Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Lagos International Classic 2013 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lagos International Classic 2013 (623 Views)

Lagos International Chess Classics 2014 / Japan Vs Nigeria (2 - 0): Int'l Women Friendly On Sunday September 22 2013 / Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lagos International Classic 2013 by ogonogo: 3:49am On Sep 01, 2013
Egypt’s Omar Assar won the Men’s Singles title at the inaugural Lagos International Classic on Saturday 31st August 2013 and thus prevented a clean sweep of titles by the host nation.

All other events saw players from Nigeria stand tall and proud on the top step of the medal podium when matters came to a conclusion.

In the contest that brought proceedings to a close, Omar Assar accounted for Nigeria’s Segun Toriola in six games (11-9, 11-4, 13-15, 6-11, 11-4, 11-9) to secure the title and maintain his ascendancy over the player who, for almost two decades, has carried the torch for Africa.

Ended All-African Games Incredible Run
Almost exactly two years ago, on Monday 12th September 2011 to be precise, at the quarter-final stage of the Men’s Singles event at the All African Games in the Mozambique capital city of Maputo, Omar Assar beat Segun Toriola in seven games (11-8, 12-14, 11-2, 6-11, 6-11, 11-9, 11-9).

It brought an incredible 16 year run of success to an end.

Segun Toriola had won the Men’s Singles title at the All Africa Games on an incredible four consecutive occasions – Harare (1995), Johannesburg (1999), Abiya (2003), Algeria (2007) – in Maputo he handed over the baton of office to Omar Assar who progressed to clinch the title at his first attempt.

Generation Game
In Maputo and in Lagos, it was success for the new generation; Omar Assar, who won no less than six Junior Boys’ Singles titles on the ITTF Junior Circuit and was twice runner up in the Finals, is just 22 years old. In less than three weeks’ time on Wednesday 18th September, Segun Toriola will celebrate his 39th birthday.

The wind of change is blowing through Africa; the source of the gale is Omar Assar.

Vote of Thanks
“I am happy that I became the champion in this tournament and it will go down in history; for me I am so excited coming to Nigeria to win the title”, said a delighted and grateful Omar Assar. “I thank the ATTF President, Khaled El-Salhy for facilitating my participation in the tournament; I enjoyed my stay in Nigeria and I hope to come back next year and also meet Toriola in the final.”

Appreciated Support
Defeat for Segun Toriola but it was a philosophical Nigerian and a player who accepted he has a worthy successor.

“I really wanted to win the title for the country and the fans but things just went the other way”, explained Segun Toriola. “There is no doubt that Egypt’s Assar played very well and he gave his best; for me, it was exciting making it to the final and I want to thank the fans for their steadfastness in supporting all the players, I hope to see more of such events being staged in Nigeria.”

Nigerian Gold
Defeat for Nigeria but in the Women’s Singles final completed earlier in the day it was gold and silver for the host nation.

Cecilia Otu-Akpan clinched the Women’s Singles title beating Offiong Edem in the final (9-11, 11-7, 11-6, 5-11, 11-9, 8-11, 11-9).

Notable Comeback
“I am so happy that I won this competition having been out of the game for years”, reflected Cecilia Otu-Akpan. “I give glory to God and I am so excited that we have having this kind of competition again in Nigeria; I hope we will have more in order to help the local players.”

Pleased for Country
A silver medal for Offiong Edem but like Segun Toriola she was not heartbroken.
“I am happy despite losing to my compatriot and I am so excited that the title remains in Nigeria”, she said. “I wanted to win the competition but my opponent really played very well and I am happy for her for this victory because she is coming back after a long time.”

All Host Nation Finals
Gold and silver in the Women’s Doubles event for the host nation; it was the same in the two remaining finals completed on the concluding day of action.

Olajide Omotayo secured the Junior Boys’ Singles crown overcoming Azeez Ogunlade at the final hurdle (11-9, 6-11, 11-7, 18-16, 11-6), whilst in the Junior Girls’ Singles final Esther Tosin Oribamise accounted for Alimot Ayinla (11-9, 11-3, 11-5, 11-4).

(1) (Reply)

The Best Betting Site In Nigeria For Popular Leagues In The World / Nigeria Football Referee / Man U

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.