Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,213 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Champions League Predictions: Arsenal In Big Trouble - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Champions League Predictions: Arsenal In Big Trouble (651 Views)

Alex Iwobi At 7 Signed With Arsenal In 2002 (Photos) / Iran In Trouble For Fielding Men In A Female football Competition(photo) / Week 8 Premier League Predictions: BBC's Lawro V Former NFL Star Osi Umenyiora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Champions League Predictions: Arsenal In Big Trouble by owen4u(m): 9:19am On Aug 30, 2013
Well, every dog has its day, you know. This could be a refreshing change. For once, Arsenal would have to work to be recognised in this season's champions' league group stage. No question about that, Arsene Wenger must be fretting! And David Moyes? Well...

In GROUP A, Manchester United would start the post-Ferguson era with a sticky group stage!! Shakhtar Donetsk is a very dangerous team. But having lost Willian to Anzhi and Chelsea, Fernadinho to Manchester City and Milahahhhak (ok, no shame in my inability to spell the long name) to Borussia Dortmund, maybe they are not the team they used to be. That then means Bayer Leverkusen, who have started so well in the Bundesliga, could pose a greater threat. But what of a very vibrant Real Sociedad? Fact is, if Manchester United do not treat this with the seriousness it deserves, then Moyes could be in trouble. For me, Manchester United and Leverkusen could make it to the next stage.

In GROUP B, Carlo Ancelotti and his £100 million winger would have to get through Gianluigi Buffon and a compact Juventus team, a task which seems tough. He would also do well to know his former darlings from Turin have a very strong team, ready to pounce. Galatasaray would be waiting on the wings, should any of the two mess up, but Fatih Terim is experienced enough to know it would not be possible. All they have to do is struggle with FC Copenhagen for a place in the Europa League. Real Madrid and Juve to qualify, for me.

In GROUP C, Benfica and Paris St Germain (PSG) must be happy. They can expect to wipe the floor with Olympiakos and Anderlecht. That is a dangerous thing to say, but who cares? PSG and Benfica to make it to the next round, I am sure!

In GROUP D, FC Hollywood, that German team everyone loves to hate, would not be the centre of attraction. Manchester City would be. For once, they have a relatively easy group. CSKA Moscow and Viktoria Plzen are not teams to set pulses racing. I expect Bayern Munich to top the group, with Man City joining them. That would give everyone the opportunity to praise Manuel Pellegrini for getting City out of the group, and cuss out poor old Roberto Mancini for being bad. But even Mancini's sky blue scarf would tell us they were always in tough groups all year. Bottom-line, Bayern and City to qualify.

Chelsea have 'the happy one' back, and they would surely be happy with the way GROUP E has panned out. They have a tough task, I'm sure Mourinho would say, against an injury-ravaged, badly managed Schalke 04. And he may have a point. If this German team can do away with team gaffer Jens Keller, who does not inspire confidence, then they can give Chelsea a fight. But I cannot see anything but Chelsea topping this group. FC Basel and Steaua Bucuresti make up this mismatch. I expect Chelsea and Schalke to make it. Simple.

In GROUP F, Arsenal would be in an awkward situation. First, they have always been in easy groups. Then again, they have always qualified without a fight. Well, things have changed. They are in arguably the toughest group in this season's group stage. Marseille of France could be tough. That is the fact. But then Napoli, managed by a rejuvenated Rafa 'rant' Benitez, are dangerous. No wonder a certain Gonzalo Higuain elected to join a dwindling Italian league, and not the gunners. But if Arsenal can beat these teams, then wait for the German juggernauts Borussia Dortmund. They are here, guys. Now Arsenal would have to worry. I can say they are inexperienced here, no kidding. For me, Dortmund could and should make it. Arsenal would battle it out with Benitez and his rants. But if any of these people joke even for a second, FC Marseille would be waiting! That is how tough it is.

In GROUP G, FC Porto have once again been drawn in an easy group. Just like Arsenal, they always are. But wait a minute. Would you call an Atletico Madrid team, with a rampant Diego Costa and David Villa easy? You must be kidding me. And who would say a certain wealthy Russian club, Zenit St Petersbough, which boasts of Brazilian play-to-the-gallery striker, Hulk, is easy?? Now, that means I pity potential whipping boys Austria Vienna. However you look at it, I expect Atleti to qualify. Who joins them, between Porto and Zenit, we would wait to see.

In GROUP H, we see a group that promises a lot but would give so little. FC Barcelona have played AC Milan a thousand times in recent seasons. Now, we are bored of these repetitive tortures. Ajax do not possess the boldness to take advantage while Celtic would just make up the numbers. For me, this is just the weakest group...the most predictable, you may say. Barcelona and Milan to qualify.

Let the games begin!
Re: Champions League Predictions: Arsenal In Big Trouble by ashmanpolo: 10:02am On Aug 30, 2013
I need a machine to help me read this clusters mennnh
Re: Champions League Predictions: Arsenal In Big Trouble by owen4u(m): 11:10am On Aug 30, 2013
ashmanpolo: I need a machine to help me read this clusters mennnh

Modified for easy reading...

(1) (Reply)

Join People Who Make Money From Football And Other Sport / PHOTOS: John Terry’s Posh New Mansion Which Has Its Own Lake! / U-17 World Cup Final: David Mark Leads FG Delegationon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.