Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:02 AM

Don’t Panic! 7 Reasons Your Period Might Be Late (besides Pregnancy) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Don’t Panic! 7 Reasons Your Period Might Be Late (besides Pregnancy) (2257 Views)

Don’t Panic!! 7 Reasons Your Period Might Be Late Besides Pregnancy – For Ladies / Six Things Your Period Can Tell You About Your Health. / 7 Reasons Your Period Might Be Delayed Apart From Pregnancy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Don’t Panic! 7 Reasons Your Period Might Be Late (besides Pregnancy) by JuicyGee(f): 11:27am On Sep 11, 2013
For the last week or so, I’ve been some what convinced that I’m pregnant. For the most part, this belief was paranoid, but also not entirely outside the realm of possibility. I had sex weeks ago, but de condom didn't break ( so i thought.) So when my period failed to arrive on the day it was supposed to, and the day after, and the day after that, and my breast started feeling sore, well, I began to panic. I started to type “early symptoms of pregnancy” into Google and the search engine, seemingly reading my mind.
Oh God, I thought. It was all but confirmed. My mum was gon' kill me if i was pregnant. so I decided to research all the possible reasons for why my normally prompt period might be late and I (and you, if you’re in a similar situation) shouldn’t be panicking. Here are the seven most likely reasons your period might be late besides pregnancy… and if you make it to the end, you’ll find out whether or not my panicking was all for naught.

* 1. CHANGE IN SCHEDULE:
Changing schedules can really throw off your body clock. This is particularly true if you go from days to nights at work or vice versa. If you frequently change shifts and notice a problems with regular cycles, then see if it is possible to be put on a more permanent shift or at least a shift that only varies after a lengthier time period.

* 2. STRESS: Stress can affect many things in our lives, including our periods. Sometimes we're so stressed out that our body decreases the amount of a hormone (GnRH), which causes us to not ovulate or menstruate. Working with your doctor or midwife can help you figure out what you need to do to relax and get back on schedule. This can sometimes take a few months or more to work itself out.

3. ILLNESS: Being sick at the time you normally would ovulate can delay ovulation — and if you ovulate late, you’ll get your period late. So if your period hasn’t arrived on schedule, think back a few weeks — were you under the weather? Or were you down with fever.

4. PILL POPPING: Taking a new medication or changing the dosage on an existing medication can affect all aspects of your body’s well-being, including your menstrual cycle — that’s why your doctor, including your gynecologist, always wants to know each and every medication that you’re on.

5. WEIGHT ISSUES: A major change in your weight — either by gaining a lot or losing a lot of weight — can throw your ovulation cycle off. People who are underweight or extremely overweight sometimes don’t have a period at all — which is not very healthy. Overall, an incredibly wonky or nonexistent period is a sign of possible health issues.

6. PERI-MENOPAUSE:
Peri-menopause is the period of time where you are transitioning from reproductive age to a non-reproductive age. Your periods may be lighter, heavier, more frequent or less frequent - but mostly just not normal. If you do not wish to get pregnant, be sure to continue to use birth control because you are likely to still be fertile at least some of the time.

7. MISCALCULATION:The average menstrual cycle is 28 days, but many, many women have shorter or longer cycles and don’t chart them correctly — so it may be that your period is not actually late. Additionally, the majority of women have cycles that are irregular and don’t necessarily realize it. If your period is early even by a few days one month, it may arrive late the following month.

And Bamm! I realised i was ill wif fever weeks ago. I also re-call dat my previous period came very early due to a pill i took. Maybe i wasn't pregnant as i thought. I took a pregnancy test nd twas negative, few days later i started my period. Pheww! It was a relive.
Re: Don’t Panic! 7 Reasons Your Period Might Be Late (besides Pregnancy) by Rexphobia(m): 11:49am On Sep 11, 2013
Well, I now have something to refer her to, first of all.

I've not seen enough my period! Maybe u should read this thread.
Re: Don’t Panic! 7 Reasons Your Period Might Be Late (besides Pregnancy) by kennybelle: 11:49am On Sep 11, 2013
This is relieving, bt would av loved it more if it came earlier. Felt terrible n scared wen mine happened, cos i‘ve never had sex; so i was confused n was thinking maybe i would become d 2nd Virgin Mary, bt it came few days later after a preg test was done on me, being -ve as well. Thanks 4 sharing op

(1) (Reply)

Beauty Queen Shows Off The Results Of Untreated Diabetes (warning graphics) / How To Do Close Grip Bench Press / The Health Benefits Of Scent Leaves You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.