Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,295 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo (1505 Views)

Female Footballers Are Unjustly Labelled Lesbians — Uwak / PHOTOS:3 Richest Nigerian Footballers And Their Mansions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by dondumexx(m): 2:09am On Aug 21, 2013
Former Chelsea coach, Roberto Di Matteo, has described Nigerian players as very proud and ambitious, saying he enjoyed working with them while coaching in the English Premier League.

The 2012 UEFA Champions League winning coach was in Nigeria recently on a two-day visit courtesy of beer brand, Guinness, to launch a new online game, the Guinness Football Manager.

“I signed Peter Odemwingie and he was one of the best performers for the season I signed him. I also worked with Victor Moses and John Obi Mikel at Chelsea. I have really enjoyed working with them because they are very proud people, very ambitious people,” Di Matteo said.

“I have a very close relationship with them, to get the best from them and utilise the best attributes they have.”

The Guinness Football Manager Ambassador added, “I have watched the African Cup of Nations and the World Cup and have seen that African players have lots of skills. African teams have shown in the past World Cups that they are capable of winning it because they are constantly improving on their tactical awareness and increasing their chances of reaching the semi-finals or finals of the World Cup.”
www.dondumex..com
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by braine(m): 2:28am On Aug 21, 2013
Nigerians are proud generally
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by tpia5: 3:29am On Aug 21, 2013
are they?
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by Nobody: 3:49am On Aug 21, 2013
Oyinbos often use the word 'proud' in a positive context. I guess he meant Nigerian players are confident and upbeat.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by nerodenero: 5:10am On Aug 21, 2013
pro01: Oyinbos often use the word 'proud' in a positive context. I guess he meant Nigerian players are confident and upbeat.
I think you have a point here.
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by k2039: 7:09am On Aug 21, 2013
“I signed Peter Odemwingie and he was one of the best performers for the season I signedhim. I also worked with Victor Moses and JohnObi Mikel at Chelsea. I have really enjoyed working with them because they are very proud people, very ambitious people,” Di Matteo said.

In his context, Proud means to be strong willed, hardworking and ambitious not arrogance.
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by Dovahkiin(m): 8:02am On Aug 21, 2013
#wash
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by dplomaticVal: 8:13am On Aug 21, 2013
tHats the truth. tHey're loyal, assiduous and hardworking whn tHey ply their trade in europe, bt arrogant, mulish and egocentric wHn they come to their fatherland.
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by dridowu: 8:21am On Aug 21, 2013
Nigerians are Great
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by 0monnak0da: 9:33am On Aug 21, 2013
He was paid very handsomely to come to Nigeria.What do you expect him to say? That many Nigerians have body odour?(a fact that can be verified by visiting any banking hall)I do not see any value bringing him to Nigeria.We have bigger Nigerians that we should honour like Kanu ,Finidi and okocha.Was he not sacked by another Nigerian at Chelsea??
And what is this "Oyinbo" use "arrogant" in a positive way rubbish ? Sometimes yes and sometimes no just like Nigerians. e.g The Super Eagles made us all proud at the nations cup or "I am very proud of my son"
If he uses Odemwigie as an example of a proud Nigerian we need to think about what he means??
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by Nobody: 10:17am On Aug 21, 2013
tpia@:
are they?

They are.... Especially when they make small money... sad..... But not all, sha.
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by BabaAlabi: 11:42am On Aug 21, 2013
Na wa o...This guy is a champions league winner...how come no club wants him? Chelsea and their bad luck.
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by Tonylyte(m): 12:06pm On Aug 21, 2013
BabaAlabi: Na wa o...This guy is a champions league winner...how come no club wants him? Chelsea and their bad luck.

lol, u cn say dat again, shevchenko, daco, crespo, quaresma et all .
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by ChiSun27(m): 12:41pm On Aug 21, 2013
Na wa some peeps. Una sha must find fault in every speech.
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by chuksi79(m): 1:12pm On Aug 21, 2013
FR tyns grin
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by WildChild00(m): 2:19pm On Aug 21, 2013
k2039:

In his context, Proud means to be strong willed, hardworking and ambitious not arrogance.

He is an Italian man that learnt English language, as a second language, some Spainish lecturers once refer to unfortunate as shame, i.e. It is a shame you could not make it to Madrid....
Re: Nigerian Footballers Are Very Proud - Roberto Di Matteo by Haywhymido(m): 3:20pm On Aug 21, 2013
BabaAlabi: Na wa o...This guy is a champions league winner...how come no club wants him? Chelsea and their bad luck.
u b nigeria numba 1 mumu. Rmd is taking one year free frm coaching. Eediot angry

(1) (Reply)

Identify The Celebrities In This Picture / Read Beverly & Melvin's FULL Interview On Coolfm This Morning / Kemi Olunloyo Blasts Nkiru Sylvanus........... She Is Done Befriending Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.