematics research in Nigeria. He pioneered the establishment of the Forum for Functional Analysis and its Applications and the Nigerian Mathematical Society. Many of his Ibadan students went off to earn the doctorate in mathematics; e.g., T. O. Adewoye, Olusola Akinyele, S. K. Assiamous, V. A. Babola, the Senator S. O. Iyahen, E. O. Oshabi, and O. Popoola.

The following are articles about Adegoki Olubummo:

Sowunmi, C. O. A. Professor Adegoke Olubumm\d o [1923--1992]---a multidimensional view. Memorial issue for Professor Adegoke Olubumm\d o. J. Nigerian Math. Soc. 11 (1992), no. 2, iii--iv.

Akiny\d ele, O. Adegoke Olubumm\d o [1923--1992]: the man, the teacher, the mathematician. Memorial issue for Professor Adegoke Olubumm\d o. J. Nigerian Math. Soc. 11 (1992), no. 2, i--ii.

\{Memorial issue for Professor Adegoke Olubumm\d o\}. J. Nigerian Math. Soc. {\bf 11} (1992), no. 2. Nigerian Mathematical Society, University of Ibadan, Department of Mathematics, Ibadan, 1992. pp. i--iv and 1--131.

http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/PEEPS/olubummo_adegoke.html
Re: First Professor Of Math In Nigeria: Ezeilo Or Olubummo? by Ramon2: 12:28pm On Aug 18, 2013
Chike Obi, Ezeilo, and Olubummo were the first three PhD holders in Math in Nigeria, Obi got the degree first in 1950, but got to became a prof much later in 1970 than the others because he got into politics
Re: First Professor Of Math In Nigeria: Ezeilo Or Olubummo? by Ramon2: 12:28pm On Aug 18, 2013
Okay! Ezeilo and Olubummo were probably very good friends. but for the purpose of Fani Kayode and his Igbo-Yoruba comparative analysis, we need to sort out who was first to become a professor

Both became professors in the same year 1964, but who was first?
Re: First Professor Of Math In Nigeria: Ezeilo Or Olubummo? by BabaNath(m): 1:51pm On Sep 14, 2015
I think it's the Olubummo. Check the Guardian editorial. But the argument is not necessary

Re: First Professor Of Math In Nigeria: Ezeilo Or Olubummo? by phemy36(m): 4:45pm On Mar 03, 2016
BabaNath:
I think it's the Olubummo. Check the Guardian editorial. But the argument is not necessary
I think u are right . Pls how can i post on NL. Pls help
Re: First Professor Of Math In Nigeria: Ezeilo Or Olubummo? by Affable0709(m): 5:48pm On Mar 03, 2016
I love 😍 maths, I don't know it now but I'd be great someday, sorry I'm not contributing here... I'm just fantasizing about mine.
Engine... Here I come...
Re: First Professor Of Math In Nigeria: Ezeilo Or Olubummo? by dioradegreat: 8:19am On Oct 24, 2016
Ezeilo and Olubummo are the first professors of mathematics in Nigeria who is exactly first is subject to Another research
Re: First Professor Of Math In Nigeria: Ezeilo Or Olubummo? by dioradegreat: 8:21am On Oct 24, 2016
i think it is good knowing all this a good development

(1) (Reply)

Sexualization Of School Children / Victor Koreyo, Lecturer Renounces Nigerian Citizenship; Writes Buhari / OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.