Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,196 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction (7793 Views)

Lagos Cleared Full Option Benz 190 (baby-benz) For Sale / Does Anyone Know Fluid Or Device To Economise Fuel Comsumption In A Car? / Price Slash; Now =N=250,000; Mercedes-benz 190 (padded) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by binatrix(m): 9:05am On Jun 07, 2008
guys, i need assistance from u. what can be done to reduce the fuel consumption of benz 190? i hav heard different concepts such as there being a component (that goes between 18K naira to 20K naira) fixed on the car and another being to change the carburator.

please, any idea on how to reduce fuel comsumption of benz 190??
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by styrax(m): 2:25pm On Jun 07, 2008
change the car lol

Actually there are quite a lot of things to do like changing the air intake valve on the manifold. Tweaking with a turbocharger for more power etc. but some of these can actually offset the present market value of the MB 190E

Best of luck.
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by nkc(m): 2:32pm On Jun 07, 2008
is yur car an injector or carb
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by ateke2(m): 8:15pm On Jun 07, 2008
binatrix:

guys, i need assistance from u. what can be done to reduce the fuel consumption of benz 190? i hav heard different concepts such as there being a component (that goes between 18K naira to 20K naira) fixed on the car and another being to change the carburator.

please, any idea on how to reduce fuel comsumption of benz 190??

@poster
How much do you spend weekly on fuel?
AS for me I use a 190 n I don't have any consumption issues.
A colleague of my had his injector replaced with a carburetor of jetta, even as at that i think the consumption rate of his is still higher than mine. My advice do not tamper with the cab or injector, sell the car and get something else.
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by binatrix(m): 10:31pm On Jun 07, 2008
thanks mates, i guess i will sell it and buy a honda halla then.
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by Ivvie: 11:12pm On Jun 12, 2008
`
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by kuntash: 11:04am On Jun 13, 2008
Thanks alot Ivvie, I like it when u dish out a thorough explaination in dis manner, U & Sienna do well for making this forum what it ought be,
Now Talking about solvents as injector cleaner etc, are u kinda discouraging em? I must confess a bottle of ABRO fuel cleaner had saved me close to 10litre of fuel after using one for a full tank , (Highway jny), Also can the injector nozzles be actually serviced?. tanks
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by Ivvie: 12:33am On Jun 15, 2008
`
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by sultaan(m): 6:35pm On Jun 15, 2008
General ways of getting better fuel mileage is to;

1. I'm not sure if a Merc 190 has O2 sensors, if they do replace all.
2. Change all 4 spark plugs.
3. Check/Change your ignition wires/rotor.
4. Check/change air/fuel filter.
5. Clean out you combustion chamber(I use seafoam)
6. Check and clean fuel injectors, if its clogged it will stream out fuel instead of fine spray so you have a rich condition.

Things you could have done to make it bad;

Buying dirty fuel from roadside gas station/vendors
If anybody had used a screwdriver to adjust your throttle at carburetor(bad idea) they should have cleaned it first.
If you have removed the thermostat too, it will affect fuel economy(car runs too cold).
While you are at it change your engine oil.

Diagnosing problem;

Have lot of smoke and fuel smell(exhaust) on start up. Clogged/leaky injector(s)
Having fuel smell in your warmed up car while running. Incomplete combustion ignition system, O2 sensors, gunk up intake valves.
This might help you understand more http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/ic30336.htm before mechanics start fleecing you.

Its also possible that your injectors are leaking fuel into your engine. If you start up you car in the morning(hard) and there is a lot of unburnt fuel smell in you exhaust you will need new injector(s)

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by Ivvie: 6:55pm On Jun 15, 2008
`
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by sultaan(m): 7:21pm On Jun 15, 2008
Ivvie:

Sultaan, I wasn't referring to 190e in terms of O2 sensors. I only responded to the question asked in reference to bottled additives. As I said, a lot could contribute to the Merc's engine's poor state of health. I was in Lagos in February and you wouldn't believe, many vehicles had their exhaust tips wire guazed. Imagine the blow back to the plugs and engine. Some people had their exhaust reduced from 2 to 1. I cannot conclude for the fellow asking but can only make opinions.

I said that because I din't know when cars started having O2 sensors, I would have had him look at his catalytic coverter too(downstream exhaust condition)
I'm just throwing stuffs at a wall here hoping one will stick. I know he'll smell unburnt fuel, but for him to really know how well his car should run he'll need to go stand behind a new car and smell the exhaust fumes.Otherwise if his exhaust smells normal he has a leaky fuel line.
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by Ivvie: 8:01pm On Jun 15, 2008
`
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by 190: 10:45pm On Dec 25, 2008
get a new direct benz 190 like i did
and u wont have fuel problems
or u go 4 sumtin beta like yaris
dats wot im aimin at
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by sdbaba: 3:26pm On Dec 26, 2008
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 26, 2008
styrax:

change the car lol
Tweaking with a turbocharger for more power etc.

And may I ask who told you that?!

A turbocharger's designed to increase output, and allow for a more efficient "burn."

The turbo pumps more air into the cylinders.
More air rich in oxygen = more fuel.

How does that make a car more economical?
Assumining it did make the car use less fuel, the cost of the conversion would mean the poster would have to drive the car for at least 10 hours a day, for the next 10 years, before any "savings" on fuel would offset the conversion cost!
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by Thadude(m): 7:35pm On Dec 26, 2008
Using HHO (Hydrogen gas) could save fuel by 20%, if efficiently installed with all technicalities and sizes (dual cell) it could save by 60%. Best of all it burns clean energy and allows for efficient engine performance. with $50 budget, i had concluded plans to build and install a prototype in my car before gas droped to an exceptional cheap rate. However i m keen on installing it in my car for observational purpose and to have a greener impact on my environment, when i do after the freezing winter, i would provide pictures and possibly video. Hydrogen gas burns cleaner and faster than fuel. Its also a bomb!!!, wont adviser anyone without technical ability to try it, however its very safe when properly installed.
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by 190: 10:53pm On Dec 26, 2008
just get a new 1 and use it for another 4yrs b4 changin it
Re: Mercedes Benz 190 Fuel Comsumption Reduction by dumpexec: 4:22pm On Jun 16, 2010
You should get the HHO Kit. I tried it on my Nissan xterra and its really saving me about 30% fuel consumption and adding more power.

(1) (Reply)

Motorbike: Pre Order These Honda Vtr 1000 Firestorm,kawasaki Ninja 600 Etc / SOL SOLD Tokunbo Tiny Light Toyota Camry - N800k(firm) SOLD SOLD / Sparkling Tokunbo 2008 Toyota Highlander 4WD And Navigation System..price: N4.3m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.