Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,210 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? (21997 Views)

Chemical And Petroleum Engineering Software / Should I Major In Petroleum Engineering Or Chemical Engineering? / Is Marine Engineering A Good Course Espectially In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by kika41(m): 9:55am On Aug 26, 2013
[b][/b]
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by addictiv(m): 8:23pm On Aug 31, 2013
all engineering courses are good, however it depends on what you want. From my experience petroleum is the easiest of them all, and has its oil industry attraction, a very good course I must say with lesser stress
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by ITbomb(m): 1:51am On Sep 01, 2013
I studied Petroleum Engineering but . . . .
Before I conclude lets see the advantages and disadvantages.

1 Like

Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by ITbomb(m): 1:51am On Sep 01, 2013
Advantages.
1. Like the other guy said , Petroleum is a relatively easier course to study and get you 2.1
2. It has good attractions from the oil industry viz easy scholarships and meeting industry players in school (depends on school )
3. When employed , it takes a petroleum engineer just a year to make more money than any other disciplines in 5 to 10 years.

2 Likes

Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by ITbomb(m): 1:52am On Sep 01, 2013
Disadvantages
1. It is a very narrow discipline , when you finish school , if you are not employ in the oil industry you are pretty useless as you cannot start anything on you own based on the skills u had acquired. even if you wanna start anything , a single piece of equipment or software like Eclipse , Prosper , Perform , Hysy , Mbal etc could be very expensive. That is compared with disciplines like Elect Elect or Mechanical Engg.
2. Having said that , when you enter the oil industry , you find out that you are facing competitions from other disciplines especially Mechanical and Chemical Engineering. Those guys are easily called Petroleum engineers after 2 years on a production / Exploration operations. But these are the same people that will follow you and write Aptitude test for employment in oil company , the next day you see them writing another for a Construction company or fabrication company while you are stuck with on oil company offers.

4 Likes

Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by ITbomb(m): 1:53am On Sep 01, 2013
In other lands the training of petroleum engineers is a close collaboration between the oil industry and the institutions and they are exposed and guaranteed employment immediately after school but in Nigeria it is just an academic exercise as the oil companies are just waiting for the school to finish grading the graduates so that they take the ones they want and retrain them base on what they want them to do.

1 Like

Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by ITbomb(m): 1:55am On Sep 01, 2013
In my opinion the best courses for anyone wishing to work in an oil company are Mechanical and Chemical Engineering.
Others are Electrical/ Electronic and Civil Engineering.
. . . . but if you graduate as a petroleum engineer you could not get a job or the job around you is not good enough (like me) , then the best bet is to go into teaching or get an ICT Certification

1 Like

Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by ecolime(m): 5:20am On Sep 01, 2013
ITbomb: Disadvantages
1. It is a very narrow discipline , when you finish school , if you are not employ in the oil industry you are pretty useless as you cannot start anything on you own based on the skills u had acquired. even if you wanna start anything , a single piece of equipment or software like Eclipse , Prosper , Perform , Hysy , Mbal etc could be very expensive. That is compared with disciplines like Elect Elect or Mechanical Engg.
2. Having said that , when you enter the oil industry , you find out that you are facing competitions from other disciplines especially Mechanical and Chemical Engineering. Those guys are easily called Petroleum engineers after 2 years on a production / Exploration operations. But these are the same people that will follow you and write Aptitude test for employment in oil company , the next day you see them writing another for a Construction company or fabrication company while you are stuck with on oil company offers.
I concur absolutely
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by kika41(m): 9:27pm On Sep 03, 2013
Ohh...buh I thought petroleum engineers are more smarter than other engineers?
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by shakaz(m): 11:04am On Sep 04, 2013
kika41: Ohh...buh I thought petroleum engineers are more smarter than other engineers?
doubt if that is close to the truth. Petroleum Engineers are more of advance Geologist to me with little of Engineering principles. Just that the name seems pretty alluring as almost every Engineer wants to work in the petroleum industry, hereby making the course to attract brain and stiff competition. I believe same thing would happen if you take a sub-section of Electrical and Electronic Engineering called Telecomm Engineering,people would also rush for it with the sole aim of working for telecomm not knowing its to narrow...So my take is don't join the crowd know what you really want,and dont study a course with the sole aim of land in a particular industry.
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by kika41(m): 8:07am On Sep 05, 2013
But I believe that if +ne graduates as a first class petroleum engineer,your chances are very high..
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by walex2bad(m): 1:50pm On Sep 05, 2013
@ma oqaz, pls iz dere any difference btw Electrical Enqineerinq nd Electrical/Electronics Enqineerinq....? Nd which one has more job opportunities in a Niqeria..? Am jst xo confused.... Tanx...
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by lymelyte(m): 2:00am On Sep 06, 2013
T grin

1 Like

Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by lymelyte(m): 2:01am On Sep 06, 2013
ITbomb: In my opinion the best courses for anyone wishing to work in an oil company are Mechanical and Chemical Engineering.
Others are Electrical/ Electronic and Civil Engineering.
. . . . but if you graduate as a petroleum engineer you could not get a job or the job around you is not good enough (like me) , then the best bet is to go into teaching or get an ICT Certification
Let me also remind you guys that,"PRODUCTION ENGINEERING" IS also a very lucrative,stable and standout discipline that is a must in any engineering firm.
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by ITbomb(m): 1:26pm On Sep 06, 2013
lymelyte:
Let me also remind you guys that,"PRODUCTION ENGINEERING" IS also a very lucrative,stable and standout discipline that is a must in any engineering firm.
Depends on how the school offers it.
FUTO for instance offer it as part of Mechanical Engineering and you get into the Production core in your 3rd year after learning the basic Mechanical principles with others. More advantages.
The underlying essence is, do an all encompassing course. even if you narrow it down in your options, you can still be offer jobs anywhere. Eg. Do Electrical Electronics instead of Computer Engineering or Telecom, also Do Civil Engineering instead of Water or Building Engineering.

1 Like

Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by ITbomb(m): 1:29pm On Sep 06, 2013
walex2bad: @ma oqaz, pls iz dere any difference btw Electrical Enqineerinq nd Electrical/Electronics Enqineerinq....? Nd which one has more job opportunities in a Niqeria..? Am jst xo confused.... Tanx...
I would appreciate if you type in English

1 Like

Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by lymelyte(m): 1:46pm On Sep 06, 2013
[quote author=ITbomb]
Depends on how the school offers it.
FUTO for instance offer it as part of Mechanical Engineering and you get into the Production core in your 3rd year after learning the basic Mechanical principles with others. More advantages.
The underlying essence is, do an all encompassing course. even if you narrow it down in your options, you can still be offer jobs anywhere. Eg. Do Electrical Electronics instead of Computer Engineering or Telecom, also Do Civil Engineering instead of Water or Building Engineering.[/quote
] you are absolutely right bro.
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by walex2bad(m): 1:12am On Sep 08, 2013
ITbomb:
I would appreciate if you type in English
i mean iz there any difference btw electrical/electronic engineering and ordinary electrical engineering? Nd which one has more job opportunities in nigeria...Nd which iz well paid..Tanx..
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by ITbomb(m): 7:22am On Sep 08, 2013
@walex2bad
As I said, always go for the broader course which is Electrical /Electronic , later in your 3rd yr or so , you will narrow it down to either Electrical (also offered as Power systems) or Electronic or telecom or even Computer Engineering (and also Control and Instrumentation systems).
The advantage is that , to an employer , you have proficiency in all these instead of just Electrical engineering only .
Who has better pay? They are same in the same office
The difference is that for E/E (which is like a double honours degree) , you can work almost anywhere but 'ordinary' Electrical will allow you to apply for work only in Electrical or Power system companies.
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by walex2bad(m): 1:10pm On Sep 08, 2013
ITbomb: @walex2bad
As I said, always go for the broader course which is Electrical /Electronic , later in your 3rd yr or so , you will narrow it down to either Electrical (also offered as Power systems) or Electronic or telecom or even Computer Engineering (and also Control and Instrumentation systems).
The advantage is that , to an employer , you have proficiency in all these instead of just Electrical engineering only .
Who has better pay? They are same in the same office
The difference is that for E/E (which is like a double honours degree) , you can work almost anywhere but 'ordinary' Electrical will allow you to apply for work only in Electrical or Power system companies.
alrite.Tanx bro..
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by bonasera: 7:04pm On Oct 05, 2014
ITbomb:
Advantages.
1. Like the other guy said , Petroleum is a relatively easier course to study and get you 2.1
2. It has good attractions from the oil industry viz easy scholarships and meeting industry players in school (depends on school )
3. When employed , it takes a petroleum engineer just a year to make more money than any other disciplines in 5 to 10 years.
I absolutely disagree with this. I finished from the university of benin with a strong 2.1 and I have a lot of friends in other departments. In as much as the saying goes that no course is easy. Petroleum Engineering is one of the most arduous alongside mechanical. Good luck.
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by anachristo: 7:07pm On Apr 26, 2015
Pls i want 2 know between power and manufacturing option the one dat is best.
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by doublex: 9:04am On Oct 23, 2015
i think chemical engineering is better to study because it has a wider range of application which also includes petroleum industry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by UromOta(m): 8:55pm On Nov 29, 2015
what about systems engineering? Whats your say on that pls?
Re: Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? by Eje112: 3:41pm On Jun 05, 2018
Please I am presently studying oil and gas engineering in Russia, seeing this posts I am beginning to feel sad.

(1) (Reply)

Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? / what software should a young Civil/Structural Engineer learn? / Young Graduates: What's Your Creative Idea That Requires Funding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.