Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

Popular American Islamic Blogger Comes Out Of The Closet - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Popular American Islamic Blogger Comes Out Of The Closet (942 Views)

Woman Comes To Protest Against Islam, Leaves With A Hug And A Qur’an(pics) / If My Period Comes While Fasting,should I Complete The Day Fasting Or Not? / Jesus Will Follow Which Religion When Comes Back? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Popular American Islamic Blogger Comes Out Of The Closet by Nutase: 6:39am On Sep 17, 2013
Ify Okoye an American born to Nigerian parents converted to Islam some years back. She has been one of the most vocal Islamic bloggers in the U.S. I got to know her on CNN some years back and ever since I have followed her blog religiously.
Some weeks ago she came out as being gay and since then she has been receiving mixed reactions on her blog.
Her ex even left a comment on her blog which betrayed how heart broken he was.
Find below her response to him.

Source: ifyokoye.com
Re: Popular American Islamic Blogger Comes Out Of The Closet by Nutase: 6:49am On Sep 17, 2013
Ify Okoye on 22 August 2012 at 01:29
Salaam alaykum Ali,

Back in the day, I think our thoughts were more closely aligned. You were and maybe still are the kind of guy a girl like me could marry, which is actually a compliment and a testament to the good I saw in you. I continued studying and learning and think you would have benefitted from many of those classes as well.

I don’t think Islam needs modernizing but I do think some of the ways in which we understand our faith reflect our own human limitations. The more I learn about Islam, the stronger my faith becomes, and the more tolerant and compassionate my understanding becomes. In my own experience, weak faith, lack of knowledge, and insecurities often manifest in unnecessarily harsh or narrow opinions because we feel threatened or just aren’t even aware of the reality of a situation even though we feel very sure and secure in our judgements.

Ali, I’ve always wondered when would have been a good time to tell you this. When we first started talking before we were engaged, after our engagement, or after the marriage? And what would have been your response? Perhaps, your response is above but I’ve always wondered about the timing issue. Marriage is often prescribed as a solution, and since you have intimate experience with the situation, what do you think? I’ve always thought it’s a little unfair to keep one party in the dark because no one would want to find himself or herself in that situation.
Re: Popular American Islamic Blogger Comes Out Of The Closet by Nobody: 8:39am On Sep 17, 2013
Can a girl be gay?
Re: Popular American Islamic Blogger Comes Out Of The Closet by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 17, 2013
Allah says to 'believers' to enter Islam, fully, completely. Islam itself is avoiding what God and God has commanded His Messenger to tell us to avoid and observing what we have been commanded to observe, to the best of our ability, fully submitting to God in the process.

Islam itself is an advise. You do not force anyone to it. However anyone that enters it knows its a struggle.

The homosexual tendency should be suppressed, not practiced because God legislates against it and it is a punishable act as God had punished the people of sodom.

to have the tendency is not the crime but the act itself, just like to have tendency to steal. if you never stole, never carry out the tendency, one cant be said to be a criminal.

for example, each of us that is heterosexual dont act upon our 'tendency" each time the opposite sex presents the opportunity.

Allah's Messenger [sa] said to the youth, what it means; 'marry as soon as you can, otherwise fast in order to suppress the sex.ual energy".

people who say they can't control their evil actions should wait for the Decision of God, while they still have the opportunity to seek help from God to overcome the temptation.

i think each one of us, including Ify Okoye should fear Allah. those who are heading to paradise should find things of paradise [obedience to Allah easy] and those who are heading to hell will find things of paradise difficult to do, finding them difficult. one should look at evil things as something that the punish is physical, just about to take place like cutting of hand. struggle to make your destination or destiny a place or thing of happiness.

(1) (Reply)

. / . / Islam's Latest Contributions To Peace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.