Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,423 members, 7,822,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery (12040 Views)

Involve Us In Construction Of $14bn Dangote Oil Refinery — Indigenous Firms / Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 / Harvard Business Review June 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by DisGuy: 12:29pm On Sep 13, 2013
AnanseK:

The substance of the story (simplified) is that Dangote's move is more likely to happen than those you mentioned.

thats very true-he is a finisher- the rest are more likely to complain, play hard ball with national assembly, get tangled with western contracts and sophisticated finance and consequently get carried away by easier projects-trading

1 Like

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by 3ace(m): 12:33pm On Sep 13, 2013
Honestly, I like the analytical prowess of this reporter. I really enjoyed it. With the level of success this man has attained in life, I'm sure he will intermittently be feeling sad that why is death part of life.

1 Like

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by DisGuy: 12:34pm On Sep 13, 2013
naptu2:

smiley that's what I mean. The new refinery in Niger Republic, the planned refineries in Ondo, Lekki and Badagry all remind me of this.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/why-we-cant-build-refinery-in-nigeria-shell/

even that number is not enough for the population of West/central africa vs the population- the economy is 'growing'- more taste for cars and so on

Shell wants to concentrate on crude exploration, they have more interesting projects- they will make more from importing and collecting the difference from the govt- easier than paying some touts and high chiefs all the time
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by DisGuy: 12:35pm On Sep 13, 2013
3ace: Honestly, I like the analytical prowess of this reporter. I really enjoyed it. With the level of success this man has attained in life, I'm sure he will intermittently be feeling sad that why is death part of life.

are you saying nigerian analysts/reporters are jeun jeun cheesy
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by naptu2: 12:36pm On Sep 13, 2013
AnanseK:

The substance of the story (simplified) is that Dangote's move is more likely to happen than those you mentioned.

True. Dangote's move is more likely to happen, but that doesn't mean that the others won't happen.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by naptu2: 12:40pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dis Guy:

even that number is not enough for the population of West/central africa vs the population- the economy is 'growing'- more taste for cars and so on

Shell wants to concentrate on crude exploration, they have more interesting projects- they will make more from importing and collecting the difference from the govt- easier than paying some touts and high chiefs all the time

Finally! That's my point. Nigerians put pressure on Shell to build a refinery. Shell said no, because there's over capacity and it won't make any money. Some also put pressure on the government to build more refineries and government officials used the same excuse of over capacity.

Yet here we have Dangote, Niger Republic, Oando, etc building refineries. That means that the problem was not over capacity to begin with.

You've also probably highlighted one of the reasons why Dangote chose Ondo.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Chiscomax(m): 12:44pm On Sep 13, 2013
davedave1:
Sharap dia, u are adviced to remain silent, anything u say now will be used against u in d court of law, u have right for an attorney, if u cannot afford one, nairaland will produce one for u !!!

you have been found guilty of smoking indian hemp. you are hereby sentenced to 72years ban.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by DaLover(m): 12:45pm On Sep 13, 2013
Imagin 5 or 6 more refineries around the country, the employment opportunities etc
This is very old news,
The govt should immediately take the following steps,
-privatize the govt owned refineries
-fully deregulate the downstream sector, pull NNpC out completely
-initiate policies to impose punitive taxes on imported petroleum products
-initiate policies to impose punitive taxes on exportation of crude oil
-initiate policies to encourage exportation of refined petroleum products

This along with the deregulated power sector will provide the necessary jump start for the Nigerian economy.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by naptu2: 12:47pm On Sep 13, 2013
DaLover: Imagin 5 or 6 more refineries around the country, the employment opportunities etc
This is very old news,

This along with the deregulated power sector will provide the necessary jump start for the Nigerian economy.

And that's the second point that I was trying to make. Not too long ago Dangote and Otedola wanted to buy the Port Harcourt Refinery. What happened to that?
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by DisGuy: 12:52pm On Sep 13, 2013
DaLover: Imagin 5 or 6 more refineries around the country, the employment opportunities etc
This is very old news,

nigeria is a funny country how ever you look at it

when the 'refineries' were privatised[albeit hurriedly], people shouted monopolisation
when he puts his money- there are still some murmuring monopoly
Seems it would take someone who will jus tignore the noise and get on with it

I wonder what happened to all those high chiefs that bought license for refineries

1 Like

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by naptu2: 12:54pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dis Guy:

nigeria is a funny country how ever you look at it

when the 'refineries' were privatised, people shouted monopolisation

when he puts his money- there's still some murmuring monopoly

I wonder what happened to all those high chiefs that bought license for refineries

God bless you.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by Okontami: 1:15pm On Sep 13, 2013
F*uck this report. Nonsense write up by a re*tard. So what if the economic power is in the hand of one man. If the churches prefer to build prayer camps with the free monies they are getting instead of investing in the economyetc and the other rich Nigerians prefer to buy houses in Florida and Miami instead of investing in sectors crying for investments,,,then the man that choose to take up the risk should be encouraged. Dangote pick it up and buy the Nigeria railway corporation and fix it. We need people with brains to invest in the economy...

3 Likes

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by DaLover(m): 1:16pm On Sep 13, 2013
naptu2:

And that's the second point that I was trying to make. Not too long ago Dangote and Otedola wanted to buy the Port Harcourt Refinery. What happened to that?

Govt definitely has to revisit he privatization efforts, I think they did a good job with he power sector, I don't know how they did it but there very little or no complaints, not even the highly negative APC stalwarts saw negatives in this privatization process.

If this can be applied to the refineries, I think we will be better for it.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by DaLover(m): 1:17pm On Sep 13, 2013
Okontami: F*uck this report. Nonsense write up by a re*tard. So what if the economic power is in the hand of one man. If the churches prefer to build prayer camps with the free monies they are getting instead of investing in the economyetc and the other rich Nigerians prefer to buy houses in Florida and Miami instead of investing in sectors crying for investments,,,then the man that choose to take up the risk should be encouraged. Dangote pick it up and buy the Nigeria railway corporation and fix it. We need people with brains to invest in the economy...
Support this post
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by jadakiss213(m): 1:19pm On Sep 13, 2013
Majikals: I praised him too but it wasn't well documented
and who are you. By the way
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by naptu2: 1:22pm On Sep 13, 2013
Okontami: F*uck this report. Nonsense write up by a re*tard. So what if the economic power is in the hand of one man. If the churches prefer to build prayer camps with the free monies they are getting instead of investing in the economyetc and the other rich Nigerians prefer to buy houses in Florida and Miami instead of investing in sectors crying for investments,,,then the man that choose to take up the risk should be encouraged. Dangote pick it up and buy the Nigeria railway corporation and fix it. We need people with brains to invest in the economy...

Interestingly his great-grandfather, Alhassan Dantata, was a member of the board of the railway corporation in the 1940s and '50s (he was one of their biggest customers. Entire trains ferried his groundnuts from Kano to the south and took his kolanuts to the north on the return journey).
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by eluquenson(m): 1:37pm On Sep 13, 2013
Vice President -North.*
Senate President -North
SpeakerHouse of Reps -North.
PDP National Chairman - North.
Head of Service -North.
INEC Chairman North.
Inspector General of Police -North.
CBN Governor- North
Chief Justice of federation North.
President Court of Appeal -North
EFCC Chairman -North.
President Federal high court North.
National Security Adviser -North.
Chief of Defense Staff North.
Controller,Customs Service North.
Controller Prison Services -North.
Richest man in Africa -North
85% of Petroleum Marketers in Nigeria -
Northerners.

80% of Oil Block Owners in Nigeria Northerners. Hmmmm!Dangote

99% of beggars in Nigeria - Northerners
Boko Haram - North.
Anti-Biafra -Northerners

Yet, the Poorest states in Nigeria and
Educationally backward areas in Nigeria are in the North. Now ask yourself, what are other areas like South-south, West,East doing that these people have stripped the country of all the goodies.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by naptu2: 1:44pm On Sep 13, 2013
And that's the kind of thinking that draws us backwards.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by naptu2: 1:49pm On Sep 13, 2013
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by DaLover(m): 1:50pm On Sep 13, 2013
naptu2: And that's the kind of thinking that draws us backwards.

That type of thinking happens everywhere in the world, go to America and see people complain about each other, go to k and see the Scottish complain, what is really drawing us back is the faulty structure that encourages laziness and dependency on oil by components of the country, 774 lgas and 36 states...
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by naptu2: 1:54pm On Sep 13, 2013
DaLover:

That type of thinking happens everywhere in the world, go to America and see people complain about each other, go to k and see the Scottish complain, what is really drawing us back is the faulty structure that encourages laziness and dependency on oil by components of the country, 774 lgas and 36 states...

Our faulty structure is drawing us back (God knows I've complained about that endlessly), but the type of thinking that encourages people to be put in positions or to get benefits simply because of where they are from (regardless of whether they merit it or not) is also drawing us back.

1 Like

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by chebeoc(m): 2:02pm On Sep 13, 2013
My question is with all this positions our western brothers still want to help them to get the president seat,Are they going to drop these posts or 'll they add more to them?
eluquenson: Vice President -North.*
Senate President -North
SpeakerHouse of Reps -North.
PDP National Chairman - North.
Head of Service -North.
INEC Chairman North.
Inspector General of Police -North.
CBN Governor- North
Chief Justice of federation North.
President Court of Appeal -North
EFCC Chairman -North.
President Federal high court North.
National Security Adviser -North.
Chief of Defense Staff North.
Controller,Customs Service North.
Controller Prison Services -North.
Richest man in Africa -North
85% of Petroleum Marketers in Nigeria -
Northerners.

80% of Oil Block Owners in Nigeria Northerners. Hmmmm!Dangote

99% of beggars in Nigeria - Northerners
Boko Haram - North.
Anti-Biafra -Northerners

Educationally backward areas in Nigeria are in the North. Now ask yourself, what are other areas like South-south, West,East doing that these people have stripped the country of all the goodies.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by eluquenson(m): 2:11pm On Sep 13, 2013
chebeoc: My question is with all this positions our western brothers still want to help them to get the president seat,Are they going to drop these posts or 'll they add more to them?

Westerners are not too good when it comes to politics, that's why they always conspire with the Northerners as the like of Obasanjo & Abiola, Akintola & so on, we all aware of another story""APC""" of a thing which I don't think can rip GEJ the position next season.

I give kudos to the Northerners for a well crafted job, so let others sit right.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by DisGuy: 3:14pm On Sep 13, 2013
eluquenson:

Westerners are not too good when it comes to politics, that's why they always conspire with the Northerners as the like of Obasanjo & Abiola, Akintola & so on, we all aware of another story""APC""" of a thing which I don't think can rip GEJ the position next season.

I give kudos to the Northerners for a well crafted job, so let others sit right.

and the easterners are the best when it comes to politics- No wonder the Niger deltans even beat them to the position theyve always agitated for
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by DisGuy: 3:18pm On Sep 13, 2013
eluquenson: Vice President -North.*

at this rate you'd think all the senators and national assembly members are northerners, what were/are all the 'brilliant eastern politicians' doing whilst these 'backward' people are pulling everything?
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by AnanseK(m): 3:37pm On Sep 13, 2013
eluquenson: Vice President -North.*Senate President -North
SpeakerHouse of Reps -North. PDP National Chairman - North.Head of Service -North.
INEC Chairman North.Inspector General of Police -North.CBN Governor- NorthChief Justice of federation North.
President Court of Appeal -NorthEFCC Chairman -North.President Federal high court North.National Security Adviser -North.
Chief of Defense Staff North. Controller,Customs Service North.Controller Prison Services -North.Richest man in Africa -North85% of Petroleum Marketers in Nigeria -
Northerners.
80% of Oil Block Owners in Nigeria Northerners. Hmmmm!Dangote99% of beggars in Nigeria - Northerners
Boko Haram - North.Anti-Biafra -NorthernersYet, the Poorest states in Nigeria and

This small list for the north? If you start listing similar positions for the south even 5 pages of NL will not be enough. You are just a greedy and envious character. Nothing will ever satisfy your type.

1 Like

Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by AnanseK(m): 3:37pm On Sep 13, 2013
eluquenson: Vice President -North.*Senate President -North
SpeakerHouse of Reps -North. PDP National Chairman - North.Head of Service -North.
INEC Chairman North.Inspector General of Police -North.CBN Governor- NorthChief Justice of federation North.
President Court of Appeal -NorthEFCC Chairman -North.President Federal high court North.National Security Adviser -North.
Chief of Defense Staff North. Controller,Customs Service North.Controller Prison Services -North.Richest man in Africa -North85% of Petroleum Marketers in Nigeria -
Northerners.
80% of Oil Block Owners in Nigeria Northerners. Hmmmm!Dangote99% of beggars in Nigeria - Northerners
Boko Haram - North.Anti-Biafra -NorthernersYet, the Poorest states in Nigeria and

This small list for the north? If you start listing similar positions for the south even 5 pages of NL will not be enough. You are just a greedy and envious character. Nothing will ever satisfy your type.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by lekkie073(m): 3:57pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dangote.....the only good thing dat came out from the north.........#my opinion undecided
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by eluquenson(m): 6:35pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dis Guy:

and the easterners are the best when it comes to politics- No wonder the Niger deltans even beat them to the position theyve always agitated for

Mind you Easterners have no gain in this country, thats why they are always singing Biafra Anthem.....Lol tongue grin
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by eluquenson(m): 6:37pm On Sep 13, 2013
AnanseK:

What i listed is nothing but the gospel truth.
I am a Westerner but that doesn't mean i shouldn't speak the truth.
Can you please, enlighten us more on your agitation may be by listing all the strategic post South hold....
To be candid, South are just a mere minority that's why we have the likes of MEND.
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by eluquenson(m): 6:42pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dis Guy:

at this rate you'd think all the senators and national assembly members are northerners, what were/are all the 'brilliant eastern politicians' doing whilst these 'backward' people are pulling everything?

They are just busy fighting each other, i like Northerners just for one reason...UNITY, they use one voice for all, they follow one principle, but others are always envy of their brothers, no unity among them, no cooperation.
Frankly speaking, Northerners are very eager for power that's why they are very much aggrieved with the demise of Yaradua embarassed undecided
Re: Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery by rhames(m): 6:43pm On Sep 13, 2013
I wish him the best of luck and success in his endeavours. Please send me an email of the prospectus when the business is finally going public. I wan buy the shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cold Room Bisness / South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa Mourns Herbert Wigwe / Regulatory Compliance: CBN Grants Fountainpay Commercial License

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.