Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,602 members, 7,820,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' (28173 Views)

Keshi To Drag NFF To FIFA Court / Osaze Warns Keshi To Watch His Back / Tom Saintfiet, A Belgian Is Super Eagles Tech Director For $20k Monthly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by SuyaEater(m): 5:41pm On Aug 23, 2013
Malawi coach Tom Saintfiet is to report Stephen Keshi to Fifa after the Nigeria coach called him "a white dude who should go back to Belgium".

The pair have been arguing since Malawi asked Fifa to move next month's crucial World Cup qualifier from Calabar for safety reasons.

Saintfiet told BBC Sport: "It is unacceptable that any person says these words - it is clear racism.

"It is 100% sure that my lawyers will lodge a complaint with Fifa."

The row erupted earlier this month when the Football Association of Malawi (FAM) wrote to Fifa, seeking a new venue for their 7 September Group F qualifier away to the Super Eagles - a match which Malawi, who trail Nigeria by two points, must win to progress to the play-offs.

Belgian Saintfiet told local media at the time that he was concerned about security because he claims "the UK's Foreign & Commonwealth Office says it is a no-travel area".

Keshi hit back shortly afterwards, saying "this is where we play our games and other countries are fine with that".

And the Nigerian Football Federation complied with Fifa's request for a written guarantee that the game would go ahead safely.

Keshi has now followed that up with comments on UK-based African TV show, Vox Africa's Sports360 , saying: "I think the coach of Malawi is crazy.

"If he wants to talk to Fifa, he should go back to Belgium. He is not an African person, he is a white dude, he should go back to Belgium," Keshi said.

"I have never used any words like these to any coach. He has no right, who is he?

"All other countries play in Calabar. Calabar is one of the safest places in Nigeria... He is mad. I wish I could say it to his face."

Saintfiet, who married a Zimbabwean earlier this year, told BBC Sport he is "shocked" by Keshi's comments and he believes the former Nigeria captain's words could also lead to trouble at the qualifier.

"These words create hate and aggression, and creates a risk ahead of the match in Calabar," Saintfiet added. "These comments are unacceptable and I am very sad about them.

"I will not say any bad words about Mr Keshi, nor Nigeria - I only spoke about moving the game.

"If Fifa takes racism seriously, then you have to take it seriously in both directions. If a European said something of this nature about an African, you would have a huge problem.

"I am against racism in all directions."

Saintfiet believes Keshi "is angry because of the request to change the venue", but the Belgian stands by his feeling that Calabar is unsafe.

"If Fifa says it's ok (for the match to be played in Calabar) because Nigeria will provide anti-bomb squads, then surely this is a problem at the beginning.

"If you need anti-bomb squads, you cannot consider the area safe. It is designated a non-travel area, high-risk area.

"We are not insulting anyone."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23811998

1 Like

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by Afam4eva(m): 5:43pm On Aug 23, 2013
While i think Malawi are grasping at straws, i also think Keshi's comment was racist.

27 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by Redoil: 5:53pm On Aug 23, 2013
Afam4eva: While i think Malawi are grasping at straws, i also think Keshi's comment was racist.
afam please unban me in politics section

40 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by justwise(m): 6:21pm On Aug 23, 2013
If this is true then Keshi should be ashamed of himself for using such language.

10 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by sweetponmo(m): 6:43pm On Aug 23, 2013
Keshi, you are a clandestine racist. Please apologize to the Malawi coach... You would not want the world further compound the problems of Nigerians by labelling us racists.

7 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by Systeme101: 6:51pm On Aug 23, 2013
Am disapointed @ Keshi's coment. Is he truly a professional coach?...i tink he's d person a b assumed as mad in dis instance. He beter focus on his team cos d last match ws d worst i've ever seen since he took ova.
Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 23, 2013
That was definitely racist, keshi should not have said such things, instead respond to anything they say by spanking malawi in calabar

3 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by collynzo2(m): 11:04pm On Aug 23, 2013
Keshi was only being patriotic, up Keshi!

9 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by collynzo2(m): 11:05pm On Aug 23, 2013
"Even countries that had a war and are still fighting to hold games, and somebody is trying to insult my
country." said Keshi

11 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by collynzo2(m): 11:07pm On Aug 23, 2013
"I can't allow him to insult my country," Keshi
began. "He came here and did everything he could to get a job. Nigeria was not unsafe for him then.
Patriotic Keshi

17 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by collynzo2(m): 11:07pm On Aug 23, 2013
"Because he didn't get it, he is now trying to insult our country. Many of us don't realize the
significance of what he said, and we're taking it lightly. "We can't allow that,” Keshi said. "Calabar is the safest part of this country. Other
teams have come there and played games and
nothing has happened. Who is he to tell us what to do in our country?

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by collynzo2(m): 11:35pm On Aug 23, 2013
''Namibia has a grass turf and an artificial turf, they said we were going to play on the artificial turf, we didn't say a word.''
''Kenya said this is where we are going to play, we didn't say a word''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8faG9Oie60g

2 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by siddiq202(m): 11:56pm On Aug 23, 2013
I have never used any words like these to any coach. He has no right, who is he?

This one will probably land you a fine and/or ban for some matches. That's very unprofessional of you.

In a bid to sound patriotic you went as far as calling another coach mad? Hahaha you even wish you could say it to his face? The part of your statements that make you look like a racist is unacceptable too and you need to apologize.

Coach, you need to be sanctioned!

6 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by SuyaEater(m): 2:39am On Aug 24, 2013
Keshi should have been the bigger man...you have won the cup of nations...you have a better resume than this clown....no need to say things like that to bring urself to his level....keep quiet let the eagles do the talking in calabar...we have bigger fish to fry than malawi

12 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by tellwisdom: 3:22am On Aug 24, 2013
Tom tom saints fish??...which company is that?? sad

4 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by free2ryhme: 3:26am On Aug 24, 2013
Redoil: afam please unban me in politics section

why are you begging him to unban you.. Only weaklings beg

they are made mod on NL because people like you generate the traffic that keeps this place alive ..

they have become unbecoming

tell him off and come back after your ban has expire

31 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by bloglover(m): 3:27am On Aug 24, 2013
Nna ehn tom deserves a very hot salap...dis wan don komot 4 slap

1 Like

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by hrmkz: 3:28am On Aug 24, 2013
If Keshi truely said all these, then he should await the consequence.

2 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by leggo: 3:31am On Aug 24, 2013
this serves him right. We blacks have double standards.

1 Like

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by extension: 3:33am On Aug 24, 2013
I can smell frustration already from the malawi coach from whatever country. Keshi should be very careful,he wants to win that match by all means including football politics.

4 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by Big4wig(m): 3:40am On Aug 24, 2013
I never get talk
Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by naijathings(m): 3:40am On Aug 24, 2013
Keshi should have known better than saying such words.
All hell would be let loose if those same words were said to Keshi while in Europe or USA or Asia.
he didn't even have to be verbally abusive.
he no try.

3 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by Nobody: 3:47am On Aug 24, 2013
Good luck with the suit.
Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by Nobody: 3:49am On Aug 24, 2013
Keshi has succeeded in giving Sainfiet all the publicity he wanted. Congrats dumbo!

1 Like

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by ugogboskey(m): 3:50am On Aug 24, 2013
What has come over Keshi! His success so far notwithstanding, I think that Keshi has some sort of character issues. He can do better than that for God's sake. Nothing the Malawian coach has said warranted such language from Keshi...

Beat the Malawians. That is all the talking we expect from Keshi now!

1 Like

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by vladimiros: 3:50am On Aug 24, 2013
KESHI PLAYED IN BELGIUM

FOR ANDERLECHT

TOM IS WASTING HIS TIME
Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by leggo: 3:52am On Aug 24, 2013
vladimiros: KESHI PLAYED IN BELGIUM

FOR ANDERLECHT

TOM IS WASTING HIS TIME
your point?

5 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by Muscomide: 3:54am On Aug 24, 2013
Shame on Keshi for shooting the messenger. The fact is that no place in the Nigeria of today can be said to be safe. Moreover, a coach of Keshi's standing should be better able to put his point across in a diplomatic way without coming across like a racist thug. We need to keep our house in order and not blame non Nigerians who perceive our country to be unsafe.

8 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by Gregzee: 3:55am On Aug 24, 2013
This is his tactics! Keshi should beware
Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by Nobody: 3:56am On Aug 24, 2013
collynzo2: "Even countries that had a war and are still fighting to hold games, and somebody is trying to insult my
country." said Keshi

You will be the first person to cry racism if it was the other way around. He was wrong and should apologized to the Malawian coach. Stop being a stupid patriot

2 Likes

Re: Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' by Nobody: 3:59am On Aug 24, 2013
free2ryhme:

they have become unbecoming

Love this saying, you are not african if your parents have not used these words on you grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Mourinho Breaks Silence On Real Madrid’s 4-1 Defeat To Ajax, Speaks On Replacing / John Ogu & Vera's Court Wedding (Photo) / Alexis Sanchez Breaks Up With Mayte Rodriguez, His Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.