Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,863 members, 7,821,011 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Olu Of Warri Disowns 500 Years Old Tradition Amid Protest - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Olu Of Warri Disowns 500 Years Old Tradition Amid Protest (1073 Views)

Olu Of Warri Visits The Ooni Of Ife (photos) / "Ooni Of Ife, Ogunwusi, Ascended Our Father Oduduwa's Throne" - Olu Of Warri / Ogiame Atuwatse, Olu Of Warri Dies After 28 Years On The Throne (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olu Of Warri Disowns 500 Years Old Tradition Amid Protest by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
http://9jaflave..com/2013/09/olu-of-warri-disowns-500-years-old-tradition-amid-protest.html

In a rare and bold move that has ruffled a lot of feathers, the Olu of Warri, Atuwatse II, has said he his giving the land where he rules to God and putting a stop to Idol worship.

"Henceforth, I submit and present the title ‘Ogiame’ to God, the creator, who made the sea and rules over all. Therefore, no Olu or person may bear the title or name that now belongs to God. I nullify all tokens of libation poured on the land and seas or sprinkled into the air in Iwere land. I frustrate all sacrifices of wine, blood, food, water, kola nuts, and other items offered in Iwere land.

In conformity with the new covenant through the blood of Jesus, I release the royal bloodline, the chiefs of the Iwere kingdom, the Iwere people and land, waters and atmosphere of Iwere kingdom from all ties to all other spiritual covenants and agreements."

His declarations has however triggered reactions from the royal family, chiefs and the youths. The youths who came out to protest said, they are protesting against the moves by the monarch and others to change the only recognized ancient title of “Ogiame” that represents the symbol of the Iwere Kingdom of Warri.

One of the protesting youths also said that the move amounts to a desecration of a title that has been in existence for more than 500 years. The protesters set a huge fire outside the gate of the palace.

Palace chiefs rose from a meeting in Warri, Delta State, Sunday, asking the Olu of Warri, Ogiame Atuwatse II, to withdraw his controversial statement, last week, denouncing his “Ogiame” traditional title because it is purportedly associated to a river goddess.

The chiefs handed over the order to the monarch just as the Governor, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, weekend, intervened in the feud between the monarch and his subjects.

A royal blood of Iwere (Warri) kingdom, Prince Omolubi Newuwumi, who led the protesters on the siege to the palace, told Vanguard, yesterday, “There is no going back on our position, it is either the Olu vacates the position, resign or we will force him to leave office. He cannot sit on the throne and abuse our tradition.”

“Nobody is stopping him from being a Christian, he should vacate the stool and go and practice his Christianity but not to tell us that we should no longer sing the Itsekiri national anthem because he is a Christian – is he the first Christian in Warri?"

The Olu of Warri is however insisting that it's time for the land to go back to God. In my opinion, I do not think he has much of a choice than to abdicate the throne. That's the only honourable path. But his courage is commendable. The die is cast.

http://9jaflave..com/2013/09/olu-of-warri-disowns-500-years-old-tradition-amid-protest.html

Re: Olu Of Warri Disowns 500 Years Old Tradition Amid Protest by BTT(m): 11:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
Waoh! This is bold and brave.
Re: Olu Of Warri Disowns 500 Years Old Tradition Amid Protest by macof(m): 10:13am On Sep 10, 2013
I have seen this on Facebook before and my opinion is for him to leave that position now or be embarrassed out of it.
Re: Olu Of Warri Disowns 500 Years Old Tradition Amid Protest by jantavanta(m): 5:05pm On Sep 11, 2013
I am proud to associate with culturally independent Itsekiri for their bold move against a neo-colonialist invasion of their Kingdom. The rest of Nigeria should take a cue from them. They have displayed their understanding of international relations and understand the implications of The Olu Warri telling the world that Itsekiris are a 'nobody'. When Africans adopt slave names and imported their Gods, they ended up importing their goods and services and exporting their jobs, thinking that it will develop them politically, scientifically and technologically, but science is nature's gift to man and technology is an emanation of culture.

The Itsekiris should please teach the rest of Nigeria not to second-class (or third-class) themselves to white people through the deification of 'western' or 'middle-eastern' white-centered cultures. Made-in-Japan was possible because their deities are made-in-Japan

(1) (Reply)

Ikwerre Practice Corpse Husband Drinking / Is Omoluabi An Educated Concept Or A General One? / Story Of Yasuke – The First Black Samurai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.