Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,999 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

I Am That Hawker - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Am That Hawker (630 Views)

Aunty Blessing And Boy Tobi (d Hawker) A Short Story / The Hawker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Am That Hawker by Nobody: 9:30pm On Sep 04, 2013
Everyday is another day to survive for me.
I am awake early every morning before the cock crows.
I know all the wholesale outlets in the market and they know me too.
I am the one who lives a life tied to the busy streets of almost all the states in Nigeria and beyond.
I carry back breaking goods around everyday, hoping that people like you, passing in your beautiful cars would see what I am selling and be interested enough to buy from me.
I am the one who runs after cars in a many a time failed attempt to sell to people.
The Scorching sun and harsh cold, heavy rains or humid weather do not stop me from staying alive.
I don't get to eat anytime I fall sick. This is because my survival is based on my daily gain.
I am that undergraduate, working myself through school, I am also that graduate who did not get a job after school.
I am that common man, woman, boy, girl, young and old. That you see every time you go out. Dressed in sweat stained and obviously old clothes.
Just two days ago, a friend of mine got knocked down and killed by a truck and while I was running, my goods fell down and a fast passing car destroyed them. I was very sad this week but I was not discouraged.
If I must eat, then I must continue with this.
I do not care what people say or think about me, whatever I do, I do to survive. What ever I earn, helps to sustain the family.
This is the life that condition has made me choose or you could say it is the life that has chosen me.
I may be here for a long time or perhaps I may not. Things could get better for me or still they could get worse.
I do not know tomorrow, all I know is now.
I am a partaker of the daily chance that life gives.
I am that hawker you see on the streets. For more intresting and real articles like this, visit http://pentasticsione..com you would not regret it...

1 Like

Re: I Am That Hawker by Daniel2802(m): 5:49pm On Sep 05, 2013
Waoh 1st to comment.that's a nice poem u have here.
Re: I Am That Hawker by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 01, 2013
Oh thank you very much

(1) (Reply)

Behold: 15-year Old Author Emerges! / I Need Your Votes To Win At The Etisalat Flash Fiction Competition. / World War Poem (2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.