Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,741 members, 7,813,430 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:15 PM

University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... (1060 Views)

Anambra State University Exam Questions For Final Year Students / Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School / Two Final Year Students Of UNIABUJA Got Engaged At A Departmental Dinner ( PHOTO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Durchmann(m): 4:09pm On Aug 27, 2013
University Of Liberia Entrance Exams Failed By Every School Leaver Due To Poor English

A university in West Africa will be left without first-year students after not one school leaver in the country managed to pass its entrance exam due to a poor grasp of English, it has emerged.

Liberia's young people have had their dreams shattered, according to the BBC, while the country's education minister has likened the catastrophic failure to "mass murder".

Education Minister Etmonia David-Tarpeh told the BBC Focus on Africa programme she would be meeting with the University of Liberia's officials to discuss the failure rate.

"I know there are a lot of weaknesses in the schools but for a whole group of people to take exams and every single one of them to fail, I have my doubts about that," she said. "It's like mass murder."

The head of the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) John Gayflor confirmed the exam failed to produce a single successful candidate, according to news site All Africa. Around 25,000 students took the exams earlier this year.

The country's education was blighted by the two civil wars which plagued Liberia between 1989 and 2003. In 2010, the literacy rate stood at little more than 60%. Although education up to 16 years is compulsory, enforcement is lax and young people in rural villages have "no hope of ever stepping foot into a classroom" - according to the Liberia Education Project charity.

A spokesperson for the university, which is Liberia's largest and second oldest, told the BBC the university stood by its decision, and the fault lay with the government.

"In English, the mechanics of the language, they didn't know anything about it. So the government has to do something.

"The war has ended 10 years ago now. We have to put that behind us and become realistic."

Source: http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/3821231

1 Like

Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by JohnFrankling(m): 4:15pm On Aug 27, 2013
This is not good,war is not good
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Durchmann(m): 2:59pm On Aug 28, 2013
Imagine those folks who sat for the last jamb examinations and still didn't get admitted...

Dem for take them nah....

grin grin grin grin
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 28, 2013
After you go see them for BBA wan contest with Nigeria...

1 Like

Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 28, 2013

This is sexy!
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 28, 2013
too bad
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 28, 2013
Keneking: After you go see them for BBA wan contest with Nigeria...
Erm... Whats the correlation between exam failure and BBA?
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by BedLam: 3:48pm On Aug 28, 2013
lol ..

I love my country!
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Durchmann(m): 9:01pm On Aug 28, 2013
grin
idnoble135:
Erm... Whats the correlation between exam failure and BBA?

U go fear nah...
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by GeneralJ(m): 12:34am On Aug 29, 2013
SimonAndal:
This is sexy!

O boy you need mental help ohh, no be joke

1 Like

Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by slap1(m): 7:37am On Aug 29, 2013
Heck! Don't they do exam malpractice in Liberia?
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Durchmann(m): 11:16am On Aug 29, 2013
slap1: Heck! Don't they do exam malpractice in Liberia?

Like Special Exam Centres, abi?

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by dareyking(m): 11:22am On Aug 29, 2013
..Chaai!! Na him i dey here d prepare 4 pre-degree 4 Oau....Omo i 4 jst go their blast everytin then i become automatic educatin Minister....#Lobatan..

1 Like

Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Tolexander: 11:31am On Aug 29, 2013
Book, dem no know.
Expo. Dem no fit carry!

How dem no go fail?
That is why naija is the giant of africa!

1 Like

Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Durchmann(m): 11:57am On Aug 29, 2013
dareyking: ..Chaai!! Na him i dey here d prepare 4 pre-degree 4 Oau....Omo i 4 jst go their blast everytin then i become automatic educatin Minister....#Lobatan..

No time, bros...

Tolexander: Book, dem no know.
Expo. Dem no fit carry!

How dem no go fail?
That is why naija is the giant of africa!

Naija no dey carry last nah...
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Evestar200(f): 12:16pm On Aug 29, 2013
Nai those jambite they kill theirselves for naija,,omo see free admission center 4 liberia o
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Melancholy(m): 2:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
Latest-The president has intervened making sure large population of the student are given admission.
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by Durchmann(m): 2:34pm On Aug 29, 2013
Melancholy: Latest-The president has intervened making sure large population of the student are given admission.

Source please...
Re: University Of Liberia Will Have No First-year Students This Year... by passionate88: 4:49am On Aug 30, 2013
If na Nigeria, dm for dn port go private uni

(1) (Reply)

National Open University Of Nigeria.[noun] / Pls Help!!! / Can Pharmacy Graduates Be Unemployed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.