Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,027 members, 7,814,508 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? (1228 Views)

Which Came First...christianity Or Islam? / Bishop Oyedepo To Muslim Sister : “Convert To Christianity Or Die Poor,” / The Fastest Growing Religion In The World - Christianity Or Islam ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 08, 2013

1 Like

Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by Freiburger(m): 9:57am On Sep 08, 2013
^Even if the bible spoke about long suffering, i personaly understand that as the patience we should exercise during the time of crisis, while avoiding doing the otherwise. Hebrews 2:10 For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering. at the same time, the bible never encouraged laziness as today's pastors will say ''leave all you are doing behind, come to my church 3-4times a week, and the God of Elijah will provide for you'' that is an exact opposite of what the bible mean't with long suffering.

3 Likes

Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 08, 2013
Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:21am On Sep 08, 2013
Freiburger: ^Even if the bible spoke about long suffering, i personaly understand that as the patience we should exercise during the time of crisis, while avoiding doing the otherwise. Hebrews 2:10 For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering. at the same time, the bible never encouraged laziness as today's pastors will say ''leave all you are doing behind, come to my church 3-4times a week, and the God of Elijah will provide for you'' that is an exact opposite of what the bible mean't with long suffering.

Fela comes to mind.....suffering and smiling

1 Like

Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 07, 2014
Nonso23: MY OPINION IS ONE AMONG MILLIONS BUT STILL ITS AN OPINION NONETHELESS.... I BELIEVE THE INTEGRAL PORTION LACKING IN XTIANITY IS OUR BELIEF THAT SUFFERING IS NOT OUR PORTION..MAYBE BECAUSE WE ARE MISLED BY PASTORS OR SOMETHING... I DUNNO BUT I GUESS ALL I'M TRYING TO SAY IS ... MY OPINION IS IN SUPPORT OF THE ABOVE...
Really like your question especially the part I bolded...I have been a CEC member for about 10 years and it's only just about resently that CONCRETE teaching on CHALLENGES and TOUGH TIMES have been taught... undecided
I have learnt not to base my CONVICTIONS on what MAN teaches but to try and find out what EXACTLY does the WORD say...and it has been a blessing and AN AWAKENING for me personally...

1 Like

Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by mbaemeka(m): 4:58pm On Jul 07, 2014
The real question is: what is suffering according to the bible?

Freiburger: ^Even if the bible spoke about long suffering, i personaly understand that as the patience we should exercise during the time of crisis, while avoiding doing the otherwise. Hebrews 2:10 For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering. at the same time, the bible never encouraged laziness as today's pastors will say ''leave all you are doing behind, come to my church 3-4times a week, and the God of Elijah will provide for you'' that is an exact opposite of what the bible mean't with long suffering.

The scripture you quoted says it was fitting for GOD to make JESUS perfect through suffering. Why did God make Jesus suffer? To make us suffer like Jesus or did Jesus do the suffering for us?

The answer still lies in the definition of suffering. If by suffering you mean falling in and out of sickness, Praying and receiving no answers, failing in school, business, life etc. Dying, being broke, scraping through life and so on. Then no christian is destined to suffer. But if you are referring to persecution for the Gospel sake. Being rejected for your faith, family turning on you etc then that one is mandatory and Jesus told us so.
Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by Candour(m): 6:05pm On Jul 07, 2014
Suffering is not necessarily a part of Christianity as much as its a fact of living in a fallen world.

Boko haram in the north of Nigeria affects Christians, Muslims, pagans and atheists. Tsunami, earthquakes and other natural disasters is the lot of Christians and others in south east Asia. The effects of global warming can be felt the world over. Until the plan of redemption culminates in the millennial reign, these things will continue and even increase.

That said, being a Christian in this sinful and corrupt world comes with its challenges. You lose contracts or jobs because you refuse to bribe or sleep with the boss.You're singled out for victimization because you refused to be part of the fraud syndicate in the office. You miss a 'fine marriage' match because you refuse to sleep with the guy before tying the knot etc.

These are some of the things that could afflict a christian but we are to persevere and not be deterred. We are enjoined to remain steadfast and immoveable. We are enjoined to take our requests to God who called us

Philippians 4:6-7 KJV
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. [7] And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Paul admonished us thus

Philippians 2:14-15 KJV
Do all things without murmurings and disputings: [15] That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

Peter also said

1 Peter 2:11-12 KJV
Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; [12] Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Finally we should remember

Hebrews 13:5 KJV
Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

3 Likes

Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jul 07, 2014
@mbaemeka: Nice input...
Let me add:Speaking and Standing for what is right and people turning against you,victimizing you or trying to shut you up.
Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 07, 2014
Candour: Suffering is not necessarily a part of Christianity as much as its a fact of living in a fallen world.
This is soo POWERFUL... MADE MY DAY!!! smiley
Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 07, 2014
Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by Nobody: 12:27am On Jul 09, 2014
If only our biggest/most popular Pastor's/Ministers preach these truths...EVERYTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN SOO MUCH BETTER AND EASIER instead of preaching UNREALITIES THAT MAY CAUSE YOU TO SHOUT AND SCREAM about what the WORD does not say and mean and then you begin to wonder why things didn't go as they were said in Church...SMH cry
Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by Candour(m): 1:31am On Jul 09, 2014
Xsolutions: If only our biggest/most popular Pastor's/Ministers preach these truths...EVERYTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN SOO MUCH BETTER AND EASIER instead of preaching UNREALITIES THAT MAY CAUSE YOU TO SHOUT AND SCREAM about what the WORD does not say and mean and then you begin to wonder why things didn't go as they were said in Church...SMH cry

Very true
Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by nlMediator: 5:38am On Jul 09, 2014
Candour: Suffering is not necessarily a part of Christianity as much as its a fact of living in a fallen world.
Boko haram in the north of Nigeria affects Christians, Muslims, pagans and atheists. Tsunami, earthquakes and other natural disasters is the lot of Christians and others in south east Asia. The effects of global warming can be felt the world over. Until the plan of redemption culminates in the millennial reign, these things will continue and even increase.
That said, being a Christian in this sinful and corrupt world comes with its challenges. You lose contracts or jobs because you refuse to bribe or sleep with the boss.You're singled out for victimization because you refused to be part of the fraud syndicate in the office. You miss a 'fine marriage' match because you refuse to sleep with the guy before tying the knot etc.
These are some of the things that could afflict a christian but we are to persevere and not be deterred. We are enjoined to remain steadfast and immoveable. We are enjoined to take our requests to God who called us
Philippians 4:6-7 KJV
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. [7] And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Paul admonished us thus
Philippians 2:14-15 KJV
Do all things without murmurings and disputings: [15] That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

Peter also said
1 Peter 2:11-12 KJV
Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; [12] Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Finally we should remember
Hebrews 13:5 KJV
Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Excellent! You surprised me here!!

Hoping to contribute tomorrow, God willing.
Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by Candour(m): 11:22am On Jul 09, 2014
nlMediator:

Excellent! You surprised me here!!

Hoping to contribute tomorrow, God willing.

Really??

If indeed I surprised you, then it's my turn to be surprised.

@the bolded, so you believe God can will otherwise? Interesting!!

2 Likes

Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by shdemidemi(m): 2:18pm On Jul 09, 2014
Suffering is relative to individuals, it is defined by the society. In actual fact, everyone in the world is suffering. If we have to look at this life deeply, we would realize how discontent we as a people are because nothing satisfies our deepest desires, our deepest desires are insatiable; they are inconsolable, indelible because NOTHING SATISFIES but we live in denial refusing to admit the level of our discontentment. OUR DESIRES ARE DEEPER THAN WE THINK. In God's eyes every one on the face of the earth is suffering, the world was reduced to vanity so we can hope for that better place promised by Christ.

The one who has God as their HOPE will have a firm assurance through the witness of the Holy Spirit, that Christ has promised a better world to those who are His. This HOPE therefore should sustain us through the trials of faith, human tragedies or difficulties and sufferings that may otherwise seem overwhelming. HOPE is the anchor of our soul and as Paul put it, Jesus is the HOPE of glory; this HOPE will not disappoint.

SUFFERING IS DEFINITELY PART OF THE CHRISTIAN WALK.....

2 Likes

Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by nlMediator: 3:16pm On Jul 09, 2014
Candour:
Really??
If indeed I surprised you, then it's my turn to be surprised.
@the bolded, so you believe God can will otherwise? Interesting!!

Ha ha ha! Of course, God's will can be contrary to ours. And sometimes we either do not know it or do know it but want to do something different. I thought I've said that in many words on this forum? If you know where I've stated or suggested otherwise, please point me to it.

Also, what we should not do is use "God willing" or "if it be Thy will" in prayer. Especially where the will of God is known (e.g healing) or where we are praying in faith. You'll not see that taught or practiced anywhere among New Testament folks. Such insertion tends to nullify faith. If you're not sure of what God's will is before you ask for it (e.g particular job), go to God in prayer first and ascertain His will.
Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by Candour(m): 3:31pm On Jul 09, 2014
nlMediator:

Ha ha ha! Of course, God's will can be contrary to ours. And sometimes we either do not know it or do know it but want to do something different. I thought I've said that in many words on this forum? If you know where I've stated or suggested otherwise, please point me to it.

@the bolded, .....and God can sometimes force us back like he did Jonah on the issue of Nineveh. Jonah had no choice in the matter. If he had tried to run again after the whale saga, maybe na Lion for swallow am next. God wanted Nineveh preached to and Jonah must do it , shikenan.

Anyway, I'm glad you and I are on same page here.

Also, what we should not do is use "God willing" or "if it be Thy will" in prayer. Especially where the will of God is known (e.g healing) or where we are praying in faith. You'll not see that taught or practiced anywhere among New Testament folks. Such insertion tends to nullify faith. If you're not sure of what God's will is before you ask for it (e.g particular job), go to God in prayer first and ascertain His will.

Hmmm. Thoughtful

1 Like

Re: Is Suffering Part Of Christianity Or Not??? by makasimatics(m): 1:57pm On Dec 12, 2014
Yes,it is. This is because, the ways of Christ in the world is full of agony

(1) (Reply)

Story Of Jesus Christ Was 'fabricated To Pacify The Poor' / Please, Men Of God Here I Need Your Urgent HELP!!! / Is There A Difference Between "Going To" Churchand Being The Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.