Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

What Is The Best Way For Nigeria To Do Business With Other Nations? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is The Best Way For Nigeria To Do Business With Other Nations? (1202 Views)

Emefiele Predicts Economic Boom For Nigeria In 2018 / Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria / Zip Codes For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Best Way For Nigeria To Do Business With Other Nations? by food4tot: 12:49pm On May 31, 2006
I've not done enough research on this but I think it would be nice if Nigeria does not tie her economy to some foreign national bank by not using Dollars or Pounds for her transactions.

I would hereby like to suggest a "trade by batter" instead.

Any suggestions?
Re: What Is The Best Way For Nigeria To Do Business With Other Nations? by Seun(m): 3:41pm On Jun 02, 2006
Yes, I have a question. Why should we not tie our trades with dollars or euros?
Re: What Is The Best Way For Nigeria To Do Business With Other Nations? by food4tot: 2:48pm On Jun 05, 2006
Because countries like US and UK are consumer countries. Their economy thrives on purchasing goods. How many products are made in UK or US? Why dont we trade with what we have: OIL (for example) to get the stuffs that we need.
Re: What Is The Best Way For Nigeria To Do Business With Other Nations? by Garuba(m): 8:46pm On Jun 05, 2006
"I'll give you 2 drums of oil for 5 return flights to london", that would be brilliant lol cheesy
Re: What Is The Best Way For Nigeria To Do Business With Other Nations? by food4tot: 12:54am On Jun 06, 2006
Or like, I will give you 300 million barrels within a year if you construct rail lines with network of 1000kms and 400 train stations within that year. (not necessarily the figures given but at least you can make a bargain).
Re: What Is The Best Way For Nigeria To Do Business With Other Nations? by Seun(m): 11:31am On Jun 06, 2006
The problem with your proposal is that countries don't actually trade with each other. Businesses do.

For example, a palm oil farmer posts an advert on the Internet and a soap company in South Africa chooses to buy the palm oil for manufacturing. Of course they trade in dollars, because that's the currency they both know about. The Nigerian farmer can immediately convert his dollars to naira to spend at home, or use it to import farm equipment!

So the government is hardly involved in import/export and that's a [url=http://good thing]good thing[/url]. Barter won't work, because it requires double coincidence of wants. A farmer that wants to exchange her palm oil for tractors, would need to find a soap factory that also manufactures tractors, way of determining the number of gallons of palm oil that should be exchanged for one tractor. This complicated process is eliminated by using a trusted common currency - the dollar!
Re: What Is The Best Way For Nigeria To Do Business With Other Nations? by food4tot: 10:18am On Jun 08, 2006
That is what you think. Countries take importation of Crude as a national issue. We have a trump card!!!

We are behind in a lot of areas, we need to catch up or jump the queue somehow. We need to think of a way that will take us away from handouts from the countries we do business with.
Re: What Is The Best Way For Nigeria To Do Business With Other Nations? by mkmyers45(m): 5:17pm On Jul 21, 2011
If Goverments makes that kind of take over wetin i go chop cry

(1) (Reply)

Small Business Loan Needed / How To Start Online Business / How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.