Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,270 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

The One For Me - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The One For Me (641 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The One For Me by ugonnah(m): 10:53am On Sep 20, 2013
Jus wanna try my hand on something,so here it is...Comments and criticisms are highly welcomed.Thank u...

CHAPTER ONE

"...so those are the reasons why we had embarked on dis indefinite strike.it wuld carry on til the Fed. Govt live up to their promise to us." Those were the words of the president of the Academic Staff Union Of Universities(ASUU) as he addressed the general public durin a press conference concernin their indefinite strike.
The voice of the ASUU president kept replayin in the head of Anthony Alao-Okoye,who was a final yr student in the prestigious University of Ibadan-U.I,for short,studyin mass comm.He didn't like d idea of ASUU goin on strike when he was about to graduate.It was as if his life had come to a pause.To make use of d 'holiday' given to them by ASUU.he decided to spend time wit his mother.He had not seen her for a long time.He spent most of his childhood wit his maternal mother in Ibadan.His mother only came visitin when she was on leave.Tony really looked forward to seein his mother who happened to be d breadwinner of the family.A family that consist of him,his mother and grandma.His father left him and his mother and disappeared to God knows where,after he was born.His father was an ibo man,thus he answered okoye as his surname.Also addin alao before d okoye.
After his father left them,they went to stay with his grandma til his mum got a job as a housekeeper and nurse at of the families residin in Lagos.Since then,he rarely saw her or even had time to spend wit her.That was why his mum suggested he spend this strike period with her in Lagos."guy,this one wey u put hand for jaw dey look outside,ki lo shele " asked Chima,Tony's friend who was goin back home to lagos wit him.They were already in a bus headin to lagos."my guy,mo wa pa o.its jus this ASUU strike that is disturbin me.Why did they decide to go on strike when i wan graduate?!Haba d thing too much.O poju gan,"said an annoyed tony."HA-HA-HA,kile mashe?what wil u do?nothin.Lets jus comply wit their decision and pray they call it off soon,"Chima replied.Although Tony was ibo by birth,he stil spoke yoruba more than ibo,ownin to the fact that he spent most of his childhood among yoruba speakin people.His friend Chima spoke yoruba too,but stil spoke ibo beta.thats why Tony had told him back then in school that he should tutor him on ibo.
The bus started slowin down as they were approachin ibafo,ogun state.The driver was averting towards d side of the road as the passengers asked."Driver,kilo shele?" "Na flat type o.one of the types don less and i go need change am.abeg make una no vex,"pleaded the driver.On hearin this,the passengers began grumblin.when wil dey reach lagos,they thought.This was goin to be a waste of precious time.That was not the case of Tony and Chima.They weren't even in a hurry to get to lagos."Abeg make una no vex.i go change am sharperly" pleaded the driver once more as he brought out his tools and extra tyre.Tony and Chima decided to give the man a had.
As they were almost through with changin of the tyre,a car zoomed past them on high speed and splashed mud water on them!
Re: The One For Me by ugonnah(m): 1:18pm On Dec 06, 2013
"Ah!" "yeh!" "Were!" "oloshi!" Those were the reactions of the passengers who got drenched. "That drivr dey mad o," said chima. The passengers were still lamenting whem the car that messed them up reversed towards them to apologize
The passengers were shocked to ser who the driver was. A girl! She was a young pretty girl who probably was in her early twenties. "Am really sorry about wgat happened. Please it was a mistake. I'm so sor-" she didnt get to finish her apology before chima quickly cut her off. "Abeg, gbenu san jo! You are sorry indeed" She was about to say something just as Tony speaking. "didnt you see the pool of water before you drove into it, or did you just want to show us that you have a car and can now drive,eh?" The girl was speechless.Was it wrong for her to have reversed and apologise to them, she asked herself. The other passengers joined chma and tony in geering at her. Feeling sad and pissed off,she got into het car and drove off.
The bus got fixed and the journey commenced once more. It was smooth ride throughout the rest of the journey. When the bus arrived at its park, Tony and Chima alighted and bade each other goodbye. "ok na,we go see later. Take care and make sure say u call me when you," said chima. "no problem," replied tony. "and remember to wash away dat watet wey dat fine chic pour on us o," chima added jokingly. Tony just smiled and said, "you too o."
As chima boarded a bus enroute to his destination, Tony brought out his phone,and dialed a number. His mom. "hello,ma
mo ti de eko. ok,ma. i've heard.bye". With that, he hung up and boarded a bus heading his way
Re: The One For Me by ugonnah(m): 1:21pm On Dec 06, 2013
pls people, i need ur comments to push forward. thank u...

(1) (Reply)

UN Honours Late Prof. Achebe Today Oct. 30 / BITTER Truth...(africa Arise) / 60 Effective Strategies For Selling More Books By Scott Jeffery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.