Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,234 members, 7,860,495 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:40 AM

Rebranding Nigeria: The Police Is Our Problem - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Rebranding Nigeria: The Police Is Our Problem (671 Views)

The Nigerian Police Is A Disgrace To The Highest Order. / How Is Nigeria The Second Happiest Country In The World.? / Rebranding Nigeria: Kaita And Abdumutallab. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rebranding Nigeria: The Police Is Our Problem by hammedkola(m): 12:36pm On Sep 06, 2013
The public will continue to call the leaders corrupt until something is done to prove the public wrong.

If the country is to be rebranded, then it starts from the government. The government must have to take the first step then the people can follow. Whoever says rebranding should start from the citizens may not really understand the relationship between Leaders and Followers. It is natural that Leaders are to be followed.

Many still want to know what the Mrs Rebranding rebranded during the Rebranding campaign. The only new thing Nigerians saw/heard was Great people, great nation. We could have added it to the name Nigeria peacefully without noise instead wasting public funds in a campaign that even worsened the situation.

Telling the public to begin the rebranding in their various homes and businesses wasn't a bad idea, but what happens to the picture of THE GOVERNMENT IS CORRUPT that "resides" in the minds of the people? The people need more than orientation lectures or speeches to repent of 'evil'.. They need to be motivated by the people who are leading them.

Even if the Presidency, the governors, the ministers and others that makes up the goverment are no more corrupt, and have stopped looting public funds, the public can never be convinced because there is one arm of government that is closest to the public that is growing more corrupt by the day.

If the president is not corrupt, nobody knows; If the ministers are not corrupt, nobody knows; If the governors are no more corrupt, nobody knows.. because these people and their daily duties are very far from the knowledge of the public. In my little understanding of the goverment, there is an arm of it which is nearest to the public and that is the Executives in which we have the Police.

The police, in my opinion, are the "criminals" we are always locking our gates and buglary proofs against. The Police does mid-day robbery and live extortion without their conscience pricking. They are licenced criminals (It was someone who said this). If you have had an experiance with the police, or seen where the Nigerian Police exhibited their "duty", you would agree with the proposal. (Of course, it's freedom of speech)

Now my point is the government that we all see is the Police. Until the police is rebranded, the government is still corrupt. Every educated and non educated will listen to anyone who comes up with a speech preaching change, if they see change in the enviroment where they live. In every cranies of every residence, we have the police representing the government.

From a very reliable source, the policemen and policewomen who stand on the road are sent by their bosses and they are there to make an amount of money they gave them as 'Target'. The Police high authorities are aware of the daily policemen and policewomen extortion from motor drivers - both commercial and privates. They are also aware of the public harrasment of citizens and the "robbery" that follows thus. If the DPOs are aware, then the State Comissioners are aware. And since the highest rank in the state level knows about the extortion, then the Federal Inspector General share a common knowledge.

They get to resort centers and harrass lovers having fun and force them to let go some amount lest they take them to the nearest Police station. The most recent I witnessed was the argument between them and an educated young man who insisted that they should tell him his offence and their reply was PUBLIC NUISANCE. That was funny to me.

The Police is now a government tool of Income. The Police have misplaced their priorities. The security in the country is a mess.

What amazes me is that it is not the policeman that gets this 'blood' money, it is actually his "TARGET" for the day he's trying to reach, given to him by his superiors. The question then is, why is this so? Since the goverment knows about this and can't stop it, what is the money for? Is it being taken in place of TAX? One wonders why the paying of Tax is not made compulsory in this country. This is how it comes from my little mind.

The Police is the government that is closest to the people, let the police be worked on. I'm asking whom it may concern, Can we get the police out of the road for good? If they are to be on the road, let it be for special cases and extortion should be erased. That may be the way forward.

In the present situation of the country, One can confidently conclude thus: No Police, No Corruption. Imagine a Nigeria without a corrupt Police. The people will begin believe in whatever the government calls a vision. People will give support to the government because they've released them from the greatest problem Nigeria has.

God Bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Rebranding Nigeria: The Police Is Our Problem by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 06, 2013
Police? Hmmm. Terrible people they are. Just pray not to be their victim else you'll regret the day your mom gave birth to you.

1 Like

Re: Rebranding Nigeria: The Police Is Our Problem by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 06, 2013
Police? Hmmm. Terrible people they are. Just pray not to be their victim else you'll regret the day your mom gave birth to you. Even when you are innocent they would not show mercy. I am speaking out of my personal experience with them. How can I forget that ugly night with them. Just wish they will improve then Nigeria would be fair.

(1) (Reply)

Miraculous Escape- Container Crushes Car, Driver Unhurt / Kidnappers Strikes Yet Again In Benin City, Edo State. / Mysterious Messages At Hackneymarshes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.