Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,477 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Oliver D'coque Dead? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Oliver D'coque Dead? (4758 Views)

NBC Bans Kako Bi Chicken, Lowkey By Flowsick, Oliver Twist And Others / D'banj's Oliver Twist At Number 9 On The Official UK Charts / Dbanj's Oliver Twist Single Is No1 On UK Urban & Dance Chart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oliver D'coque Dead? by RedHotChic(f): 10:08pm On Jun 21, 2008
Is it true? Did any of you hear that Oliver D' Coque is dead?
Re: Oliver D'coque Dead? by Baro(m): 10:23pm On Jun 21, 2008
cry Just heard it too on NTA Network, This is becoming a season of death harvest in the Music Industry. . . . 1. . 2. . 3. .4. .  . . . . God help us sad

May His Gentle Soul Rest in Peace, AMEN
Re: Oliver D'coque Dead? by Mustay(m): 7:09am On Jun 22, 2008
it's really true
Re: Oliver D'coque Dead? by tosinadeda: 7:24am On Jun 22, 2008
its sad but its true!!!!!
RIP
Re: Oliver D'coque Dead? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jun 22, 2008
oh mon dieu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Oliver D'coque Dead? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 22, 2008
may his gentle music soul rest in peace
Re: Oliver D'coque Dead? by RedHotChic(f): 7:35pm On Jun 22, 2008
RIP Oliver D Coque.

I heard he suffered an instant heart attack.
Re: Oliver D'coque Dead? by smile4kenn(m): 11:16pm On Jun 22, 2008
O by God. I grew up loving his music, May his soul rest in peace
Re: Oliver D'coque Dead? by smile4kenn(m): 3:46am On Jun 23, 2008
How my father died - Uju, Oliver de Coque’s daughter

If there’s anyone who received the greatest shock following last Friday’s death of Highlife crooner, Oliver de Coque, she is Uju, daughter of the late musician who was with her father a few hours before his death.

Shedding tears profusely at her father’s old nite club cum relaxation joint on Sunday, Uju who is an undergraduate of the University of Lagos, told Daily Sun at the club located close to WAEC office, Yaba, that her father had earlier sent her on an errand in the morning of the Friday, only for her to return home to meet the news of his death at Jolad Hospital.

“I was with him on Thursday and early on Friday. He was the one who asked me to go to Yaba (12, Alakya Street, near WAEC) to collect his mails. Although he was no longer using the club as office, many people still send messages across to him through the same address. I had not returned from Yaba when I received a call that my father had been rushed to a nearby hospital.
“My brother, Darlington and those who were with him said he could not be moved to his hospital in Surulere as he was gasping for breath. But I could not make it to the hospital when I learnt that my father was dead.”

On her father’s qualities, Uju said: “I was always with him. My dad was a good man. People always talked about his generosity because he was quite helpful to people either financially or morally. He was a loving father, true friend and a lover of people. I will miss him.”
One of the major admirers of the late Highlife singer and former governor of Abia State, Dr Orji Uzor Kalu reacted to Oliver’s death. “He had a golden voice which took Highlife to the next level. His death came as a shock. When he graced the music awards in Owerri, there nothing to show that we were seeing the last of this great man.”

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola described the death of the King of Ogene Sound as a great loss to the Nigerian music industry. He prayed God to grant his soul eternal rest and the bereaved family as well as the Nigerian music family strength in their moment of sorrow.
In another tribute, the Governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi said Oliver de Coque’s death was a colossal loss to the people of the state.

“I just met him at a function recently and he said he would come and see me so that we discuss how to nurture and develop future talents. I am shocked at the news of his demise,” Governor Obi stated.
In her own reaction, Mrs Patience Akanite, Oliver de Coque’s in-law said: “How I wished he was not dead. He was a very nice man, loving and caring. I have never seen a kind person like him before. He was my husband’s elder brother. His death is so shocking and unbelievable.

For Chief Tony Okoroji, CEO of Tony Okoriji Productions (TOPs), organizers of the Nigeria Music Awards (NMA), which incidentally was the last public event attended by the late musician, Oliver’s death was simply shocking and unexpected .

“The music profession has just lost one of its finest. The entertainment industry in the country has lost one of its great ambassadors. The Igbo nation has lost one of its greatest sons and I have lost a dear friend. There will be other talented Highlife artistes but there will not be another Oliver de Coque. It is a devastating blow shortly after the loss of Elder Steve Rhodes, Sonny Okosuns and Sammie Needle,” said Okoroji.

While PMAN President, Tee Mac was said to have dedicated his performance on World Music Day (Saturday June 21) to the memory of the late Oliver de Coque, a former president of the music body, Charles Oputa (a.k.a Charly Boy) described the development as a devastating blow to the music industry.
In his own tribute, Ekike Asiegbu, President, Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN) observed: “It is very devastating and shocking.”
Anayo Odobeatu, managing director, O’Jez Music, said artistes should unite and pray fervently against further deaths in the Nigerian entertainment industry, especially in the music sector. “I urge the Federal Government and Anambra State to immortalize him so that Oliver’s legacies would remain alive,” he added.

For Hon U.S.A Igwesi, former member of the House of Representatives, the death of Oliver de Coque was a big shock. “We were very close and there was nothing Oliver wouldn’t tell me. I will really miss him,” he said.
Another close friend of the late singer, Barrister Sam Kargbo, CEO of Sam Kargbo Productions and Producer of X-Project said, “Oliver’s death is terrible. I pray God to spare the nation another loss of this nature.”

In the same vein, Chief Nwajiofor Okoli, CEO of Okoli Music and close friend of the late Highlife crooner disclosed that Oliver had his last performance during his (Okoli’s) daughter’s wedding last month. Okoli who hinted further that the late Ogene exponent was billed to perform during the Ihiala Regional Conference billed for the USA said, “As far as Highlife music is concerned in the South East, Oliver was the last man standing and now that he is dead, it is hoped that H ighlife in the east would not die with him.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2008/jun/23/newsbreak-23-06-2008-001.htm
Re: Oliver D'coque Dead? by RedHotChic(f): 5:12pm On Jun 23, 2008
Na waoh. I love that guys music only if he reduced the use of vernacular in his songs for the sake of his non ibo fans.
Re: Oliver D'coque Dead? by dre101(m): 9:21am On Jun 24, 2008
I sympathize with Uju and the rest members of the family.

May His soul rest in Peace.

Amen

(1) (Reply)

[video] Skales Ft. D,banj – "Senrere" / Just Begun - Talib Kweli & Hi-tek Ft Mos Def, Jay Electronica And J. Cole / Ajemina Ft Iyanya - Felele (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.