Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,401 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon (4013 Views)

John Fashanu, Stephenie-Korie Visit Alexreports At The Hospital (Photos) / Rachael Bakam: John Fashanu Loves Me More Than My Ex-Husband / Ebube Nwagbo, Akpororo, Fashanu Others At The Flag-off Of New Orphanage Home(pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by HezronLorraine(m): 4:52pm On Sep 10, 2013

Justin Fashanu-A Fallen Hero

Justin Fashanu was born in 1961 in London and was
raised along with his brother John by foster parents
due to his mother's inability to provide for the pair
financially. His natural ability to excel in sports,
specifically his chosen sport of football landed him on
a series of professional teams over two decades. His
shining moment occurred in 1980 in a game against
Liverpool where he scored the goal that was seen
around the world and lauded by fans everywhere.
He made history when he was the first black
footballer to earn a million pound salary when he was
recruited to play for manager Brian Clough's
Nottingham Forest in 1981.
In 1990, Justin publicly came out as gay in an
interview with the tabloid press after learning that he
would be outed in an upcoming expose', becoming
the only prominent player in English football so far to
do so. Many former colleagues spoke out in anger
against him, stating that homosexuals had no place
in a team sport, and his brother John publicly
disowned him. Although he claimed that he was
generally well accepted by his fellow players, he
freely admitted that they would often joke
maliciously about his sexual orientation, and he also
became the target of constant crowd abuse because
of it.
His then notoriously homophobic manager Brian
Clough banned him from team practices after
publicly coming out and eventually traded him to
Southhampton. In Clough's autobiography he recalls
a conversation he had with Fashanu after learning he
attended gay bars. "'Where do you go if you want a
loaf of bread?' I asked him. 'A baker's, I suppose.'
'Where do you go if you want a leg of lamb?' 'A
butcher's.' 'So why do you keep going to that bloody
poofs' club?" Clough later apologized for his cruel
treatment towards Justin Fashanu before his death in
1994, realizing he had contributed to his pain.
Coming out coupled along with a serious knee injury
proved to be the beginning of the end of a career
with so much promise. Over the next few years Justin
would play for various teams in Britain as well as
stateside in Georgia and Maryland. It was here
according to Fashanu he would have consensual sex
with a 17 year old boy who eventually accused him of
sexual assault.
Justin returned to the U.K. avoiding ever being
questioned by police, the charges were later dropped
due to a lack of evidence.
However, upon his return Justin Fashanu took his
own life in an abandoned garage after visiting
Chariot's bathouse in London by tying an electric fix
around his neck. His suicide note read;"I realized that
I had already been presumed guilty. I do not want to
give any more embarrassment to my friends and
family"..."I hope the Jesus I love welcomes me, I will
at last find peace
."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8lUe59EP84
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by demelza: 5:04pm On Sep 10, 2013
So sad. He never stood a chance.

1 Like

Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by Airforce1(m): 5:14pm On Sep 10, 2013
Who is he undecided

Never heard of him before...
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by deshclones(m): 5:16pm On Sep 10, 2013
Disgusting story with a wonderful happy ending....and he took the f00ls route ...suicide...he wasn't man enough..never been a man...ass loving transgendered....lovely story indeed... wink wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by Airforce1(m): 5:50pm On Sep 10, 2013
demelza: U no well.
Stop derailing Mr. Hezron's thread or else I will report you

cheesy grin
My apologies..
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 10, 2013
deshclones: Disgusting story with a wonderful happy ending....and he took the f00ls route ...suicide...he wasn't man enough..never been a man...ass loving transgendered....lovely story indeed... wink wink wink wink
nobody forced u to comment u miserable homophobe. Mind u, deaz a very thin line btwn homosex and homophobe, u secret gay. To hell!!!!

1 Like

Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by Nobody: 7:04pm On Sep 10, 2013
One of the gay people I first knew about while trying to find myself. Lol

His brother really hated him.

2 Likes

Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by HezronLorraine(m): 9:06pm On Sep 10, 2013
masonkz: One of the gay people I first knew about while trying to find myself. Lol

His brother really hated him.
same thing here.

john fashanu.he's so full of himself.he disowned Justin.am sure that is one of the reasons Justin took his life.he definitely felt like an outcast.had it been he had brotherly support,he probably would still be alive.
Everytime I read his story.I cry.Justin was a trailblazer.he made a very bold step at coming out at a time when he still felt the stings of racism.its one thing to be black in the then epl,its another to be gay.two wrongs to most people then.

I envy his spirit and hope other's learn from him.
The part that touches me most was his suicide note that read-'I hope the Jesus I love welcomes me'.that's inspirational.he still had faith in God till he died.

Rest in eternal peace Justin Fashanu,You paid the price and sacrificed your life for many other gay people around the world to draw breath.Your death was an eye-opener to the injustice in the world.
Rest in peace forever

1 Like

Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by HezronLorraine(m): 9:07pm On Sep 10, 2013
Airforce1 and Demelza.you two derailed this thred from the 4th comment,8 comments of derailing.don't do that again..thanks.
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by flolancracker: 10:20pm On Sep 10, 2013
Actually thought twas john fashanu. They brothers?
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by HezronLorraine(m): 10:28pm On Sep 10, 2013
flolancracker: Actually thought twas john fashanu. They brothers?
yes they're blood brothers.
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by homesteady(m): 10:55pm On Sep 10, 2013
I guess I have nothing to say here
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by flolancracker: 10:56pm On Sep 10, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: yes they're blood brothers.
0h
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by niggadee(m): 1:14am On Sep 11, 2013
first black footballer in Europe to earn a million pound salary.
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by demelza: 6:57am On Sep 11, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: Airforce1 and Demelza.you two derailed this thred from the 4th comment,8 comments of derailing.don't do that again..thanks.
Sorry about that.
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 11, 2013
I'm seeing some cat fight in here grin
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 11, 2013
masonkz: I'm seeing some cat fight in here grin

Really? I see nothing. smiley

Terrible story. RIP Justin.
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 11, 2013
ogugua88:

Really? I see nothing. smiley

I know what I saw. Hehe.

demelza: So sad. He never stood a chance.

Oh he stood a chance alright, he just never HAD the chance.
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by Nobody: 6:55pm On Sep 11, 2013
Sad. I watched a documentary about him. His brother(john) explained why he disowned him and after justin killed himself, he realised what he did wrong. He talked about how he should have supported him and that. Being a gay footballer, is suicidal, especially in those times. It was seen as taboo by the supporters.
Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 11, 2013
adaobi123: Sad. I watched a documentary about him. His brother(john) explained why he disowned him and after justin killed himself, he realised what he did wrong. He talked about how he should have supported him and that. Being a gay footballer, is suicidal, especially in those times. It was seen as taboo by the supporters.

"Explained why he disowned him"...seriously? And a suicide had to happen before he realized all these? Playing the ostrich would have been far better than dis-owning your own brother in public.

All I see is a play for the media. Too little too late. He should have saved the talk for his brother's graveyard. Or better still, go forward to support a cause for the gay people, in respect to his brother. Dude irritates me everytime he comes up on the radio or tv.

2 Likes

Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 11, 2013
^^^ Ditto.

1 Like

Re: Justin Fashanu-a Fallen Hero & A Gay Icon by HezronLorraine(m): 7:31pm On Sep 11, 2013
masonkz:

"Explained why he disowned him"...seriously? And a suicide had to happen before he realized all these? Playing the ostrich would have been far better than dis-owning your own brother in public.

All I see is a play for the media. Too little too late. He should have
saved the talk for his brother's graveyard. Or better still, go forward
to support a cause for the gay people, in respect to his brother. Dude irritates me everytime he comes up on the radio or tv.

as in the dude posses me off big time.I don't in any way respect his personality mainly cause of this.yeah people make mistakes,but we forgive them cause they are remorseful,he wasn't.he even went ahead announcing on tv that Justin wasn't gay,he was only seeking attention.who does that?

When next we come to this world we should be given an opportunity to choose our family members.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Has The Funniest Moniker On Nairaland? / 10 Hottest Photos Of P-square On Instagram / Super Cute! Mercy Johnson & Husband, Odianosen Lovely In Blue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.