Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Top Ten Skills That Employers Want - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Top Ten Skills That Employers Want (20021 Views)

5 Basic Skills You Need To Get Your Dream Job (what Employers Want). / Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? / The 10 Skills That Will Get You Hired In 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by colonel20: 3:15pm On Aug 31, 2013
I came across this important list Top Employability list:

1. Verbal Communication - Able to express your ideas clearly and confidently in speech
2. Team Work - Work confidently within a group
3. Commercial Awareness - Understand the commercial realities affecting the organisation.
4. Analysis & Investigation - Gather information systematically to establish facts & principles. Problem solving.
5. Initiative/Self Motivation - Able to act on initiative, identify opportunities & proactive in putting forward ideas & solutions
6. Drive - Determination to get things done. Make things happen & constantly looking for better ways of doing things.
7. Written Communication - Able to express yourself clearly in writing
8. Planning & Organization - Able to plan activities & carry them through effectively
9. Flexibility - Adapt successfully to changing situations & environments
10. TIme Management - Manage time effectively, prioritising tasks and able to work to deadlines.

Source: http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/sk/top-ten-skills.htm

Here's mine: Self Confidence - Knowing your stuff & Believing you can do It.

Drop yours, let's share smiley

8 Likes

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 31, 2013
Mtchewwwwwwwwwwwwwww, Not in Nigeria were Connection is all that matters.

for females: just make sure you package properly, with willingness to grace the Bed of the Managers

A good Uni/College should include basic principles of customers service to their modules which will teach them all of those mentioned skills, but Nigeria own is very different.

12 Likes

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Jarus(m): 7:03pm On Aug 31, 2013
sg

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by lafuria1(m): 7:03pm On Aug 31, 2013
just unfortunate our universities do not train students on acquiring these skills. these are skills that every graduate should readily have.

nice.

3 Likes

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by manyathink(f): 7:04pm On Aug 31, 2013
Efficiency- using less to achieve more.
First to comment..dancing skelelewu
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Appliedmaths(m): 7:04pm On Aug 31, 2013
@ OP, u forget to add good looks man! 4 d ladies they need nice arse and bo#bs man. U digg? Na 9ja we dey ooo! grin
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by manyathink(f): 7:05pm On Aug 31, 2013
Bleep uppps
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by kilmix: 7:06pm On Aug 31, 2013
11. Connection

4 Likes

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Jarus(m): 7:06pm On Aug 31, 2013
Skills to retain you and not necessarily to hire you, because your proficiency in some of these may not be measurable until you're employed and begin to work.

However, I have seen people that are poor in verbal and written communication and still retain their job in Nigeria, due to other skills. I have worked with people that cannot speak three sentences without bomb, yet they keep their job becaus ethey are very effective in their their job. And I'm not talking about public sector o, Im talking about oil companies.

Overall, nice list.

9 Likes

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 31, 2013
manyathink: Efficiency- using less to achieve more.

dreamland shey..?
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Nobody: 7:09pm On Aug 31, 2013
Glining some things to add to my work belt and study how to use those points to make myself efficient in my work place. Thanks op

4 Likes

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 31, 2013
11.Forkking skills.
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by ITbomb(m): 7:11pm On Aug 31, 2013
Basic Computer / Office Suite knowledge
It is very frustrating when the IT guy is called from his hallowed cool chambers to help find a missing mouse pointer

3 Likes

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by slap1(m): 7:15pm On Aug 31, 2013
Una no go kill person with all these things.
With God, all things are possible for me.
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Madawaki01(m): 7:16pm On Aug 31, 2013
say afta me
.END TIME TINZ

8 Likes

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Infoay: 7:18pm On Aug 31, 2013
Thanks for all these. Just to add, honesty is still the best policy. Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 31, 2013
[size=66pt]Just 10?[/size]

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by alphaconde(m): 7:21pm On Aug 31, 2013
Lastly there must be jobs for you to qualify for. Let there be jobs, we will sure be qualified and show these skills
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by DonaldGenes(m): 7:21pm On Aug 31, 2013
I guess we Nigerians are quite used to or aware of this same narrative platitudes,one don't need to double-tell us, we all know
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Brimmie(m): 7:21pm On Aug 31, 2013
Thanks for this.
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Confusionist(m): 7:22pm On Aug 31, 2013
i biliv if u are wit a brain, u shld av modified this ur foolishness at the time u posted and had realised u did not even make the first three posters!
undecided
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by legendsilver(m): 7:23pm On Aug 31, 2013
@op, I agree wit u but in Naija shey these qualities matter? Cus me need job o!!!!!
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 31, 2013
Infoay: Thanks for all these. Just to add, honesty is still the best policy. Thanks!
[size=38pt]You remind me of those poems in kindergartens[/size]
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by olempe(m): 7:24pm On Aug 31, 2013
colonel20:

Gbam!
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by olempe(m): 7:24pm On Aug 31, 2013
legendsilver: @op, I agree wit u but in Naija shey these qualities matter? Cus me need job o!!!!!

Your time will surely come, in Jesus name.

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by ecolime(m): 7:25pm On Aug 31, 2013
Una no dey tire with all these "Ten commandments"?
If getting a job in Nigeria depends on these 10 key points, I won't still be roaming the job/vacancies section daily.

2 Likes

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by jerryben12: 7:26pm On Aug 31, 2013
colonel20: I came across this important list Top Employability list:

1. Verbal Communication - Able to express your ideas clearly and confidently in speech
2. Team Work - Work confidently within a group
3. Commercial Awareness - Understand the commercial realities affecting the organisation.
4. Analysis & Investigation - Gather information systematically to establish facts & principles. Problem solving.
5. Initiative/Self Motivation - Able to act on initiative, identify opportunities & proactive in putting forward ideas & solutions
6. Drive - Determination to get things done. Make things happen & constantly looking for better ways of doing things.
7. Written Communication - Able to express yourself clearly in writing
8. Planning & Organization - Able to plan activities & carry them through effectively
9. Flexibility - Adapt successfully to changing situations & environments
10. TIme Management - Manage time effectively, prioritising tasks and able to work to deadlines.

Source: http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/sk/top-ten-skills.htm

Drop yours, let's share smiley

In my work environment, we have been focusing on recruiting talents with innovative skills and passionate about what they bring to the table. Additionally, we look for fun individuals to spice up work. In summary, passion, innovation and fun should be added to the 10 skills listed. PIF

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 31, 2013
eddiebruk: Mtchewwwwwwwwwwwwwww, Not in Nigeria were Connection is all that matters.

for females: just make sure you package properly, with willingness to grace the Bed of the Managers

A good Uni/College should include basic principles of customers service to their modules which will teach them all of those mentioned skills, but Nigeria own is very different.
Balderdash!
No good coy wanting to project ahead will employ people only on nepotism, be it in Nigeria or elsewhere.
Stop spreading fallacies. Generalizing a personal experience can be misleading.

4 Likes

Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 31, 2013
[size=29pt]You are correctly wrong sir.[/size]
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Saraben(f): 7:30pm On Aug 31, 2013
Eyah sowie o,pele,sannu,indo,imma, all 4 you cos u r nt d first
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by miky(m): 7:32pm On Aug 31, 2013
eddiebruk: Mtchewwwwwwwwwwwwwww, Not in Nigeria were Connection is all that matters.

connection matters everywhere my friend..as a black man in the usa, it even matters more!!
Re: Top Ten Skills That Employers Want by Bryancrox(m): 7:32pm On Aug 31, 2013
11.Knw hw to operate computer.
12.Know oga at the top or be his relation
13.Pray well

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader / A Nairalander Bought Me A New Safety Boot / Worker Dies As Explosion Rocks Golden Penny Flour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.