Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,606 members, 7,955,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:07 PM

How Do You Overcome Procrastination? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Do You Overcome Procrastination? (896 Views)

Important Tips On How To Overcome Procrastination / The Best Way To Tackle Procrastination / How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Overcome Procrastination? by slap1(m): 5:45pm On Sep 04, 2013
Thanks for clicking this thread.

I find that I seem to have a proclivity to procrastinate a lot before I actually get down to do some things. I'm not lazy, but I tend to do other less important things instead.

I may be working on something (a short story or article, for instance) and just stop midway, even as the ideas develop and saturate my head. Instead, I surf the net, read novels or surrender to other 'trivialities'.

I'm tired of procrastinating. It has cost me things. What could be done to overcome it? Thanks!
Re: How Do You Overcome Procrastination? by carzola(m): 5:57pm On Sep 04, 2013
I thought i was the only one with this problem anyway let me follow this trend..
Re: How Do You Overcome Procrastination? by slap1(m): 3:17am On Sep 05, 2013
carzola: I thought i was the only one with this problem anyway let me follow this trend..
I feel so bad about it, I even had to pray that it stops.
Re: How Do You Overcome Procrastination? by Nickydrake(m): 6:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
It's quite simple, really. Each time I feel the urge to procrastinate, I simply put it off.
Re: How Do You Overcome Procrastination? by slap1(m): 6:41am On Sep 06, 2013
Nickydrake: It's quite simple, really. Each time I feel the urge to procrastinate, I simply put it off.
Just like that?
Re: How Do You Overcome Procrastination? by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 06, 2013
I always think ahead. If I don't do the work that's needed to done, I always think about the consequences. grin The consequences stop me from procrastinating.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Overcome Procrastination? by UjSizzle(f): 10:00am On Sep 06, 2013
You can become paranoid. Just think to yourself: If I don't do this now, something really bad could happen grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Overcome Procrastination? by Kslib(m): 12:08pm On Sep 06, 2013
Hmmmn!!! I should be given the title of the world's greatest procrastinator..lol. I procrastinate like mad..
I am fighting it,and so far so good,i'm am making progress..
You see,procrastination is not something, someone can just advice you on how to stop it with just words.. Its like an addiction;thesame way smokers find it hard to stop smoking,thesame way 'wankers',find it hard to stop wanking,the same way those addicted to coke,find it hard to stop consuming it..
It starts with you and you alone.. It's a mind thing...
Ok lemme tell you something that worked for me::::
1.. Follow a story/stories on NL:
You might say "how da hell is following a story/stories on NL related to the question i asked".. Well,personally,i dont like reading long stuffs,be it stories or whatever cos i was was mentally lazy to do so.. Anytime,i see any long story,article,all i just do is scroll down and pass..
I later discovered that 'mental laziness" has a very strong link with procrastination.. The moment i put this theory to test,and started following and reading stories written by writers on NL,i realized that i didnt procratinate no more,like i did in the past.. With time,i got used to it,and reading for a very long time,no longer was a problem to me.. I procrastinated less often,did what i said i would...
Like i said,it worked for me,and i dunno if it'll work for you though BUT trust me on this; Mental laziness plays a big to procrastination..
2.. Read long articles:
This is similar to reading stories just like i said up there,but reading articles is kinda different,slighly.. I couldn't believe myself,when i read an article from start to finish posted by @Ajibam, some days ago about a Xtian woman and her quest to change a muslim... Immediately i finished reading,i was like "olboy,you don change ooo","you don upgrade"...lol...
My point is; The less mentally lazy i became,the lesser i procrastinated.. It may not work for though,but it did for me.. Anytime i wanted to do something,and the thought of procrastination came to me,i was always be like "if i could do something new(eradicated mental laziness),they why shouldnt i do this now.. It served as a motivating factor to me, to change every old habit,including procrastination...
There are two types of procrastination.. The mental and the physical BUT they both, are related.. Once you break the chain of mental laziness,then trust me,you will also break the physical..
When you postpone things like visiting someone,going for shopping,washing clothes e..t..c,Always remember that "If you could do something new,something sweet(breaking the chain of mental laziness),then why cant you
do something new, by doing those physical tasks now..
I dunno about you though,but it worked for me....
Lastly,i also discovered that some people procrastinate cos of the fear of "being bored".. lemme give an example: I procrastinate watching movies atimes cos i know its the only movie left to watch. I dont wanna get bored when i have nothing else to watch.. I also procrastinate reading novels atimes,when i know its the last i have COS i dont wanna get bored when i finish it.. TO solve this is simple: All you have to do,is download another movie,go buy another novel so that you can be happy that after you finish watching this movie/reading this novel,there is another one to keep you busy/entertained....
@OP,sorry for the long post..lol
Lemme end by saying this "If your case,is that of being mentally lazy,just like mine,then trust me "those tips will work"... A good start will be to carefully read/enjoy that article @Ajibam posted from start to finish.. At first,it'll be hard BUT you'll get used to it..
Always remember this, when you want to procrastinate "If you can develop a new habit,by being less mentally lazy,then why cant you also develop a new habit by "chopping off procrastination"...
Another tip,is to remember something special you did.. i.e,something you dont normally do,that you did in the past and say to yourself "If i could do this thing i dont normally do,then why cant i also do something new by stopping procrastination"?
Ehen before i forget!!! Start doing little things like:
>>>> Eating lunch at the particular time you planned for..
>>>> Taking your bath at a particular time..
>>>> Meditating,even if its for 5minutes at the time you planned for it..
These may seem sttupid or look irelevant to you,But trust me,the moment you start keeping your word by doing little things at the exact time you planned for,that "commitment/i must do it and i did it mentality" WILL be planted to your subconscious and you'll start procrastinating less....
They worked for me and hope it works for you also.. Always remember that @kslib and many others broke the chain,so why should your case be diff?..
All izz well!
Re: How Do You Overcome Procrastination? by slap1(m): 7:13pm On Sep 06, 2013
^^
Wao! Thanks for your reply. I'm not mentally lazy (I think), but I will definitely work on some things you suggested. Thanks!
Re: How Do You Overcome Procrastination? by slap1(m): 7:14pm On Sep 06, 2013
Thanks, Ada and Uj. Uj, happy belated birthday to you!

(1) (Reply)

What Is D Most Embarrasing Moment Of Ur Life? / Interesting Facts Of Life / Benefits Of Having Multiple Accounts On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.