Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness (7956 Views)

Check Out House In Tinubu Area Of Lagos Wia Slaves Were Tortured In 18th Century / 10th Century Great Wall Of Kano And Associated Structures / Igbos Of Nigeria By British Missionaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by Nobody: 9:57pm On Sep 09, 2013
samstradam: @ Radoillo

How is this tied up with current/ancient Igbo beliefs?

Well, igbos associate the High God with the Sun, that's for sure. He is sometimes called. Anyanwu na Agbala (ie the Sun and the Source of all fertilty). That could be what he meant by 'live in the sun).

The High God has no priests to make sacrifices to it. Only a few igbo communities are known for making sacrifices to The High God. So once could say 'God neither eats no drink'.

Its the part about tying a belt and smoking a pipe that is puzzling. And even funny! All I can say is Olauda was too young to understand the cosmology of his people. He probably added some 'fireside stories' to the description of his people's ritual system.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by bigfrancis21: 10:11pm On Sep 09, 2013
Radoillo:

Well, igbos associate the High God with the Sun, that's for sure. He is sometimes called. Anyanwu na Agbala (ie the Sun and the Source of all fertilty). That could be what he meant by 'live in the sun).

The High God has no priests to make sacrifices to it. Only a few igbo communities are known for making sacrifices to The High God. So once could say 'God neither eats no drink'.

Its the part about tying a belt and smoking a pipe that is puzzling. And even funny! All I can say is Olauda was too young to understand the cosmology of his people. He probably added some 'fireside stories' to the description of his people's ritual system.

Another thing you're forgetting here is that the Igbo people are a very dynamic people, changing and adopting easily to their environment. Olaudah described the manners and customs of the Igbo people(remember this was 1745!) that were practised long before Christianity came and changed everything. Christianity was introduced to Igboland which the Igbo people wholly embraced and within a space a century, Igboland underwent a tremendous change. If Olaudah(who died in his 50s) had lived to make it back to Igboland maybe in his 70s, he would have been shocked to see the differences in practices that had taken place since he left as a child. His being 70 years would equal to the year 1815(1745+70), which already by that time the Christianity had already been introduced.

Given the dynamicity of the Igbo people, one should not compare modern Igbo norms with those of old times because a lot has changed. When I mean a lot, I mean a lot.

A typical example would be the story of Okonkwo in Chinua Achebe's 'Things fall apart', a literature book showcasing the turn of events in Igboland following the introduction of Christianity, where Okonkwo who was sent on exile for 5 years returned only to discover that a lot had changed since he left.

1 Like

Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by Nobody: 10:28pm On Sep 09, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Another thing you're forgetting here is that the Igbo people are a very dynamic people, changing and adopting easily to their environment. Olaudah described the manners and customs of the Igbo people(remember this was 1745!) that were practised long before Christianity came and changed everything. Christianity was introduced to Igboland which the Igbo people wholly embraced and within a space a century, Igboland underwent a tremendous change. If Olaudah(who died in his 50s) had lived to make it back to Igboland maybe in his 70s, he would have been shocked to see the differences in practices that had taken place since he left as a child. His being 70 years would equal to the year 1815(1745+70), which already by that time the Christianity had already been introduced.

Given the dynamicity of the Igbo people, one should not compare modern Igbo norms with those of old times because a lot has changed. When I mean a lot, I mean a lot.

A typical example would be the story of Okonkwo in Chinua Achebe's 'Things fall apart', a literature book showcasing the turn of events in Igboland following the introduction of Christianity, where Okonkwo who was sent on exile for 5 years returned only to discover that a lot had changed since he left.

Exactly...I made a point about cultural dynamism, and how much Igbo customs could have changed between 1750 and 1900.

On a lighter note though, Igbos call God "Chukwu Okike" (God the Creator). Change some tones and Chukwu Okike comes out as "God of Tying". Could it be that young Equiano got things mixed up, hence the part about tying a belt? grin

1 Like

Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by samstradam: 1:32am On Sep 10, 2013
Radoillo:

Thanks.

I'm still curious though. What aspects of the culture he described are more Edoid than Igbo?

Again, I cannot claim for another tribe, my default position remains "He was not born in Africa", simple.

But when he starts mentioning east of the Bini empire, tribal marks, the warlikenss of his people, their weaponry, he watching his mother in battle (reminds me of Queen Idia) etc........ I associate this with Edoid people, especially ethnicities subjugated by them in the ND not Igbos. FOR the sake of bigFrancislike people, I do not believe he was Ijaw or anything like that, I believe he borrowed storys, words and an identity from real slaves born in Africa (Igbos, Edoid etc):

samstradam: Unfortunately, personally I continue to share the view (that other scholars do to) that this man was a fake. The reason is that which such an apt recollection, especially at this time, we should easily be able to fully identify his ethnicity with both the etymology and cultural descriptions he wrote down those many years ago.[/b] Everytime I read his so called recollections, it just sounds like he cherry picked something from all the major ethnicities in coastal west Africa. It seems like mumblings, incoherent hearsays from real life slaves he probablly lived with while he was serving with them.[/b]

I do not think this man was Igbo (his customs sound more Edoid) let alone Nigerian. He just seems like a good story teller to me.

Anyway nice "tying up" of the Diety thing Radoillo, but its funny how you say we should give allowances for his inaccuracies (pointing out his age) yet you clutch on the same straws supplied by this 11 year old to make your argument that he is Igbo. Funnily the only prominent Nigerian deity I know that is associated with smoking a pipe is Esu- who also has his like and adherents in Edo culture.

And on a lighter note, I am posting a picture of Equiano next to his true mother, our warrior Queen Idia:

Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by samstradam: 1:51am On Sep 10, 2013
BTW, are you contradicting yourself here?

Radoillo:

Olaudah said the strangers who came to trade in their village were called 'Oye-Eboe' and means 'red men trading at a distance'. Before the 20th century, an Igbo-speaking stranger was derogatively called 'onye Igbo' by his host Igbo-speaking community. (That was before 'Igbo' came to be accepted as a generic name for all who speak related Igbo dialects).

So are you saying a typical Nri man captured from his village in lets say the 18th century would have not identified himself as Igbo, let alone the Province of Igbo, but from his village- just like a typical Ijebuman captured at that time would not have described himself as Yoruba?
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by PhysicsQED(m): 2:59am On Sep 10, 2013
@ Samstradam

Equiano was not Edo. I don't see where you're getting that idea from. The text makes it quite clear that he was Igbo.

The "ichi" marks that some Igbos had and which Equiano directly referenced by name are not the same as the Edo tribal marks by any means - they look quite different. The ichi marks were many small lines/grooves all over the forehead in diagonal and vertical patterns, while the Edo tribal marks were generally a few small marks above each of the eyebrows. The two big vertical marks which one can see on the queen Idia mask and on several other pieces of art from Benin are not depictions of tribal marks but an artistic emphasis/exaggeration of the two biggest creases/lines in the area between one's eyebrows when a person makes a very serious expression on their face. The purpose of those marks in the art was to show that the person represented was a determined/serious person.

Having fights, skirmishes, or full-blown wars, etc. was not exclusive to any ethnic group in the past, and with the likely exception of queen Idia, women generally did not take part in actual physical combat in the past among the Bini - at least there's no evidence of that which I know of.

Esu was never considered the main God or creator God of the Edo or any other group in Nigeria. Wherever that "pipe smoking god as the supreme deity" idea came from, it's doubtful that it was obtained from an Edo person.

1 Like

Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by bigfrancis21: 3:09am On Sep 10, 2013
LOL!!! Nairaland! A place where people thrive in fantasy dreaming! grin

@Radoillo...I fugo ife anwa m na-agwa gi? O nwero ife I mekata, ka nwoke m a kwete na Ola bu Onye Igbo. N'uche nghafu ya, Ola bu onye Edo.

The very same person who claimed before that Olaudah wasn't Nigerian but a story teller! Now, he's claiming Olauda as an Edo.

samstradam:
Unfortunately, personally I
continue to share the view (that other scholars do
to) that this man was a fake. The reason is that
which such an apt recollection, especially at this
time, we should easily be able to fully identify his
ethnicity with both the etymology and cultural
descriptions he wrote down those many years ago.
Everytime I read his so called recollections, it
just sounds like he cherry picked something from
all the major ethnicities in coastal west Africa. It
seems like mumblings, incoherent hearsays from
real life slaves he probablly lived with while he
was serving with them.

I do not think this man was Igbo (his customs
sound more Edoid) let alone Nigerian. He just
seems like a good story teller to me.

The Bini Kingdom never sold any of their own. Its clear this boy here knows absolutely nothing about the transatlantic slave trade.

I got something for you below. This is an article written by an Edo son himself, Naiwu Osahon, concerning the Edo people and Atlantic Slave Trade.

Edo Warrior Kingdom Opposed Atlantic Slave Trade

By Naiwu Osahon

Although over 30 per cent (about a third) of the
Atlantic Slave Trade took place in the territory under
Edo control, the Bight of Benin region of West Africa, the territory was too vast for the kingdom to police on a day by day and minute by minute basis, to prevent the trade. It was taboo, however, to capture or sell an Edo citizen and because the kingdom reasonably monitored this well, the African Diaspora has no concentration of Edo citizen slaves. Edo Chiefs had thousands of slaves captured in their territorial expansion wars but would not sell any. The Edo belief and saying was: "What level of hunger and deprivation would make an Edo Chief sell his slaves?" Rather than sell, Edo Chiefs helped thousands of slaves to escape from White holding camps in Edo territory. In fact, Edo Oba Eresoyen was shot at in his palace by a White slave merchant because he refused to help with the re-capture of escapee slaves from the White merchant's holding camps, hiding in Edo Chiefs farms in Edo kingdom. European slave trade in West Africa started with the acquisition of domestic servants in 1522, and warrior kingdoms like Edo (Benin) had plenty of them captured as war booties, but would not sell them. The slave trade was very unpopular with the Edo people. They thought it was silly to sell fellow human beings. Their Obas and nobles were vehemently opposed to the business of slave trade and to the export of the productive fighting male. The Edo, of course, could not control the day to day happenings of the slave merchants, who apparently largely acted under cover at first in the vast territories under Edo hegemony. However, it was forbidden to sell or take a native Edo (Bini) into slavery and so elaborate identification
marks on faces and chests were eventually contrived. The Bini, therefore, were hardly ever captured by Arabs or Europeans into slavery.

Oba Ehengbuda (1578 - 1604 CE.) Ehengbuda
ascended his father's throne in 1578 CE. While his
father, Oba Orhogbua, might be considered a water
warrior who made his greatest impact in the lagoon
territories, Oba Ehengbuda campaigned mainly on
land in the Yoruba areas. All the warrior Obas, most times, personally led their troops to war. Oba Ehengbuda, while prosecuting his military activities in the Akure area, sustained burns which healed to leave scars on his body. This was systematized in the Iwu body marks which every Edo adult had to acquire to be able to participate in royal and court activities of the land. The markings also served to identify the Edo person for protection during the slave trade. Strong efforts were made to prevent Edo people from being sold into slavery. Edo
people openly and actively encouraged and facilitated the escape of slaves from the holding
centres in the kingdom and particularly from the
Ughoton port.

Alan Ryder, writing on this in his book: Benin and the European, narrated the experience of the Portuguese merchant, Machin Fernandes in Benin as early as 1522: That was during the reign of Oba Esigie.

"Of the whole cargo of 83 slaves bought by Machin
Fernandes, only two were males - and it is quite
possible that these were acquired outside the Oba's
territory - despite a whole month (at Ughoton) spent in vain attempts to have a market opened for male slaves. The 81 females, mostly between ten and twenty years of age, were purchased in Benin City between 25 June and 8 August at the rate of one, two or three a day."
None of the 83 slaves was an Edo person, according to Ryder, and no Edo person could have been involved in the sales. It was taboo in Edo culture.

Edo Empire was vast, with a great concentration of people from different ethnic backgrounds, Yoruba, Ibo, Itsekiri, Ijaw, Urhobo, Igalla etc., making a living in the lucrative Ughoton route that was the main centre of commercial activities in the southern area at the time, of what later became Nigeria.

http://www.edoworld.net/Edo_Warrior_Kingdom_Opposed_Atlantic_Slave_Trade.html

This is a write up by a well-researched scholar of Edo ancestry. Notice he mentioned that the Bini never sold any of their own, and that the Bight of Benin was vast covering Ibo land too. A portuguese slave Master, Machin Fernandez, who bought 83 slaves at Benin also confirmed that there were no Edo people among the 83 slaves he bought.

Once again, Olaudah Ikwuano of blessed memory has been proved to be 100% right 213 years after his death.

Nwa Awka...a tupukwana nwoke m a onu ozo! I kwesili ighota na ndi kpolu anyi asi ebe a erika. Fa ka nku ebe a. Ma ndi na-enwero ofu mkpulu uche.

I ka batalu ofuu, I ga-afukwa ife a m na-agwa gi.

1 Like

Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by PhysicsQED(m): 3:14am On Sep 10, 2013
Edit: I see the typo was corrected, so no need for this comment now.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by samstradam: 5:41am On Sep 10, 2013
PhysicsQED: @ Samstradam

Equiano was not Edo. I don't see where you're getting that idea from. The text makes it quite clear that he was Igbo.

The "ichi" marks that some Igbos had and which Equiano directly referenced by name are not the same as the Edo tribal marks by any means - they look quite different. The ichi marks were many small lines/grooves all over the forehead in diagonal and vertical patterns, while the Edo tribal marks were generally a few small marks above each of the eyebrows. The two big vertical marks which one can see on the queen Idia mask and on several other pieces of art from Benin are not depictions of tribal marks but an artistic emphasis/exaggeration of the two biggest creases/lines in the area between one's eyebrows when a person makes a very serious expression on their face. The purpose of those marks in the art was to show that the person represented was a determined/serious person.

Having fights, skirmishes, or full-blown wars, etc. was not exclusive to any ethnic group in the past, and with the likely exception of queen Idia, women generally did not take part in actual physical combat in the past among the Bini - at least there's no evidence of that which I know of.

Esu was never considered the main God or creator God of the Edo or any other group in Nigeria. Wherever that "pipe smoking god as the supreme deity" idea came from, it's doubtful that it was obtained from an Edo person.

Thank you PhysicsQED for coming to tell me everything I already knew! I don't know how many times I have to repeat this, but we seem to be struggling with English in this section- so I will try this line by line

I am not trying to argue he was Edo, Igbo, Hausa or any other tribe native to Nigeria
For now I continue believe he was born in South Carolina as he stated pre fame
My argument has remained that his story of being born in Igbodom seems inconsistent based on his descriptions of his early life
I believe that to be a myth thus why I keep pointing out the inconsistencies with generally recognised Igbo tradition and customs- pointing out that I see things Edoid in his descriptions goes with my theory (and that of others) that he formed his best selling biography from the account of various slaves (from different cultures)
Simple

So far only Radoillo has given me helpful responses and actually put doubt in my mind that this man's descriptions were majorly consistent with Igbo culture/history and not my theory (of an assortment of cultures) by actually considering my actual objections and not the Myth that I said he was Edoid when I have repetitively made my stance on his African birth clear.

I will forgive you Physics this time, but back to the question I actually asked you- how did the Bini empire refer to the Igbos? Was it with the same name , I mean were they all grouped under one nomenclator in one province as Equiano suggests at that time?

Ichi marks below

Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by PhysicsQED(m): 6:22am On Sep 10, 2013
^

Yes, you did not state that Equiano was Edo or Edoid, you only implied that much of the culture that he was describing was in some way Edoid. I misread you there.

I read where you stated that some scholars believe he was born in South Carolina and I was already well aware of this theory, but I did not comment on that because I don't have much interest in his background. I commented on the scarification, the issue of women fighting in wars, and the religious stuff only because you kept referencing this stuff as being "Edoid" based on the description, because of a few misconceptions you had.

I don't have any interest in whether he was or was not from South Carolina, but you should probably refrain from centering much of your argument about his true background on what you think does or does not seem Edoid.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by Nobody: 6:23am On Sep 10, 2013
samstradam: BTW, are you contradicting yourself here?

So are you saying a typical Nri man captured from his village in lets say the 18th century would have not identified himself as Igbo, let alone the Province of Igbo, but from his village- just like a typical Ijebuman captured at that time would not have described himself as Yoruba?

No contradiction there, pal. Igbos of the 18th century living in Igboland did not self-identify as Igbo. The igbo identity grew in diaspora where slaves from various parts of Igboland met and recognized their commonalities and subsumed it under one label 'Igbo' or 'Eboe' (By the way, though the igbos didn't call themselves Igbo, their neighbours DID call them that). A man who has accepted that label (Eboe) would look back and say he was born in 'Igboland" (what he called the province of Eboe). In Sierra Leone (19th century), Koelle and Schon studied igbo language with Igbo ex-slaves. Most of these slaves self-identified as Igbos, but some admitted they never heard that word used in their homeland.

Equiano telling us they called some strange men from faraway 'Oye-Eboe (Onye Igbo) fits with what I know to be the precolonial usage of the word 'Igbo' within Igboland.

If you say he constructed his biography from stories he heard from Edos and Igbos, you should be able to at least show Edoisms in his work. You keep mentioning the marks on his forehead; and I find it surprising you didn't know that Northern and Western Igbos made such marks on their head until some 60 - 70 years ago. I once saw the marks of an old man in Nimo, Anambra State. Google ichi marks, mehn.

Are u also saying Edo women fought battles? Queen Idia took to the field in person? I thought it was a slave (male slave) of the queen who fought on her mistress's behalf.

A boy who left his society when he was eleven would grow to forget a lot of things. No one said his memory would be completely wiped off. I really don't see how I contradicted myself there.

You have obviously decided to accept he wasn't born Igbo. Cool. Scholars disagree. But note, he started calling himself Eboe long before he wrote his story. There are letters that show he did. So one can't claim he assumed igboness just to tell a story.

There's a ring of consistency in that work that gives it an air of authenticity. I won't go into that. I feel it will be time wasting. But if his story was based solely on bits and pieces he picked up in the new world, I would expect the book to be much more jumbled than it is. I maintain there's an INNER CONSISTENCY in that work that I just can't dismiss.

Vincent has done a good work showing us that OLauda once said he was born in Carolina (there are good reasons why a slave would claim American birth). As a free man he claimed igbo birth (Why would he do that? Igbos weren't the most liked Africans in the New World. Why didn't he claim Mande or Akan or Kongo). Why are some scholars more inclined to accept the Carolina story and disregard the Igbo story?

2 Likes

Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by Nobody: 6:26am On Sep 10, 2013
oh. I see u already googled ichi. Sorry, my bad. I was probably typing while u were at it.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by PhysicsQED(m): 6:52am On Sep 10, 2013
Radoillo:
Are u also saying Edo women fought battles? Queen Idia took to the field in person? I thought it was a slave (male slave) of the queen who fought on her mistress's behalf.

This account comes from Egharevba's most important publication (A Short History) where he mentions that she sent troops from Uselu, captained by her head slave, to fight in a very important war. Egharevba is rightly held in high esteem by the Edo (and some non-Edo) for his lifelong work recording Edo history, culture, customs, etc., but one of the minor drawbacks of his work, is that there are occasional (infrequent) issues of consistency. Egharevba actually made it clear in another publication that she took part in direct combat, was a warrior, and he quoted an Edo praise song about Queen Idia that extolled her as a warrior. What one believes in that regard would probably depend on what particular account of Egharevba's one chooses to go with - he may have obtained differing accounts and decided that they were both worth recording since one could be true instead of the other.

But you are correct that Edo women did not fight in battles generally, even if one accepts that Idia did. Samstradam's assumption that women fighting in battles was a particularly "Edoid" cultural characteristic doesn't seem to have a basis to me.

2 Likes

Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by bigfrancis21: 8:03am On Sep 10, 2013
PhysicsQED: Edit: I see the typo was corrected, so no need for this comment now.

Yea. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by bigfrancis21: 8:17am On Sep 10, 2013
@Radoillo, PhysicsQED

It is quite clear that during the slave trade, the 2 areas where slaves were purchased from Nigeria are Bight of Bonny and Bight of Benin. Now it is generally accepted that Igbo/Ibibio slaves came from Bight of Bonny(which included Bonny port and Calabar Port) while Yoruba, Fon, Ewe slaves came from Bight of Benin(Lagos port, Whydah etc).

From the evidence below, it is clear that the Edo did not sell their own and a slave merchant recorded that he bought 83 slaves in Benin city. Bight of Benin was noted to be under Edo control and the Edo empire covered not just Edo land, but Ibo, Yoruba, Urhobo, Ijaw, Igala lands. Asking deeper, those 83 slaves purchased in Benin city, what tribes could they have belonged to? What ethnicities comprised of the 83 people?

Since the Edo empire covered parts of Ibo land, is it also likely that some Ibos were among the 83 slaves purchased in Benin city?

If that's the case, then Ibo slaves were not only taken from the Bight of Bonny. A small percentage could have also been smuggled out from the Bight of Benin.

What are your thoughts on this?

[quote]
Alan Ryder, writing on this in his book: Benin and
the European, narrated the experience of the
Portuguese merchant, Machin Fernandes in Benin
as early as 1522: That was during the reign of Oba
Esigie.
"Of the whole cargo of 83 slaves bought by Machin
Fernandes, only two were males - and it is quite
possible that these were acquired outside the
Oba's territory - despite a whole month (at Ughoton) spent in vain attempts to have a market opened for male slaves. The 81 females, mostly between ten and twenty years of age, were purchased in Benin City between 25 June and 8 August at the rate of one, two or three a day."
None of the 83 slaves was an Edo person, according to Ryder, and no Edo person could have been involved in the sales. It was taboo in Edo culture. Edo Empire was vast, with a great concentration of people from different ethnic backgrounds, Yoruba, Ibo, Itsekiri, Ijaw, Urhobo, Igalla etc., making a living in the lucrative Ughoton route that was the main centre of commercial activities in the southern area at the time, of what later became Nigeria.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 10, 2013
bigfrancis21: @Radoillo, PhysicsQED

It is quite clear that during the slave trade, the 2 areas where slaves were purchased from Nigeria are Bight of Bonny and Bight of Benin. Now it is generally accepted that Igbo/Ibibio slaves came from Bight of Bonny(which included Bonny port and Calabar Port) while Yoruba, Fon, Ewe slaves came from Bight of Benin(Lagos port, Whydah etc).

From the evidence below, it is clear that the Edo did not sell their own and a slave merchant recorded that he bought 83 slaves in Benin city. Bight of Benin was noted to be under Edo control and the Edo empire covered not just Edo land, but Ibo, Yoruba, Urhobo, Ijaw, Igala lands. Asking deeper, those 83 slaves purchased in Benin city, what tribes could they have belonged to? What ethnicities comprised of the 83 people?

Since the Edo empire covered parts of Ibo land, is it also likely that some Ibos were among the 83 slaves purchased in Benin city?

If that's the case, then Ibo slaves were not only taken from the Bight of Bonny. A small percentage could have also been smuggled out from the Bight of Benin.

Some Isoko and Urhobo (who speak languages belonging to the Edoid family)were probably sold through Itsekiri. There numbers however must have been very small. Apart from a 16th century document which mentioned a slave girl called 'Sobo' (Urhobo?) I haven't come across any reference to Edo or Edoid-speaking slaves in the New World. Physics may know more about this than me. But, if Olaudah pieced his biography from stories he heard in the Americas, I really don't see Edo coming into that picture.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by PhysicsQED(m): 8:32am On Sep 10, 2013
bigfrancis21: @Radoillo, PhysicsQED

It's possible. However, the references I came across mentioning slaves in Benin where the ethnicity is actually specified only mention the Urhobo. And these are only references to certain slaves that were kept within the kingdom. I haven't seen the specific ethnicity of any of the slaves that were sold mentioned in any documents.

I don't know with any certainty what the exact ethnic composition of the slaves that were being sold was so I can't really give a detailed or satisfactory answer on this issue.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 10, 2013
We shouldn't forget the role played by Aboh in Bight-of-Benin slave trade. Aboh had trade contacts with Brass and Itsekiri and sold slaves to both peoples. Aboh obtained some of their slaves from their wars with groups like Ogba, Ossomari, Asaba, Anam etc (all igbo-speaking groups). But the major source of Aboh's slaves was the Igala kingdom. Igala obtained the majority of the slaves she sold to Aboh from Nsukka area of Enugu State (again Igbo-speaking). But of course a smaller number of slaves came from farther north: Nupe, Hausa, Idoma, Tiv, even Bornu.

It is quite possible that a larger number of Igbos and Yorubas were sold from the Bight of Benin than Edos.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 10, 2013
bigfrancis21:

grin grin

Apparently, the post is too long to be quoted by mobile phone users browsing nairaland. That's why no one has done so yet! grin
ok nah.
Ka mu chebezianu ndi ji laptop ene browsing.
Ihe mu ma bu, onye quotuo ihe ahu niile, o hu na uguru na-atu oyi.
Ma e gosi ya ihe di iche na nkita igbo na nkita onyibo.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by bigfrancis21: 7:47pm On Sep 10, 2013
ngozievergreen:
ok nah.
Ka mu chebezianu ndi ji laptop ene browsing.
Ihe mu ma bu, onye quotuo ihe ahu niile, o hu na uguru na-atu oyi.
Ma e gosi ya ihe di iche na nkita igbo na nkita onyibo.

grin grin
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by ChrisEsq: 6:43pm On Dec 17, 2016

Some scholars believe 'Essaka' is actually 'Isseke', a town in Anambra state. And there are some details which support that he came from that general area (ie central Igboland, not too far north, not too far south.

As for whether Olaudah's Eboe is actually today's Igbo, I think Olauda himself left enough linguistic information for us to assert that it is one and the same people.

Olaudah said his people called year Aa-affoe. Igbos today still call year 'Afo'.

Olaudah said his name means'...loud voice...'. 'Loud voice in today's Igbo is 'Oluuda'.

Olaudah said the men who were in charge of the calendar in his village were called 'Aa-ffoe way-cah' or 'yearly men'. Aaffoe waycah is clearly 'Afo nwoke'. That's not d way a modern Igbo would say it, but the words are clearly Igbo.

Olaudah said the strangers who came to trade in their village were called 'Oye-Eboe' and means 'red men trading at a distance'. Before the 20th century, an Igbo-speaking stranger was derogatively called 'onye Igbo' by his host Igbo-speaking community. (That was before 'Igbo' came to be accepted as a generic name for all who speak related Igbo dialects).

My point is, there's no doubt that Olaudah's Eboe are ethnologically and geographically the same as the modern Igbo people.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by bigfrancis21: 11:28am On Dec 20, 2016
[quote author=ChrisEsq post=52019677][/quote]

Ahfoe wayca is actually 'afor nwa ika', for ancient 'yearly men' who were noted for their short height. That's what Olaudah meant by 'ah foe waycah'.

'oye-eboe' he meant 'oyibo'. Among igbos today, 'oyibo' is pronounced like 'oyiibo', the middle 'i' is extended. My guess is Olaudah spelt it as exactly as it was pronounced. He also gave the meaning as 'red-skinned...' thus referring to the 'oyibo' as we know it today. further more, 'onye igbo' when used by certain clans to describe others isn't often due to 'skin color', but rather as a matter of ancestry.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by ChrisEsq: 5:54pm On Dec 20, 2016
He said his name meant loud-voice.... Olu-voice udah... Loud. Oluuda ikwuano... It was a misspelling. Not olauda. E. g. olu gi na da udah... Your voice is loud.
bigfrancis21:

Ahfoe wayca is actually 'afor nwa ika', for ancient 'yearly men' who were noted for their short height. That's what Olaudah meant by 'ah foe waycah'.

'oye-eboe' he meant 'oyibo'. Among igbos today, 'oyibo' is pronounced like 'oyiibo', the middle 'i' is extended. My guess is Olaudah spelt it as exactly as it was pronounced. He also gave the meaning as 'red-skinned...' thus referring to the 'oyibo' as we know it today. further more, 'onye igbo' when used by certain clans to describe others isn't often due to 'skin color', but rather as a matter of ancestry.
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by ChrisEsq: 6:08pm On Dec 20, 2016
Someone said his name meant 'loud voice' Olu means voice and Udah means loud. Oluuda Ikwuano. Olauda is a misspelling. The man was ibo please no need to argue.

No contradiction there, pal. Igbos of the 18th century living in Igboland did not self-identify as Igbo. The igbo identity grew in diaspora where slaves from various parts of Igboland met and recognized their commonalities and subsumed it under one label 'Igbo' or 'Eboe' (By the way, though the igbos didn't call themselves Igbo, their neighbours DID call them that). A man who has accepted that label (Eboe) would look back and say he was born in 'Igboland" (what he called the province of Eboe). In Sierra Leone (19th century), Koelle and Schon studied igbo language with Igbo ex-slaves. Most of these slaves self-identified as Igbos, but some admitted they never heard that word used in their homeland.

Equiano telling us they called some strange men from faraway 'Oye-Eboe (Onye Igbo) fits with what I know to be the precolonial usage of the word 'Igbo' within Igboland.

If you say he constructed his biography from stories he heard from Edos and Igbos, you should be able to at least show Edoisms in his work. You keep mentioning the marks on his forehead; and I find it surprising you didn't know that Northern and Western Igbos made such marks on their head until some 60 - 70 years ago. I once saw the marks of an old man in Nimo, Anambra State. Google ichi marks, mehn.

A boy who left his society when he was eleven would grow to forget a lot of things. No one said his memory would be completely wiped off. I really don't see how I contradicted myself there.

You have obviously decided to accept he wasn't born Igbo. Cool. Scholars disagree. But note, he started calling himself Eboe long before he wrote his story. There are letters that show he did. So one can't claim he assumed igboness just to tell a story.

There's a ring of consistency in that work that gives it an air of authenticity. I won't go into that. I feel it will be time wasting. But if his story was based solely on bits and pieces he picked up in the new world, I would expect the book to be much more jumbled than it is. I maintain there's an INNER CONSISTENCY in that work that I just can't dismiss.

Vincent has done a good work showing us that OLauda once said he was born in Carolina (there are good reasons why a slave would claim American birth). As a free man he claimed igbo birth (Why would he do that? Igbos weren't the most liked Africans in the New World. Why didn't he claim Mande or Akan or Kongo). Why are some scholars more inclined to accept the Carolina story and disregard the Igbo story?
Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by ChrisEsq: 6:15pm On Dec 20, 2016
Next time someone argues about ibos and sun worship show them the biafran flag

Re: A Description Of 18th Century Nigeria - By A Nigerian Eyewitness by MayorofLagos(m): 5:48am On Dec 21, 2016
I hate to encounter dummies who received academic tutoring but it has not produced any significant measure of enlightenement in their spirit, they remain dark after spending fifteen or more years in a classroom.

Rossikk, you are one big dumb@ss.

Was Olaudah a Nigerian?
Did he ever mention anything Nigeria?

Mod, im not going to modify my statement. Go ahead and ban me for violation calling this dummy what he is. angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who/what Is Baban Chinedu? / Names Of Different Animals In Igbo Language / Igbo Romance Dictionary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.