Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us (1196 Views)

CHAN 2016: Nigeria Vs Guinea (0 - 1) On 26th January 2016 / Nigeria Vs Sudan: Afcon Qualifiers (3 - 1) On 15th October 2014 / Nigeria Vs Malawi - FIFA WCQ: (2 - 0) On 7th September 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by datChelseaBoy: 9:54am On Sep 06, 2013
On Saturday, the Super Eagles of Nigeria, who are the reigning champions of African football, will lock horns with the Tom Sainfiet-tutored Flames of Malawi. The match billed to take place at the UJ Esuene stadium in Calabar kicks off at about 4 o’clock in the afternoon.

This is not just a match between the most feared football team in the whole of Africa and a soccer nonentity from Southern Africa; it is a make or mar match which will seal Nigeria’s fate as it concerns the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Should the Super Eagles do the unthinkably unforgivable and lose the match against the Flames, there would be no Green-White-Green flags flying in stadiums across Brazil. The Nigerian anthem wouldn’t be sung and fans from the Nigeria Football Supporters’ Club would have to follow proceedings over there from the comfort (or discomfort) of their homes or settle for seats at crowded viewing centers scattered across the country.

But no-one expects them to flop against lightweights such as Malawi. Not in this competition at least. If the match ends in a draw, the Eagles would be through. The same holds true if they manage to secure a victory. But no-one expects them to “manage” to beat the Flames, however. Such countries should be brushed aside with ease and the margin of victory should not be less convincing.

Nigerians, however, have learnt from history not to expect much from the much-beloved Super Eagles which is right about the only thing that brings an Igbo man, a Hausa man and a Yoruba man together under the same roof for a good course. History has taught us veritable lessons and keeping our expectations low when it comes to the Super Eagles is one that Nigerians have learnt particularly well.

Ask the average Nigerian on the streets about what he thinks the goal margin will be in the match and he will beat his chest and gladly say that Malawi is going down by nothing less than a 3-goal margin. But deep down inside of him he knows well enough that one is not to expect Christmas in September from the Super Eagles.

Be that as it may, nothing less than an outright victory would do. Not even a draw is enough for us – the teeming Super Eagles fans all over the country and beyond. Anything short of a victory would stir up quite a storm within and outside Nigeria and raise questions about the team’s preparedness for the forthcoming soccer fiesta in Brazil which is barely 9 months away.

http://observerreports.com/2013/09/nigeria-vs-brazil-might-expect-history/
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by lexyman(m): 11:13am On Sep 06, 2013
You started well , but u flopped just at the middle of this ur epistle , u bastardized the whole write up by been negative about our dearest eagle .

Gone are the days when Eagles let their fan down .. You can see the changes in the team , it"s so glaring ! The spirit is high and the competition is high among the players . Don"t be myopic to see the stages of development in the National team . I am not saying the Malawians are push over , but they "re not "a match " for d super eagle , now that we have a better squad .
You will have to re-write the history before the World Cup in Brazil .2014

My prediction is 4:0 As u done make me vex .

Eagles will quench the flame of Malawi !
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by JMOI: 11:17am On Sep 06, 2013
lexyman: You started well , but u flopped just at the middle of this ur epistle , u bastardized the whole write up by been negative about our dearest eagle .

Gone are the days when Eagles let their fan down .. You can see the changes in the team , it"s so glaring ! The spirit is high and the competition is high among the players . Don"t be myopic to see the stages of development in the National team . I am not saying the Malawians are push over , but they "re not "a match " for d super eagle , now that we have a better squad .

My prediction is 4:0 As u done make me vex .

Eagles will quench the flame of Malawi !

Hahaha, let Mr. OP be na. How are you sure he was the one that wrote that piece? Anyway, what he said is correct in a way. Nigeria does not perform when you want them to and they perform when you don't expect them to. I don't expect much from them tomorrow. A 1-0 or 2-1 victory will be ok by me.
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by lexyman(m): 11:35am On Sep 06, 2013
JMOI:

Hahaha, let Mr. OP be na. How are you sure he was the one that wrote that piece? Anyway, what he said is correct in a way. Nigeria does not perform when you want them to and they perform when you don't expect them to. I don't expect much from them tomorrow. A 1-0 or 2-1 victory will be ok by me.

Even if he had copied and pasted it , he has room to modify the piece to suit the present form of super eagle ... What has been missing in the super eagles of the past after the USA 94 squad is the team spirit and coach , player relationship ,as well as discipline . Which Keshi is still working on ,to an extent there is team spirit among the players and this is the catalyst that has keep them going . The present super eagles is getting better . They will give us their best come Saturday .
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by JMOI: 2:34pm On Sep 06, 2013
lexyman:

Even if he had copied and pasted it , he has room to modify the piece to suit the present form of super eagle ... What has been missing in the super eagles of the past after the USA 94 squad is the team spirit and coach , player relationship ,as well as discipline . Which Keshi is still working on ,to an extent there is team spirit among the players and this is the catalyst that has keep them going . The present super eagles is getting better . They will give us their best come Saturday .
That's if we fix our attack. Our attackers are impotent in front of the goal.
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by lexyman(m): 8:54pm On Sep 06, 2013
Our attack will do well , we have 3 new attacking forward been introduced into the team , the likes ok Uche Nwofor (the two goal scorer against the bafana bafana boys ) Obinna Nsofor , Shola ameobi , ... Shola has not done well , but I will tell you that in the attack we have somany able legs and the competition is very ...Keshi has more options . I believe they will deliver .0
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by JMOI: 9:58pm On Sep 06, 2013
lexyman: Our attack will do well , we have 3 new attacking forward been introduced into the team , the likes ok Uche Nwofor (the two goal scorer against the bafana bafana boys ) Obinna Nsofor , Shola ameobi , ... Shola has not done well , but I will tell you that in the attack we have somany able legs and the competition is very ...Keshi has more options . I believe they will deliver .0
I pray we beat dem very comfortably, but if we manage to beat them like the OP said, I hope you'll be here to defend your actions.
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by lexyman(m): 10:53pm On Sep 06, 2013
Well , I will be here to defend eagles qualify for the 2014 mundial ...
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by lebest: 11:33pm On Sep 06, 2013
Arsenal really surprise me on this, however i just hope he performs.
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by JMOI: 10:19am On Sep 07, 2013
lebest: Arsenal really surprise me on this, however i just hope he performs.
Arsenal? Huh!
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by lexyman(m): 11:30am On Sep 07, 2013
[quote author=JMOI]Arsenal? Huh![/quo

Don"t mind the black dude !(in Stven Keshi's voice) he 's tryn to derail d thread ...
Eagles all the way!!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by JMOI: 2:41pm On Sep 07, 2013
[quote author=lexyman][/quote]Eagles all the way! 4-0 to the Super Eagles!
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by JMOI: 6:09pm On Sep 07, 2013
2-0; 2 goals less than I predicted. How did you see the match?
Re: Nigeria Vs Malawi: What History Has Taught Us by lexyman(m): 7:18pm On Sep 07, 2013
It was a fantastic game , I'm really impressed ... The Malawian keeper stopped the remaining goals from going in ...the super Eagles will play better when they meet a stronger team ...

(1) (Reply)

How Floyd Mayweather Ordered £1.5m Bugatti In 12 Hours From Nigerian Dealer / Premier League Fixtures Today / Jay Jay Okocha - The Worlds Greatest (watch Amazing Videos & Download)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.