Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

Lipstick And Black Women A Love Hate Relationship - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Lipstick And Black Women A Love Hate Relationship (754 Views)

Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” / Video Tutorial : Download Free Makeup Tutorial For Black Women / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lipstick And Black Women A Love Hate Relationship by OceaneKhadija80: 2:24pm On Aug 25, 2013
Not that long ago I was standing near a beauty counter looking for a particular shade of lipstick I like , I found it and passed two elegantly dressed ladies but my eyes caught glimpse of something I have noticed weather abroad or a home the use of black eye liner worn with frosted lipstick why ladies do we still do this? I have tried to come up with many plausible explanations but nothing. Of course I have relative sand friends who still stick to this unique routine but what does everyone think? I am very curious to know. I am not advocating that everyone should wear lipstick of course not this would be absurd. To wear lipstick that is is very much a personal choice but lipstick and eyeliner is something that is very synonymous to Nigeria and yes it is a bit of a cliche that is also a stereotype! I wear lipstick and I am blessed enough to be able to carry any shade but that does not mean I wear any colour , I wear what I am comfortable with and what compliments what I am wearing and the occasion . Oh yes lipstick has to be coordinated but not match a woman's attire . Your make up and what you wear has to by synchronised . Before anyone flies on their soap box matching is not the same as synchronising or complimenting and outfit. You can wear anything but get the lips right . So what's on offer for ladies of colour well a lot now, as many cosmetic companies local as well as international have FINALLY cottoned on to the fact that black women do buy make up! Yes we do have money to spend but why do we spend it on products that have no business being on our skin?

So in a nutshell lipstick is divided into finishes these are
Matte ,Satin(Creamy), Sheer,Liquid and Gloss
Each finish has shades or colours and I have found that regardless of skin tone you can carry any of the finesse as long as you apply the right shade. So yes anyone from golden to dark skin tones lets embrace what we have instead of emulating what we think we should be.
So how many ladies moisturise their lips on a day to day basis? How many are aware that the skin on our lips does get sun burnt and often very badly. So get the lip balms out and use them and it does not have to be expensive stuff, anything with Shea butter or beeswax is ideal avoid petroleum based products ( for the face , body or hair )
There is nothing wrong with lip liner but it has to match the shade of the lipstick not the obitiqious black.
The trick is prep the lips that is moisturise the lips daily and before applying lipstick especially matte lipstick without doing this , lipstick will feather - sink into the crack on the lips or further dry out the lips leaving a very unsightly state of affairs. Blend in the lip liner and lipstick using a lip brush then set the lipstick this way ieverytime your lips come into contact with anything there is no stain.
Baby powder and tissue paper are the cheapest option.
Once you have applied lipstick and you are ready to go apply a very minuscule amount of baby powder or translucent powder and dust over lips press lips together or using tissue ( 1 ply) put tissue between lips and press lips gently .

Ladies weather you like your lips bold or neutral the choice is yours but whatever your choice is wear it well and be proud of your skin tone and the choices you make just stay away from the the cliches and stereotypes of frosted lips and black lip liner

(1) (Reply)

Which Perfumes/body Spray/roll On Are You Using Right Now? / Classy Designer Dresses, Shoes And Bags For Sale! / deliver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.