Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,747 members, 7,820,577 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems (2695 Views)

Automatics / PLEASE ADVICE ME ON THE PROBLEMS OF 1998. 1999, 2000 MODEL OF HONDA CRV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:51pm On Sep 08, 2013
based on what i have observed here it seems like automatics are the most common type of transmission and on average poor trained or self taught mechanics are damaging these gearbox through trail and era.

Most cars seems like are comming from a america, which favours automatic transmission that the manual one, i know that some prefer america simply becoz there is no need to convert the dashboard and steering wheel but why not get from european countries that are right handed and have manual transmission

you hear the mechanics blaming the ECU for a none ECU issue, what do you expect when you get an automatics s/he has 2 ECUs to deal with and more sensors to deal with, have read phrase like "the ECU is powerfull or less powerfull"
"changing from single to double" "changing from 14 to 10 pin " "changing from ECU based to carburrtor" or changing from automatic to manual

a manual would be better to deal with for such poor trained and self taught
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 08, 2013
in fact...changing from injector to electronic carburetor then they said to manual carburetor...yet to recover from my bad financial judgement
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by Ikenna351(m): 7:01pm On Sep 08, 2013
@ ZIM DRILL,

I think you really don't get it. It's a mindset thing bro.

Nigeria is a country where a Nigerian will tell you "You are poor, thats why you couldn't afford auto trans car" or " You bought a manual trans car because you couldn't afford auto trans car". Yes, i get these a lot. Some have even asked me "If Peugeot had produced 505 V6 auto trans car, wouldn't you have gone for auto trans of the car instead of the manual trans i bought?" I would wonder in silence, " If 505 didn't get auto tranny, how come 404 got?"

I met someone the other day who bought a Peugeot 406 auto trans. While congratulating him, he told me the 406 is "American specc". I asked him who told him that, he said it was the car dealer that sold the car to him. I couldn't help but wonder if there is Canada and USA in Europe i do not know of. Things we do to sell our cars!

Some will tell you they prefer American spec cars since they come with airbags everywhere in the car, while Euro spec cars come with only 2 or 3 airbags. Yet, the death on our highways have not reduced.

When people are ready to replace their auto trans severally before they get rid their cars, what can you do? When people are scared to travel with their auto trans cars, simply because of fear the trans may decide to give up while into the journey.

Thank God that the brand of car i like sells in Europe, meaning, i will always get the manual version of any of their products am interested in.

But then, there is nothing wrong with auto transmission. But one should be ready to live with it's annoyances or deal with it.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:42pm On Sep 08, 2013
Ikenna351: @ ZIM DRILL,

I think you really don't get it. It's a mindset thing bro.

Nigeria is a country where a Nigerian will tell you "You are poor, thats why you couldn't afford auto trans car" or " You bought a manual trans car because you couldn't afford auto trans car". Yes, i get these a lot. Some have even asked me "If Peugeot had produced 505 V6 auto trans car, wouldn't you have gone for auto trans of the car instead of the manual trans i bought?" I would wonder in silence, " If 505 didn't get auto tranny, how come 404 got?"

I met someone the other day who bought a Peugeot 406 auto trans. While congratulating him, he told me the 406 is "American specc". I asked him who told him that, he said it was the car dealers that sold the car to him. I couldn't help but wonder if there is Canada and USA in Europe i do not know of. Things we do to sell our cars!

Some will tell you they prefer American spec cars since they come with airbags everywhere in the car, while Euro spec cars come with only 2 or 3 airbags. Yet, the death on our highways have not reduced.

When people are ready to replace their auto trans severally before they get rid their cars, what can you do? When people are scared to travel with their auto trans cars, simply because of fear the trans may decide to give up while into the journey.

Thank God that the brand of car i like sells in Europe, meaning, i will always get the manual version of any of their products am interested in.

But then, there is nothing wrong with auto transmission. But one should be ready to live with it's annoyances or deal with it.

Ikenna.

so tell me what is the ratio auto to manual on average
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by baaliyah(m): 7:42pm On Sep 08, 2013
For me it is choice, if you like manual trans stick to it,I drive the two perfectly and will never look down on a manual car. I never had problems with auto tyranny. Car has many components,transmission is just one of them,if u take care of ur car u wont have serious headache. Imagine Ikenna driving an auto trans car he is not likely to have problem,so also, many people. Our auto technicians, fake parts and
wrong trans fluid are also factors. For me I enjoy auto
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:50pm On Sep 08, 2013
ba_aliyah: For me it is choice, if you like manual trans stick to it,I drive the two perfectly and will never look down on a manual car. I never had problems with auto tyranny. Car has many components,transmission is just one of them,if u take care of ur car u wont have serious headache. Imagine Ikenna driving an auto trans car he is not likely to have problem,so also, many people. Our auto technicians, fake parts and
wrong trans fluid are also factors. For me I enjoy auto

so the question is, are auto parts dealers selling sub standard items? and are people not learning fro other people's mistake eg one ATF is sub standard and motorist pass on the infor to one another until the manufacturer sees that people nolonger by the product
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by baaliyah(m): 7:51pm On Sep 08, 2013
For me it is choice, if you like manual trans stick to it,I drive the two perfectly and will never look down on a manual car. I never had problems with auto tyranny. Car has many components,transmission is just one of them,if u take care of ur car u wont have serious headache. Imagine Ikenna driving an auto trans car he is not likely to have problem,so also many people.
wrong trans fluid,fake parts,and negligence of car users are major reasons why auto trannies fail.For me I enjoy auto
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by shootsight(m): 12:33am On Sep 09, 2013
Even with the notoriously problematic transmissions of some vehicle year models ,, regular and correct maintenance with d recommended type of Atf will get u by and ensure one gets near optimal performance. I sometimes see some ''mechanics'' adding engine oil †̥σ automatic transmissions especially ∂ '98 camry.. Beats mε.
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by shootsight(m): 12:42am On Sep 09, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

so the question is, are auto parts dealers selling sub standard items? and are people not learning fro other people's mistake eg one ATF is sub standard and motorist pass on the infor to one another until the manufacturer sees that people nolonger by the product
well, there αяє fake parts out there but one thing is dat these parts sellers will ask u which particular one/grade u want.. If u go †̥σ ladipo auto parts market. U'll see ∂ same type of compressor, with price differences,, say 6k,, 8k,, 12k. Obviously ∂ last one is grade A. so depends on ones pocket . Also , people don't carry out research about their vehicles.. That is why wrong type of atf is used in servicing d transmission hence it starts acting up after a while.
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by dandollar1: 9:59am On Sep 09, 2013
Hello all,please is it normal to feel gear changes in honda auto transmission during acceralation? Or are the changes suposed to be noticed only with d change in the sound of the engine and RPM?
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by baaliyah(m): 12:46pm On Sep 09, 2013
Dan, I think car doctor already answered ur question somewhere. U will feel it, but not a jerk.
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 09, 2013
S.O.S

Please what is the right ATF and Coolant for Ford Galaxy 1995 -2000 model?-HELP
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by lonelydora: 9:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
I enjoy auto trans within town, and manual trans when travelling. I'm a registered member of Honda Forum on the internet, so I ask questions there before going to my mechanic. Infact, my mechanic baffles when I tell him whAt and whAt to change for me.
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by cardoctor(m): 7:55am On Sep 10, 2013
For more info on automatic gearbox problems, follow the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/1364064/automatic-gearbox-problems

Car-Doctor.
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:00pm On Sep 10, 2013
lonelydora: I enjoy auto trans within town, and manual trans when travelling. I'm a registered member of Honda Forum on the internet, so I ask questions there before going to my mechanic. Infact, my mechanic baffles when I tell him whAt and whAt to change for me.

thats the approach most here do it the other way round ask niaraland car talk section

instead of googling, which gives you a bigger questioning/researching base than few thousand here
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by Olisa4all: 10:04pm On Sep 10, 2013
I'm about to have my Avensis 03 auto trans replaced (at Ladipo) tomorrow @ 80k, is there anything I should be on the look out for?(Besides the mechanic not using Abro ATF)
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by sultaan(m): 10:25pm On Sep 10, 2013
like you not replacing it and making sure it is really bad kind of question.

If you have the wrong fluid in there you will be paying that mechanic for a long time

Do you have any scan code that says it is bad? And what color is your transmission fluid, who and when was the last time you serviced it
Re: Nigerians With Automatics & The Problems by Olisa4all: 8:28am On Sep 11, 2013
sultaan: like you not replacing it and making sure it is really bad kind of question.

If you have the wrong fluid in there you will be paying that mechanic for a long time

Do you have any scan code that says it is bad? And what color is your transmission fluid, who and when was the last time you serviced it

The Tranny's gone trust me,a new one's needed

(1) (Reply)

Clicking Noise From My Engine Is It A Cause For Concern? / In Need Of U241E(10 pin) u250e(13 pin) u40e, a541e(5pin)used gear / How Do I Import Salvaged Cars, Fix Them And Sell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.