Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Is 'home' Really Where The House Should Be? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is 'home' Really Where The House Should Be? (855 Views)

Please Architects In The House Should Help Me Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is 'home' Really Where The House Should Be? by PlotsandHouses: 5:04pm On Aug 21, 2013
The gnawing hunger to build a house in Nigeria is still an important goal for many Nigerians in the diaspora just as it was decades ago for older generations. One thing baffles me though - so many people are building houses back in Nigeria while they and their families live for decades in poky little cubicles.

A significant symbol of where a person calls home is where theybuy or build their house. But, is home really where the house is? Nowadays, numerous people who leave thewarm shores of Nigeria for the ‘staid brick cubicles’ of other nations eventually decide to settle there. While pursuing academic or professional development, they acquire a taste for what that foreign nation can offer but which they feel is lacking in Nigeria.

Many spend what seems like a lifetime in a foreign nation. Meanwhile, they embark on a building project which lasts for just as long - often this is a hard struggle and a drain on finances, an investment in something they may never get to truly enjoy.

In times past, Nigerians left their homeland in search of education and work experience to help them build a future - life, career and family. They left with the clear intention of returning home. One indication of that was the relentless effort they put into building a house in Nigeria. In many cases they sent money home to a relative or friend to oversee their building project, and did this for years while they struggled to make ends meet. Some were lucky; the relative took on the project as they would take on national service and delivered it to specification.

Unfortunately, it didn’t work out for all. Some hard-working people lost their money to unscrupulous deviant relatives or friends. Since every dime had gone towards the building project, they struggled for many years to restart what should've been completed. Some plodded along relentlessly and eventually built the house while others weren't able to muster the financial strength to build simultaneously with providing their children with a decent life.

Interestingly, passage of time and the current state of the economy has made it difficult for countless people to return home permanently. This means that the opportunity to live in that house they built is considerably marginal. And, I feel this may continue in this current generation because sometimes people succumb to peer or family pressure to tick off homeowner status, even though owning a property in Nigeria is not really an immediate need in their individual case.

Owning a property in Nigeria doesn’t make you any more Nigerian than you were at birth. So, shouldn’t priority be given to having suitable accommodation in the place where you will live for the foreseeable future rather than building houses you and your kids may not really enjoy? Let’s face it, only a tiny fraction of children born and bred abroad would think of returning to Nigeria to live in those houses due to the current state of the nation. Besides with the option of buying a new build from Plotsandhouses you could save with interest over a period of time and buy with little or no stress when you decide you’re definitely going home. What are your thoughts?

http://www.plotsandhouses.com/ishomereallywherethehouseis.aspx
Re: Is 'home' Really Where The House Should Be? by ilaugh1: 5:10pm On Aug 21, 2013
you dont have money to invest in your country, thats why you come up with this thrash. It's an investment, duhhhh. Or do you want to call those small flats or apartments you get on mortage abroad homes? You cant even lay claim that you own the balcony of those flats. If you have money, noone will teach you before you come running to Nigeria to build houses.
Re: Is 'home' Really Where The House Should Be? by gtrust: 5:22pm On Aug 21, 2013
When you 'settle' abroad, you must buy a house and live there with your family.
There are too many advantages for doing that.

Once you've done that, think about Holidaying in Nigeria and in your own small/big house.
It doesn't cost that much to build a small house in Nigeria.
You will only need your flight ticket and small change to go and enjoy your free time as against the
cost of hotel abroad.

Technically, we do need a house in Nigeria!
If you do a good job (mansion) then your children will never have to do it again!

About Children,it's good to expose them early to Nigeria and when they are older it becomes easier for them to make an informed choice.
Re: Is 'home' Really Where The House Should Be? by kopell: 8:17pm On Aug 21, 2013
Men you need to stop this your ideal of don't buy or build house in your native country okay, I ll get back to this latter busy now.
Re: Is 'home' Really Where The House Should Be? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 21, 2013
@poster,
I truly support ur view,I have 2 buildings in 9ja which sometimes I wish I can turn d hand of time,I will not have bothered doing them,Nigeria is not safe especially investment wise,there is no political stability,d rule of d law is a make up as they go,one governor could decide to take ur land and house or even pull everything down and there's nothing u can about it.
Re: Is 'home' Really Where The House Should Be? by ilaugh1: 8:43am On Aug 22, 2013
euromilion: @poster,
I truly support ur view,I have 2 buildings in 9ja which sometimes I wish I can turn d hand of time,I will not have bothered doing them,Nigeria is not safe especially investment wise,there is no political stability,d rule of d law is a make up as they go,one governor could decide to take ur land and house or even pull everything down and there's nothing u can about it.

Why not send people to pull it down and then forget about Nigeria? Stories like this makes no sense, absolutely no sense. If its true you have two houses in Nigeria, you will never make those statements you made. I know people abroad who have over five houses in Nigeria and still building.
Re: Is 'home' Really Where The House Should Be? by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 22, 2013
i_laugh:

Why not send people to pull it down and then forget about Nigeria? Stories like this makes no sense, absolutely no sense. If its true you have two houses in Nigeria, you will never make those statements you made. I know people abroad who have over five houses in Nigeria and still building.

@u truly make me LAUGH.

Why not counter the arguement by telling pple why they should build in 9ja.Anyway,I dont have time to argue blindly afterall is a democratical society,everyone is entitle to their view.
Re: Is 'home' Really Where The House Should Be? by ilaugh1: 10:39am On Aug 22, 2013
euromilion:

@u truly make me LAUGH.

Why not counter the arguement by telling pple why they should build in 9ja.Anyway,I dont have time to argue blindly afterall is a democratical society,everyone is entitle to their view.

Are the two houses you built occupied by goats? If they are, then your statement holds water, if they are occupied by human beings, then I dont see reason for your line of thought.

(1) (Reply)

For Sale: A Block Of 4 no 3 b/r Flats At Ogunsefunmi str, Anifowose, Ikeja. N30m / Mainstreet Estate, Agbara And Premier Garden City, Mowe / Houses And Lands With C/O For Sale In Owerri, Awka And Other Places

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.