Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,768 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Career In Management Information Systems - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career In Management Information Systems (909 Views)

Can An MBA Holder Go For A Phd In Management? / What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? / G.i.s Geographic Information Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Career In Management Information Systems by spicyuzo(m): 10:19pm On Sep 14, 2013
I am a graduate of information management technology from an acknowledged federal university..
I wish to pursue a career in information systems management(management information systems)...
What are the requirements for this career?
What are the possible job oppourtunities in nigeria?
How do i acheive this pursuit ?
What neccessary proffessional courses do i need to add to my portfolio?
Is running a masters degree neccessary and which institution abroad could be recommended?

Please i solicit your candid advice on this issue...
Thnks
Re: Career In Management Information Systems by 1forall: 1:21am On Sep 15, 2013
The trouble with many of these academic IT courses is that although they introduce you to the concepts of the field, they are not specific enough for the workplace. Being an IT professional in my view is more of the practical skills possessed and how proficient you are with them, than the acquisition of degrees. To that end professional/industry certifications are more useful for gaining these skills than academic qualifications therefore I won't say a Master's degree is necessary. I think skills acquisition is the most important requirement, and if you pick up certifications along the way then, great!

What EXACTLY do you want to do in MIS? What systems interest you? What skills are necessary to master the use of these systems? Where can you get these skills? I think those are the questions you should be asking yourself, and then let your answers guide your quest.

Personally, I would suggest research and self-study for starters in order to get a feel for what you want to get into before committing your resources (time, energy, money) to it. For example you could initially be interested in; say SAP, and for some reason after few days of research and study, you could discover that it's not exactly what you would like to major in, and you could also make interesting new discoveries in the process. Thus a few days of research could save you from many months of regret.

(1) (Reply)

Should I Be Adding Strangers To My Professional Network On LINKEDIN? / What Is A 'teller Number' In The Nigerian Context? / Learn Why? "A" Students Works For "C" Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.