Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety (3263 Views)

several Units Of Toyota Camry(tiny Light) Waiting To Be Shipped In @ 790k Each / Up For A Sell Is A Well Maintained Peugeot 406 Autto ST Shipped SOLD SOLD / Up For Sell Peugeot 406 ST Shipped In From France 08055812492 SOLD SOLD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety by zion4us: 7:25pm On Jun 21, 2008
Hello everyone ,
I need an advice from you all.

My Honda Accord 2001 EX was shipped with the key and remote in the driver side door outside key.

I am afraid that, it will provide an easy access for someone to steal anything or remove any parts after it is roll out from the ship.

What do I need to do to intercept the time in between my Honda been roll off from the ship to car lot and when it is cleared. I felt doing this, I will be able to lock the doors and reduce the chances of removing any parts from the car.

Also thought of sending my younger brother to follow up. Do you think he will be granted access to reach the car if I provide him with a copy of the bill of landing.

Also, I thought of calling the shipping company to see if they can give me their agent number in Nigeria who might  :obe in charge of the ship. Do you think this will work ?

Thank you
Re: I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety by fotodaddy: 10:31pm On Jun 21, 2008
my friend, if you (or your brother) are not a licensed agent I strictly doubt that you will have access to the vehicle during off-loading.

Second; if you car was routed through another African port before Lagos, then there is very high chance that it will be vandalized before it ever get to Lagos. So you need to confirm this.

Having done these, you need to get to your agent. The agents have their people and understand the games in the port. They can arrange for the car to be secured (that is if it hasn't passed through another port first)

You can check my thread (in the market for a 2005 look pathfinder) and know that I cleared the car by myself (that is my agent) It cost 400K I gave him 300 in advance and 100 as he delivered the car. The was as spotless as it was sent. So if you dont have a trust worthy agent, I can gladly recommend mine.
Re: I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety by zion4us: 12:48pm On Jun 22, 2008
My dock receipt states that the final destination is Nigeria and port of discharge is Lagos. Do I still need to confirm from the shipping company if the ship will stop in a different port ? Also, are you saying if my car is delivered directly to Lagos it will be safe ?

thanks
Re: I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety by jenju(m): 1:19pm On Jun 22, 2008
zion4us:

My dock receipt states that the final destination is Nigeria and port of discharge is Lagos. Do I still need to confirm from the shipping company if the ship will stop in a different port ? Also, are you saying if my car is delivered directly to Lagos it will be safe ?

thanks

zion4us,

There are primarily 2 shipping companies that do RORO from NJ. Lagos is the first port of call for those ships and you should not have to worry about trans-shippment.

As fotodaddy stated above, your clearing agent is the key person that will help you by paying off insiders who can provide security for your vehicle. The agents' fees typically contains a security component - make sure you stress the security of your car in your discussions with your agent.

Security is generally better if your car is shipped via Grimaldi lines (called ACL on the East Coast). The problem with ACL however is that, while you may have delivered your car to the port and have been given a dock receipt, the car may not leave for Nigeria for Months!

Your Bill of Laden is the only document that will confirm that your vehicle is actually en route to Nigeria.

Next time, never put your remote or spare keys in the car!

Cheers,
J
Re: I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety by zion4us: 2:57pm On Jun 22, 2008
The only reason why I left the remote in the car was because the engine won't start if you open the the car through the door keys.

Do you think I need to contact the shipping agent to see if they handle the security of the car for me when they start unloading the ship ? Since they might have a shipping agent in Nigeria that handles the unloading.

Thanks
Re: I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety by jenju(m): 4:58pm On Jun 22, 2008
zion4us:

The only reason why I left the remote in the car was because the engine won't start if you open the the car through the door keys.

Do you think I need to contact the shipping agent to see if they handle the security of the car for me when they start unloading the ship ? Since they might have a shipping agent in Nigeria that handles the unloading.

Thanks

A couple of questions for you:

(1)What is the name of the shipping line?
(2)Who is custom clearing your car? , generic answer please
(3)Who has your Bill of Laden? , generic answer please

Whoever is clearing your car will know who to talk to about your car's security, those folks have a network that follows unwritten rules.
Re: I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety by zion4us: 6:23pm On Jun 22, 2008
The name of the shipping line is AES (auto export shipping) in Elizabeth NJ

A dealer in Nigeria who also buys and ship cars from the USA. He's clearing my and his cars from same ship.

The bill of landing is with the dealer who's currently in Nigeria. He's been doing this for the past 10yrs.

Although he keep assuring me that there is no problem but I am not too confortable about how it will be done from distance.
Re: I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety by jenju(m): 6:35pm On Jun 22, 2008
zion4us:

The name of the shipping line is AES (auto export shipping) in Elizabeth NJ

A dealer in Nigeria who also buys and ship cars from the USA. He's clearing my and his cars from same ship.

The bill of landing is with the dealer who's currently in Nigeria. He's been doing this for the past 10yrs.

Although he keep assuring me that there is no problem but I am not too confortable about how it will be done from distance.

Since the said dealer has been in business for as long as 10 years in Nigeria, he should be able to secure your car.

AES (Auto Export Shipping) is not a shipping company, it is a freight forwarder that will have to book your vehicle on a Ship operated by a real shipping company. Ask for a copy of the Bill of Laden or ask the dealer to tell you the name of the shipping company on the Bill of Laden.

Once we know the name of the shipping company, I should be able to provide you with additional information.

Cheers,
J
Re: I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety by zion4us: 6:53pm On Jun 22, 2008
Thanks for your advice and clarifications. I will keep you posted once I received the copy of the bill of landing.
Re: I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety by earthrealm(m): 10:34pm On Jun 22, 2008
good advice
@jenju, u gat info on roma de republica?, r they a good shipping coy?, they operate in the east coast
Re: I Am Shipped Through Aes Roro, Please Advice Me On What I Need To Do For Safety by babakuns: 2:49pm On Jun 23, 2008
Employs just in time method to avoid vandalism and unnecessary demmurage, get the prescribed fees ready and be smart with it

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 2007 Hybrid In Naija! / A Registered Toyota Avensis 4 Sale,1998 Model. / 2007/2008 Toyota RAV-4 **clean Title** - N2.8m - [SOLD-OFF]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.