Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

The Tafsir Of Alqur'an Karim; An Explanation That Human Mind Can Comprehend - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Tafsir Of Alqur'an Karim; An Explanation That Human Mind Can Comprehend (1819 Views)

The Deen Show: What's The Difference Between Shia And Sunni? Karim Abuzaid / Ramadan Tafsir / Tafsir (points To Ponder) By Nouman Ali Khan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tafsir Of Alqur'an Karim; An Explanation That Human Mind Can Comprehend by olabowale(m): 3:38pm On Jun 21, 2008
As Salaamualaykum, wa Rahmatullahi Ta ala  wa Barakatuhu. Brothers and Sisters in Islam, we do know that Allah sends His Book, The AlQur'an after He has sent His Explainer of the Book, Prophet Muhammad (as) to a society of man. He the prophet has become full matured, at age 40, the age where no one can claim ophanage.

We should therefore begin, for a ourselves and others the quest of understanding the Qur'an better, via its Tafsir. I hereby pick Tafsir ibn Kathir for this effort. Please know that this is not the only known tafsr. If you wish to contribute through other Tafsir, please state your source and contribute for the presently discussed verse or if you start a new ayah, let us provide the tafsir of Ibn Kathir, before you move to another verse.

May Allah the Almighty God, rewards everyone of us with the good of it. Amin.  

Surah Fatiha: The Opening Chapetr of AlQur'an Karim.

The Meaning of Al-Fatihah and its Various Names

This Surah is called Al-Fatihah, that is, the Opener of the Book, the Surah with which prayers are begun. It is also called, Umm Al-Kitab (the Mother of the Book), according to the majority of the scholars. In an authentic Hadith recorded by At-Tirmidhi, who graded it Sahih, Abu Hurayrah said that the Messenger of Allah said,

(Al-Hamdu lillahi Rabbil-`Alamin is the Mother of the Qur'an, the Mother of the Book, and the seven repeated Ayat of the Glorious Qur'an.). It is also called Al-Hamd and As-Salah, because the Prophet said that his Lord said,

('The prayer (i.e., Al-Fatihah) is divided into two halves between Me and My servants.' When the servant says, `All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of existence,' Allah says, 'My servant has praised Me.')

Al-Fatihah was called the Salah, because reciting it is a condition for the correctness of Salah - the prayer. Al-Fatihah was also called Ash-Shifa' (the Cure).

The Meaning of Al-Fatihah and its Various Names

This Surah is called Al-Fatihah, that is, the Opener of the Book, the Surah with which prayers are begun. It is also called, Umm Al-Kitab (the Mother of the Book), according to the majority of the scholars. In an authentic Hadith recorded by At-Tirmidhi, who graded it Sahih, Abu Hurayrah said that the Messenger of Allah said,

(Al-Hamdu lillahi Rabbil-`Alamin is the Mother of the Qur'an, the Mother of the Book, and the seven repeated Ayat of the Glorious Qur'an.)

It is also called Al-Hamd and As-Salah, because the Prophet said that his Lord said,

(`The prayer (i.e., Al-Fatihah) is divided into two halves between Me and My servants.' When the servant says, `All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of existence,' Allah says, 'My servant has praised Me.')

Al-Fatihah was called the Salah, because reciting it is a condition for the correctness of Salah - the prayer. Al-Fatihah was also called Ash-Shifa' (the Cure).

It is also called Ar-Ruqyah (remedy), since in the Sahih, there is the narration of Abu Sa`id telling the the story of the Companion who used Al-Fatihah as a remedy for the tribal chief who was poisoned. Later, the Messenger of Allah said to a Companion,

(How did you know that it is a Ruqyah)

Al-Fatihah was revealed in Makkah as Ibn `Abbas, Qatadah and Abu Al-`Aliyah stated. Allah said,

(And indeed, We have bestowed upon you the seven Mathani) (seven repeatedly recited verses), (i.e. Surat Al-Fatihah) (15:87). Allah knows best.

How many Ayat does Al-Fatihah contain

There is no disagreement over the view that Al-Fatihah contains seven Ayat. According to the majority of the reciters of Al-Kufah, a group of the Companions, the Tabi`in, and a number of scholars from the successive generations, the Bismillah is a separate Ayah in its beginning. We will mention this subject again soon, if Allah wills, and in Him we trust.

The Number of Words and Letters in Al-Fatihah

The scholars say that Al-Fatihah consists of twenty-five words, and that it contains one hundred and thirteen letters.

The Reason it is called Umm Al-Kitab

In the beginning of the Book of Tafsir, in his Sahih, Al-Bukhari said; "It is called Umm Al-Kitab, because the Qur'an starts with it and because the prayer is started by reciting it.'' It was also said that it is called Umm Al-Kitab, because it contains the meanings of the entire Qur'an. Ibn Jarir said, "The Arabs call every comprehensive matter that contains several specific areas an Umm. For instance, they call the skin that surrounds the brain, Umm Ar-Ra's. They also call the flag that gathers the ranks of the army an Umm.'' He also said, "Makkah was called Umm Al-Qura, (the Mother of the Villages) because it is the grandest and the leader of all villages. It was also said that the earth was made starting from Makkah.''

Further, Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Hurayrah narrated about Umm Al-Qur'an that the Prophet said,

(It is Umm Al-Qur'an, the seven repeated (verses) and the Glorious Qur'an.)

Also, Abu Ja`far, Muhammad bin Jarir At-Tabari recorded Abu Hurayrah saying that the Messenger of Allah said about Al-Fatihah,

(It is Umm Al-Qur'an, Al-Fatihah of the Book (the Opener of the Qur'an) and the seven repeated (verses).)

1 Like

Re: The Tafsir Of Alqur'an Karim; An Explanation That Human Mind Can Comprehend by mukina2: 11:07pm On Jun 23, 2008
I did tafsir . .

In my Darah then, when you get to Al Baqarah, you tafsir from Suratul Fathia Up to Nas

The Sura i enjoyed during the tafsir was Suratul Mariam smiley

The spelling and translation was not easy
Re: The Tafsir Of Alqur'an Karim; An Explanation That Human Mind Can Comprehend by olabowale(m): 2:05pm On Jul 04, 2008
Virtues of Al-Fatihah

Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal recorded in the Musnad that Abu Sa`id bin Al-Mu`alla said, "I was praying when the Prophet called me, so I did not answer him until I finished the prayer. I then went to him and he said, (What prevented you from coming) I said, 'O Messenger of Allah ! I was praying.' He said, (`Didn't Allah say),

(O you who believe! Answer Allah (by obeying Him) and (His) Messenger when he () calls you to that which gives you life) He then said,

(I will teach you the greatest Surah in the Qur'an before you leave the Masjid.) He held my hand and when he was about to leave the Masjid, I said, `O Messenger of Allah! You said: I will teach you the greatest Surah in the Qur'an.' He said, (Yes.) (Al-Hamdu lillahi Rabbil-`Alamin)''

(It is the seven repeated (verses) and the Glorious Qur'an that I was given.)''

Al-Bukhari, Abu Dawud, An-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah also recorded this Hadith.

Also, Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Hurayrah said, "The Messenger of Allah went out while Ubayy bin Ka`b was praying and said, (O Ubayy!) Ubayy did not answer him. The Prophet said, (O Ubayy!) Ubayy prayed faster then went to the Messenger of Allah saying, `Peace be unto you, O Messenger of Allah!' He said, (Peace be unto you. O Ubayy, what prevented you from answering me when I called you) He said, `O Messenger of Allah! I was praying.' He said, (Did you not read among what Allah has sent down to me.

(Answer Allah (by obeying Him) and (His) Messenger when he () calls you to that which gives you life) He said, `Yes, O Messenger of Allah! I will not do it again.' the Prophet said,

(Would you like me to teach you a Surah the likes of which nothing has been revealed in the Tawrah, the Injil, the Zabur (Psalms) or the Furqan (the Qur'an)) He said, `Yes, O Messenger of Allah!' The Messenger of Allah said, (I hope that I will not leave through this door until you have learned it.) He (Ka`b) said, `The Messenger of Allah held my hand while speaking to me. Meanwhile I was slowing down fearing that he might reach the door before he finished his conversation. When we came close to the door, I said: O Messenger of Allah ! What is the Surah that you have promised to teach me' He said, (What do you read in the prayer.) Ubayy said, `So I recited Umm Al-Qur'an to him.' He said,

(By Him in Whose Hand is my soul! Allah has never revealed in the Tawrah, the Injil, the Zabur or the Furqan a Surah like it. It is the seven repeated verses that I was given.)''

Also, At-Tirmidhi recorded this Hadith and in his narration, the Prophet said,

(It is the seven repeated verses and the Glorious Qur'an that I was given.) At-Tirmidhi then commented that this Hadith is Hasan Sahih.

There is a similar Hadith on this subject narrated from Anas bin Malik Further, `Abdullah, the son of Imam Ahmad, recorded this Hadith from Abu Hurayrah from Ubayy bin Ka`b, and he mentioned a longer but similar wording for the above Hadith. In addition, At-Tirmidhi and An-Nasa'i recorded this Hadith from Abu Hurayrah from Ubayy bin Ka`b who said that the Messenger of Allah said,

(Allah has never revealed in the Tawrah or the Injil anything similar to Umm Al-Qur'an.

It is the seven repeated verses and it is divided into two halves between Allah and His servant.)

This is the wording reported by An-Nasa'i. At-Tirmidhi said that this Hadith is Hasan Gharib.

Also, Imam Ahmad recorded that Ibn Jabir said, "I went to the Messenger of Allah after he had poured water (for purification) and said, `Peace be unto you, O Messenger of Allah!' He did not answer me. So I said again, `Peace be unto you, O Messenger of Allah!' Again, he did not answer me, so I said again, `Peace be unto you, O Messenger of Allah!' Still he did not answer me. The Messenger of Allah went while I was following him, until he arrived at his residence. I went to the Masjid and sat there sad and depressed. The Messenger of Allah came out after he performed his purification and said, (Peace and Allah's mercy be unto you, peace and Allah's mercy be unto you, peace and Allah's mercy be unto you.) He then said, (O `Abdullah bin Jabir! Should I inform you of the best Surah in the Qur'an) I said, `Yes, O Messenger of Allah!' He said, (Read, `All praise be to Allah, the Lord of the existence,' until you finish it.)'' This Hadith has a good chain of narrators.

Some scholars relied on this Hadith as evidence that some Ayat and Surahs have more virtues than others.

Furthermore, in the chapter about the virtues of the Qur'an, Al-Bukhari recorded that Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri said, "Once, we were on a journey when a female servant came and said, `The leader of this area has been poisoned and our people are away. Is there a healer among you' Then a man whose healing expertise did not interest us stood for her, he read a Ruqyah for him, and he was healed. The chief gave him thirty sheep as a gift and some milk. When he came back to us we said to him, `You know of a (new) Ruqyah, or did you do this before' He said, `I only used Umm Al-Kitab as Ruqyah.' We said, `Do not do anything further until we ask the Messenger of Allah.' When we went back to Al-Madinah we mentioned what had happened to the Prophet . The Prophet said,

(Who told him that it is a Ruqyah Divide (the sheep) and reserve a share for me.)''

Also, Muslim recorded in his Sahih, and An-Nasa'i in his Sunan that Ibn `Abbas said, "While Jibril (Gabriel) was with the Messenger of Allah , he heard a noise from above. Jibril lifted his sight to the sky and said, `This is a door in heaven being open, and it has never been opened before now.' An angel descended from that door and came to the Prophet and said, `Receive the glad tidings of two lights that you have been given, which no other Prophet before you was given: the Opening of the Book and the last (three) Ayat of Surat Al-Baqarah. You will not read a letter of them, but will gain its benefit.''' This is the wording collected by An-Nasa'i (Al-Kubra 5:12) and Muslim recorded similar wording (1:554).
Re: The Tafsir Of Alqur'an Karim; An Explanation That Human Mind Can Comprehend by javalove(m): 7:50pm On Jul 04, 2008
May Allah reward you. I remember there was a Sheikh Faisal series on Suratul Fatiha back in the days on Mitv. Don't know if its still on
Re: The Tafsir Of Alqur'an Karim; An Explanation That Human Mind Can Comprehend by samba123(m): 9:11pm On Jul 17, 2008
Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

This definition I can give you about the Basmalah (بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم )[Bismi Allah ArRahman ArRaheem] taken from the book “The Creed” (Ibaadat) written by Sh. Mohammad bin Saalih Al Uthaimeen (RA) rendered in English by: Dr. Saleh AsSaleh.

*.Allah is the Alam (identifying name of title) of the Majestic, Sole, and True God. This noun, which is the Name of Allaah, applies to none other than Him. He, Most Majestic and High, has other Names all of which follow on from His Name, Allaah. The Meaning of the “Allaah” is the Ma’looh (that which is worshipped out of love, magnification, deification and longing) (see shayk Mohammad ibn Uthaymeen’s Sharhul Aqeedah al Waasitiyyah [Damman, KSA: Daar ibnul Jawzi, 2nd. Ed.1415/1994] p. 38 and Sharh Lum’at al –itiqaad (Ismaa’eeliyyah, Egypt: Maktababatul –Imaam al Bukhari (checked by Ashraf Maqsood ). 1412/1992 p.29.

**. Ar-Rahmaan (the One Who is Most Merciful): this is one of Allaah’s particular Names and which denotes the attribute of very great and entensive mercy, which exist with Him ( see Ibnul Qayyim’s Badaari’ Al fawaa’id (Beirut, Lebanon: Daarul Khayr, 1st ed. 1414/1994) vol.1 pp 23-24 and ibn Uthaymeen’s Sharhul Aqeedah al waasitiyyah, ibid.

*** Ar Raheem ( The One Who Bestows Mercy): This Name denotes that the Attribute is related to the Marhoom (i.e. the one whom Allaah chooses to receive His Rahmah (Mercy). So, the difference between Ar-Rahmaan and Ar-Raheem is that in the case of the former, Ar-Rahmah is His Attibute, and in the Latter, Ar-Rahman is His Act, meaning that He is the One who bestows Ar-Rahmah upon other. So, when both names come together [i.e Ar-Rahmaan, Ar-Raheem], then the meaning in this context is that Allah Mercy is very great and extensive, and that His mercy reaches His creation. This what is meant by those who say that Ar-Rahmaan is the One Whose Mercy encompasses everything (general Mercy), and Ar-Raheem is the One who has Mercy upon the believers (special Mercy). Since Allaah’s Mercy upon the kuffar is a special one in this life only, then it is as if they have no mercy upon them, because in the Hereafter when they will ask Allaah to save them from Hell and admit being wrong, Allaah will deal with them with His Justice, not His Mercy.
Quran says: Ramain you in it (hell) with ignomity and speak not to Me. (23:108)

The Name Ar-Raheem, is applied to Allah and may be applied to others. Allah has describes His Messenger Mohammad as Raheem (9:128) Ibn Katheer (RA) said: “Some of the Names of Allaah are restricted to Him only, like the Names: Allaah, Ar-Rahmaan, Al Khaaliq, Ar-Raaziq and so forth. Some other Names, however, may be applied to other than Him.” (see Badaai Al Fawaaid, p.24 sharhul Aqeedah Al waasitiyyah, pp 38-39, lum’atul Itiqaad, p29, tafseer ibn Uthaymeen Majmoo Fataawaa (Riyadh, KSA: Daar Ath-thuraya, ist ed 1414/1993) vol 6 p.11

The book/Quran begins with the Basmalah (بسم الله الرحمن الرجيم ) in adherence with the way of Allaah (Swt) in His book and the following the example of the Prophet (saw) who used to begin his letters with it. Given the aforementioned discussion of the meaning of the Names: Allaah, Ar-Rahmaan and Ar-Raheem, the meaning of the Basmalah is: “I begin [in this case “to write or read”] seeking the help and the blessings of each and every Name of the Names of Allaah (swt) whose very great and extensive mercy is His Attribute.”
Re: The Tafsir Of Alqur'an Karim; An Explanation That Human Mind Can Comprehend by mukina2: 4:43pm On Jul 20, 2008
Nine great benefits of reciting the Quran

1 - Reading and reflecting over the Qur’an fulfils an Islamic duty.

Indeed the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) summarised this Religion with his statement: “The Religion is naseehah (sincerity)!” So then Tameem ibn Aws, may Allah be pleased with him, then said, “We asked, ‘To whom?’” He said: “To Allah, HIS BOOK, His Messenger, the leaders of the people, and their common folk.” [Muslim] The sincerity that is due to the Book of Allah includes its regular recitation, learning the rules of tajweed and reciting it beautifully, learning about its tafseer and the reasons for its revelation, affirming that it is the Truth, the perfect Speech of Allah and not part of the creation, honoring it and defending it, abiding by the orders and prohibitions found in it, teaching it and calling to it. [See Jaami’ul-’Uloom wal-Hikam of Ibn Rajab Al-Hambalee] So by reading and reflecting over the Qur’an, one fulfills an obligation and is rewarded for that. Upon fulfilling this obligation, the Qur’an then becomes a proof for him on the Day of Judgment! And that is our second benefit we will take by embracing this Noble Book,

2 - The Qur’an will be a proof for us on the Day of Judgment.

This is due to the statement of the Messenger: “And the Qur’an is a proof for you or against you.” [Muslim] So one of two things will occur with this proof, the Book of Allah. It will either be in your favor, a proof for you on the Day when you will need every single good deed, or it will be something standing against you, the very Speech of your Creator, a proof against you! Who could be saved from the terrors of that Day if Allah’s own Speech is against him?!?! Think carefully, dear Muslim brother or sister, about your position with the Qur’an! Are you neglecting it, contradicting it, being heedless of its orders and prohibitions, are you thinking deeply over it?! Will it be on your side on the Day of Judgment.?! O Allah! We ask you, by Your Glorious Speech and the rest of your beautiful Names and Attributes, to make the Qur’an a proof for us! O Allah! Don’t make the Qur’an a proof against us on that Day, and save us from the hellfire! For if Allah makes the Qur’an a proof in our favour on that Day, then it would also be an intercessor for us, when NO intercession will take place except by His Permission.

3 - The Qur’an will intercede for us on the Day of Judgment.

The proof: Aboo Umaamah relates that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: “Read the Qur’an, for verily it will come on the Day of Standing as an intercessor for its companions.” [Muslim]

4 - Your status in this life will be raised.

In Saheeh Muslim, we find a lovely story, about how a man from the people of Jannah, ‘Umar ibn Al-Khattaab, understood this principle. Some men came to question him during his khilaafah about the leadership of Makkah, they asked, “Who do you use to govern Makkah?” He said, “Ibn Abzaa.” They asked, “And who is Ibn Abzaa?” Umar replied, “A freed slave from those we freed.” They remarked, “You left a freed slave in charge of the people of the Valley (the noble tribes of the Quraysh)!?!?” So he answered them, “Verily he is a reader of the Book of Allah and is knowledgeable about the obligations of the Muslims. Haven’t you heard the statement of your Messenger: “Verily Allah raises some people by this Book and lowers others by it.”

5 - You will be from the best of the people.

‘Uthmaan, may Allah be pleased with him, said that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: “The best of you are the ones who learn the Qur’an and teach it to others” [Al-Bukhari]

6 - There are ten rewards for each letter you recite from the Qur’an.

As an authentic hadith in At-Tirmithee proves: “Whoever reads a letter from the Book of Allah, he will have a reward. And that reward will be multiplied by ten. I am not saying that “Alif, Laam, Meem” is a letter, rather I am saying that “Alif” is a letter, “laam” is a letter and “meem” is a letter.” So increase your recitation of the Qur’an to gain these merits, and to gain the following merit as well.

7 - The reciters of the Qur’an will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels.

‘Aa’ishah, may Allah be pleased with her, relates that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: “Verily the one who recites the Qur’an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

So dear brother or sister Muslim, do not let the Shaytaan give you false excuses, such as “I am not an ‘Arab,” or “Its not my language.” This hadith is a firm proof against these whisperings. Dedicate yourself to the Book of Allah, whether you are an ‘Arab or not! The excuses have been eliminated and the pathway has been cleared for you to embrace the Book of Allah without holding back or offering excuses! And surely you will not hesitate to seek a teacher or a study circle for the Qur’an once you hear the last and perhaps greatest benefits of reading and contemplating over the Qur’an,

8 - Your position in Paradise is determined by the amount of Qur’an you memorize in this life!

‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Amr ibn Al-’Aas heard the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) saying: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: Read and elevate (through the levels of the Paradise) and beautify your voice as you used to do when you were in the dunyaa! For verily, your position in the Paradise will be at the last verse you recite!” [Aboo Daawood and At-Tirmithee, saheeh]

9 - The Qur’an will lead you to Paradise!

The Prophet said: “The Qur’an is an intercessor, something given permission to intercede, and it is rightfully believed in. Whoever puts it in front of him, it will lead him to Paradise; whoever puts it behind him, it will steer him to the Hellfire.” [An authentic hadith found in At-Tabaraanee, on the authority of ‘Abdullaah ibn Mas’ood]

(1) (Reply)

Ramadan Starts Saturday - Sultan / Arabic, A Superior Language??? / Islamic Rulings On Calling Someone A Kafir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.