Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,844 members, 7,820,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down (12369 Views)

Things You Must Consider Before You Buy That Car / Reving Up Car Engine Before Switching Off / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Immune1(m): 12:48pm On Sep 18, 2013
Vehicle engines are amazing electro- mechanical units which sends power to the wheels to set your car in motion-I guess we all know this. But what most might fail to recognize is that vehicle engines never come with specified and rigid life spans when in active use-engines are very likely to last as long as you pamper them to. High mileage engines largely used for long distance travel are bound to enjoy better lubrication than their city bound counterparts. In the same light, component wear is inevitable in engines as time goes by and engine management systems can only compensate to an extent.

Engines produced today are relatively more complex than what we had back in the day. In one of my many discussions with typical road-side mechanics, they maintain that traditional overhauling of engines-changing compression rings, oil rings and re-boring where necessary-is no guarantee that your vehicle will be back on the road in top shape once your engine develops certain un-fixable faults.

Bottom-line, the fact your engine manages to set your vehicle in motion doesn’t mean your engine still has a little more juice in it, at times its cost effective to step aside and cut ties with that engine with unforgivable levels poor performance. But when do you do this? Here are some bankable telltale signs:

Exhaust fumes fuming: blue flames for instance depicts intense oil combustion in the engine, while white fumes means either the rings are completely worn out or the cylinder walls are in bad shape. Very sound engines have water dripping off the exhaust pipes with clear fumes. Very dark fumes in the case of petrol engines means excessive burning of fuel-rich mixture of air and fuel-which in most cases is a consequence of improper vehicle timing if you are lucky.

Soaking plugs: This simply means oil has managed to find its way to where it isn’t supposed to be; it’s only natural for mechanics to try tracing how this came about, but chances are that it isn’t something minor.

Warped top cylinder: whatever caused the distortion must have damaged several other components that just can’t wait to breakdown pretty soon. The rigidity of the engine is compromised as the main hold-down bolts are not firmly in place.

Expanded engine block:[/b]especially when you are dealing with an aluminium engine, this means your engine is closer to its final days of playing home to reciprocating pistons.

[b]Excessive loss of compression:
engine torque generation is largely dependent on the compression action of cylinders and the thrust of the connecting rods. When for any known or unknown reason, engine compression isn’t what it’s supposed to be, you are bound to experience highly noticeable power losses causing the vehicle to feel heavier than it should be in motion.

If your engine ‘knocks’: well this is one word that sends shivers down the spine of vehicle owners; as it means one thing-your engine has packed up. When this happens, your sprocket is stiffened and unable to rotate. Other confirmations include unusually charred engine components when disassembled.

Engine overheats too frequently and it has nothing to do with the cooling system.

When it isn't financially wise to fix again: the problem here is at what point does it become financially unwise to spend more money on your car? Most vehicle owners might be stuck in the same cycle of encountering bad mechanics always coming up with creative ways to rip them off; however, the surest way to evaluate the real projected car expenses for your vehicle is by getting involved and carrying out independent research. For this to happen, you first must make out time for your vehicle.

Remember that the engine is the heart of a vehicle.

Source: http://autobaseafrica.com/when-to-dump-that-engine/

5 Likes

Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Adrenaline123(m): 4:37pm On Sep 18, 2013
Thanks for the info

1 Like

Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by iyatrustee(f): 4:37pm On Sep 18, 2013
hmmmm! my own na to start and drive. I almost knocked the engine of my car sake of say oil short embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by megareal: 4:38pm On Sep 18, 2013
Thanks OP. Hubby must read this.
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Sunymoore(m): 4:43pm On Sep 18, 2013
When to dump a girl

2 Likes

Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by strangest(m): 4:44pm On Sep 18, 2013
Nice one...
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Lilimax(f): 4:45pm On Sep 18, 2013
Very informative @ OP.
Thanks for sharing smiley
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by micklplus(m): 4:46pm On Sep 18, 2013
Very well written. I agree with the outlined points.

Most people don't know that, when your engine gets to this un-fixable stage, such engine should be dumped instantly but then, some wicked naija mechanics would tell you, "oga, nor worry, I go fix am for you."

At that point, na big hole you dey play with for your pocket ooo.
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by adiscodigoxin: 4:53pm On Sep 18, 2013
Thanks for the info,
For all is worth dou,there is nothing better than having a new car that you use for some particular few years and trade in for a newer car,but you know na,Naija de hard my brother

2 Likes

Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by papaejima1: 5:07pm On Sep 18, 2013
Na which kain engine you mean @ OP?

Japanese or German?
My 1984 German benz has had only one engine re-ring and still outclasses many other vehicles on the road.

Although say I don park am for my kids to play hide and seek with, it still answers promptly when needed.

My japanese car sha I don change the engine 3 times.

Nice one sha, OP. Informative.
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 18, 2013
This info came late for me...i fell victim to item no.3...But anyway, I woke up in a discussion continues!!!
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by edwonderz(m): 5:15pm On Sep 18, 2013
I bought Nissan Primera 1998 model last year Feb. (direct tokumbo). It just started bringing out black smokes and guzzle alot of oil recently. Should I change the engine or just go for a repair? Please I need your advice....
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Smartjeezy(m): 5:22pm On Sep 18, 2013
Thanks for the info.
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 18, 2013
kunlekuz3: hmmmmmmmmm
U Should be given the Nairaland Ban of Life.
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Policewoman(f): 5:25pm On Sep 18, 2013
True talk. Thanks for the tips OP.
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Lilimax(f): 5:27pm On Sep 18, 2013
Policewoman: True talk. Thanks for the tips OP.
Nne quite some time wink
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 18, 2013
Here's the photo of some parts removed from the engine,sth which the mechanic called ''top'' was taken away by him to work on.

Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 18, 2013
Sorry 4 d last comment..i thought i was on my build thread.
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by KOMBE: 6:30pm On Sep 18, 2013
My car over heat while traveling from PHC to Onitsha as the water pump failed. I replace the pump and the mechanic said that the car is okay but it was the beginning of the end of the ride. The car was never the same and easily misfires and lost compression and I eventually changed the engine.
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by KA24DETT(m): 6:35pm On Sep 18, 2013
The Question should be " HOW NOT TO RUIN AN ENGINE". Most Nigerian mechanics and car owners alike do not know how to maintain an engine.
I think we should try to educate them more on that topic . It is easy for an Engine to last 400,000km with regular oil change and proper tune up
Most modern engine are very reliable if proper maintenance are done on time .
I still want to know why Most cars in Nigeria require engine replacement after 2 years. Dont get me started on the conversion. Toyota Engine in a dodge,Toyota engine in V-dub. The list is endless

Good thread OP.
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by edwonderz(m): 7:08pm On Sep 18, 2013
edwonderz: I bought Nissan Primera 1998 model last year Feb. (direct tokumbo). It just started bringing out black smokes and guzzle alot of oil recently. Should I change the engine or just go for a repair? Please I need your advice....

, Can someone please help me?
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by disloman(m): 7:14pm On Sep 18, 2013
edwonderz: I bought Nissan Primera 1998 model last year Feb. (direct tokumbo). It just started bringing out black smokes and guzzle alot of oil recently. Should I change the engine or just go for a repair? Please I need your advice....
How many tymes n when last av u serviced d car n what do u mean by a lot of oil?
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Demallcrazy(m): 7:43pm On Sep 18, 2013
Use am sow seed in a Nairalander's life, & ya ministry will move 4rm street 55 to kilometre 302 cool

No End-Tyme-Tinz 4 dis matta! grin

1 Like

Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by emmyluvly(m): 7:47pm On Sep 18, 2013
disloman: How many tymes n when last av u serviced d car n what do u mean by a lot of oil?
For the black smoke, u need to service d carburettor or injector as d case may be. For d reduction in oil its an indication that the rings are weak. My honest advice is, since its a 98 or 99 model, the cost of a complete engine is about 70k anywhere that's at d extreme and if u want to fix these problems is about 35 to 40k, just buy a complete engine. Am not considering u buying half and top because ur injector or carburettor is not even in a good shape, from d problems u gave us that you are currently encountering. My piece. God bless u

3 Likes

Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by edwonderz(m): 8:08pm On Sep 18, 2013
disloman: How many tymes n when last av u serviced d car n what do u mean by a lot of oil?

I serviced my car on the 2nd week of last month and the oil was properly gauged, then a week later the dashboard started blipping oil warning (sign). I'd checked the under of the vehicle and there's no leakage but I keep running shortage of oil so the only thing I do is to top oil every 2days yet the car still brings out massive fume from the exhaust. Please what should I do?
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by edwonderz(m): 8:11pm On Sep 18, 2013
emmyluvly:
For the black smoke, u need to service d carburettor or injector as d case may be. For d reduction in oil its an indication that the rings are weak. My honest advice is, since its a 98 or 99 model, the cost of a complete engine is about 70k anywhere that's at d extreme and if u want to fix these problems is about 35 to 40k, just buy a complete engine. Am not considering u buying half and top because ur injector or carburettor is not even in a good shape, from d problems u gave us that you are currently encountering. My piece. God bless u

Thank you very much....
I truly appreciate...........
God bless you..............
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 18, 2013
But if an engine decides to END its life span at a TIME when THINGS are difficult, what will someone do

2 Likes

Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by edwonderz(m): 8:41pm On Sep 18, 2013
Dem-all-crazy:

Use am sow seed in a Nairalander's life, & ya ministry will move 4rm street 55 to kilometre 302 cool

I wouldn't mind to use it and sow a seed in your life. Contact me if you sincerely need it. It is a private car and I bought it last year February in Port harcourt @ #850,000. It has no other fault aside from the one I mentioned above, so the seed is all yours if you can afford #550,000. FB @ Edward Wonder.
#Onelove#.
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by miqos02(m): 9:34pm On Sep 18, 2013
edwonderz:

I wouldn't mind to use it and sow a seed in your life. Contact me if you sincerely need it. It is a private car and I bought it last year February in Port harcourt @ #850,000. It has no other fault aside from the one I mentioned above, so the seed is all yours if you can afford #550,000. FB @ Edward Wonder.
#Onelove#.
this your sowing style,e get as e be oh?
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Demallcrazy(m): 10:04pm On Sep 18, 2013
okpara ugo: But if an engine decides to END its life span at TIME when THINGS are difficult, what will someone do
End-Tyme-Tinz ni!
Re: When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down by Demallcrazy(m): 10:08pm On Sep 18, 2013
edwonderz:

#Onelove#.
Seed for 550K must be vewy stwoooong, ee nah gor gree germinate 4 ground.

End-Tyme-Tinz my bwoda cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangers Of Cloning Your Plate Number / NDDC To Train Unemployed Youths At Innoson Motors / After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.