Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,418 members, 7,954,655 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:08 AM

Does The Average Nigerian Graduate Really Merit A Professional Job? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Does The Average Nigerian Graduate Really Merit A Professional Job? (667 Views)

The Difficult Stages In The Life Of A Nigerian Graduate / Open Letter To President Muhamadu Buhari By A Nigerian Graduate On Unemployment / Nigerian Graduate Who Shared CVs In UK Subway Now Hiring (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Average Nigerian Graduate Really Merit A Professional Job? by 4C2215131: 11:21am On Sep 12, 2013
Hi folks, now I know I might get a lot of flak for this post but I just have to tell it like it is. Now for the prospective shellers,you'd be doing well to note that in the subject title of the post the term 'average' was utilized connoting the fact that there are exceptions to my seemingly absurd theories. But again,the exception in this instance seem to prove the case.

Now my argument,while perusing the forum I've come across so many display of inane and/or infantile approach to issues addressed in posts that make me wonder if the individuals tendering such views actually take time to think and collect their thoughts before they post their rejoinder. Of course I'm not referring to those posts that are put up for fun as we could all do with a little fun and silliness now and then,in fact it makes the forum more interesting but those post that seem to be seriously addressing the issue but are delivered in such a warped sense that defies comprehension.

Now,in regards to this section of the forum ostensibly peopled more by 'educated' job seekers I must confess that if judging by the reparte going o between members here,then most reputable firms,multi national organizations,foreign institutions of higher learning,and the like are not mainly to blame for their 'tall' employment and further studies eligibility requirements (at least at the graduate entry level in regard to employment as the issue of experience is not pertinent here).

Why do I opine thus,some posters exhibit such poor cognitive skills expecting to be led by the hand to comprehend posts that are self explanatory. Imagine someone taking time to post a job vacancy advert detailing ALL the requirements needed to apply for a job vis a vis the attendant website of the host firm and people still asking questions whose answers are staring right back at them in the original post!? Let's not mention the deplorable verbal and communication skills exhibited by 'serious' posters (I'm not addressing the use of abbreviations or colloquials here,in the context in which it is rendered it is understandable). Sometimes I'm just dumbfounded.

Please let's not take this the wrong way. We learn everyday no man has a monopoly over knowledge. I'm learning even now as replies to this post whether corroborating or refuting my assertions will shed a new light on my understanding of the situation. Folks listen,the govt.has failed us,our educational system has been ship -wrecked but self education lies on us. Are you a graduate of engineering?while I acquiesce to the fact that there are no practical training structures on ground in our universities do a lot of theoretical research of latest trends in your field in the time being the practical aspect will be taken care of during your internship (sad I know but it's the only option we're left with). Read periodicals,magazines,gazette,text books from classical and modern authors,make channels like Discovery your friend and most of all PLEASE work on your English language skills ( do not let anyone guile you into thinking it's not your mother tongue so it does not matter. Just five min in the interview room of a multinational firm will convince you otherwise). For the folks in the social and management sciences same rule applies. Get books and articles on the latest HR theories and developments,financial issues,extant accounting concepts,impending social,environmental, and political issues and the like such that when an oppurtunity presents itself in the guise of a job interview and the like you will be amply prepared. Of course your verbal and communication skills has to be on point,no going around this folks. You need that lucrative job? Read to develop yourself as if you know like I do the universities aren't up to scratch in this regard what with their outdated syllabi and such.

Another important issue is' Read To Know' for those still in school,not to pass save you want to work in the civil service where anything goes (don't blame students though as the companies that matter have postulated a 2.1 or first class honours degree as criteria for possible employment which ironically is premised on the fact that the universities is a sham so they demand the 'best' students who in turn now end up cheating,or reading to pass via cramming of information that is jettisoned immediately after the exams thus coming out of school as air heads and performing poorly on the job. If they get it in the first place). This is one of the reasons you see a lot of first class chaps out there with no jobs. They got the degree legitimately all right (did a lot of past questions reviewing which end up as likely exam questions no thanks to very lazy lecturers who cannot or may not have the mental capacity to examine students with new and challenging questions every once in a while probably because they don't know the answers to the questions in the first place.) So they graduate with a first class with a skull full of emptiness or outdated information in their respective field of study hence all the graduate trainee programmes and stuff effected by reputable companies. Note that they spend millions re-training you and that's shareholders potential profit hence they are VERY strict when it comes to the final selection process. Does Shell SITP programme ring a bell,anybody?

Well,the post is getting too long so I'd conclude by saying that develop yourself intellectually,watch your 'serious' posts and comments here, there just might be a HR officer perusing the threads and make no mistake about it,they are members. So messing up with all this flagrant display of illiteracy in supposed literate job seekers does not augur well for the image of the average Nigerian graduate. The job market out there is tough now,times have changed,things are moving fast. A lot is expected from the average employee from employers nowadays from Mr.Biggs to Exxon Mobil. Once again it wasn't my intention to slight anybody and my un reserved apologies to all who may feel slighted. Blessed Be.

3 Likes

Re: Does The Average Nigerian Graduate Really Merit A Professional Job? by effisyman: 11:28am On Sep 12, 2013
hmmmm
Re: Does The Average Nigerian Graduate Really Merit A Professional Job? by miolad20(m): 11:47am On Sep 12, 2013
Well stated. [size=15pt]Well stated!. [/size]Well stated.
Re: Does The Average Nigerian Graduate Really Merit A Professional Job? by 4C2215131: 3:43pm On Nov 04, 2015
Pheew! Glad I could access this article even though nearly all the posts seem to have vanished. Thanks to the administrators of the site, good looking out!.

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy / Job Openings / Vacancies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.